Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 23 Mar 2007 (Friday) 23:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First B&W Miranda Wedding Shot

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,463 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 24, 2007 09:47 |  #16

Nice edit...on a wonderful image.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

sponsored links
sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2007 09:50 |  #17

WOW Petra - what you did is really fantastic!

I had something like this in my mind's eye when I first attemtped to conceive the result, but then a lot of the tones just ran together, I lost the range and it turned to mud. This darker concept works very well, especially the way it appears to be a little vignetted at the corners?

Your cloud burn made a difference too - I'd left that alone, just seeing what sort of effect the Miranda red filter would have by itself. I can almost imagine the dragons flying over the lagoon, heading towards London's Big Ben, even though this is just Cleveland Ohio :lol: .

And I think this is one of the great things of art, photography and interpretation. It always impresses me how one scene can be interpreted several different ways by as many people, either through selective cropping, mood enhanced lighting (dodge, burn, contrast) softness of detail (grain or no grain) as well as point of view.

This sort of thing is helping me to get back into the "black and white darkroom." The last time I did any sort of wet B&W work was 1979 in my apartment, right before getting married. I still remember those pleasant words from my loving wife: "Stu, this is a kitchen, not a darkroom - I'd prefer not to be poisoned by any of your concoctions." ...... still trying to figure out the meaning of her subtlty..:rolleyes:

Petra, your effect reminds me a little of an action I've seen around here called Midnite Sepia I believe? Except this would be the B&W variant of such a thing.

CyberPet wrote in post #2922413 (external link)
Stu, this image has some great potential... and I don't think you went the right way with it, even if IR is cool. I used the image you had to play with a bit, so the quality is not the best, but I think you get the idea.

I love the sky, you need to bring it out, make it darker! There's a very timeless feel to this image, even if the pavement gives it a way a bit, it coudl have been a shot taken 100 years ago. Now here's my more gloomy interpretation of your image. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Pee Ess... I'm not that found of actions, but I do run one action that gives me a fairly good b/w to start with, and then I work the image with doge and burn, layer masks up the the yin yang. I love playing with b/w's!

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2007 10:35 |  #18

tim wrote in post #2921947 (external link)
Stu, can you post the color version, or email it to me? I'm pretty sure I can do better in 60 seconds.

Sure Tim, here it is. You can see I did a little straightening and cropping... wanted to get rid of my station wagon on the right side.;) Sixty seconds? OK, I'm timing you....:lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2007 11:33 |  #19

Thanks Stu! If you want - send me the original file (I'll pm you my email addy) and I'll upload the full psd-file on my server once I'm done, and you can investigate what I did to it as I'll leave all layeres intact, etc.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2007 12:22 |  #20

NBEast wrote in post #2921478 (external link)
Wow, thanks Stu! Nice prompt to go check out Miranda's stuff.

Looks like the original didn't lack either.

Thanks for checking it out - I appreciate your input and point of view. ;)

GEAR LIST

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 24, 2007 17:17 |  #21

I think Petra nailed it (great job!), so i'll leave this one. Have a play with the channel mixer to convert to B&W as a good starting point.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2007 18:39 |  #22

song4themoon wrote in post #2922489 (external link)
I love Cyber Pets edit, has a more emotional/dramatic look.. exactly what I look for in a b&w

I do agree Jenni that Petra's interpretation has a stronger emotional punch to it. The image would be appropriate for some dark graphic novel, while my "lighter" viewpoint would be more akin to a screen print.

GEAR LIST

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2007 18:40 |  #23

tim wrote in post #2924358 (external link)
I think Petra nailed it (great job!), so i'll leave this one. Have a play with the channel mixer to convert to B&W as a good starting point.

Ah! You bowed to the fair lady, Tim. You chose wisely ;) . I've found in my later years that deferring to the fairer sex was often smarter if not gallant.

GEAR LIST

Pamela107
320 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 24, 2007 19:42 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #24

Petra

Perfect edit!

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 70-200 4L
Mamiya 645 Pro
www.exposedimages.net (external link)

_Jo_
819 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 25, 2007 02:37 |  #25

Once again Petra - perfection! :)

www.jolenestewartphoto​graphy.blogspot.com (external link)

tlc
Goldmember
1,782 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 25, 2007 06:13 |  #26

beautiful 'fairytale' look to it.

http://www.tamicurtis.​com (external link)

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2007 10:26 |  #27

tlc wrote in post #2926741 (external link)
beautiful 'fairytale' look to it.

Thank you tlc. I wanted to give things an old "turn of the century, promenade around the lagoon look," and think I got pretty close to it. You see this look in old European postcards and some of the master's old ink prints.

Cleveland is certainly not Europe :D , but we have an incredible museum system and this was taken by the lagoon at the Cleveland Museum of Art.

This reflecting pool and gardens is a very popular venue for wedding work. With it's marble staircases, columns, old style light poles and other landscaping and architectural niceties it's a magnet for local photographers. The wedding limos are often bumper to bumper, but fortunately that was not the case in what was really a mild January.

GEAR LIST

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2007 10:33 |  #28

I don't know how I missed this thread. I love Petra's version. I was going to suggest more contrast and a vignette, but she nailed it, as Tim said. The pic has great texture in it. Very beautiful! :)

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2007 10:41 |  #29

Yes Jessiper - I've seen some of Petra's other work and really like her interpretation of subject and composition. She's got a nice grasp of capturing mood.

GEAR LIST

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,463 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 25, 2007 12:05 |  #30

Yes, a beautiful edit, but you captured the moment ;)

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

sponsored links

3,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
First B&W Miranda Wedding Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.