Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 28 Mar 2007 (Wednesday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jessops - profit warning

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 28, 2007 09:29 |  #1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/​1/hi/business/6503633.​stm (external link)

If Jessops weren't so damned expensive for a lot of their stuff, maybe sales wouldn't be down so much...

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

sponsored links
kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 28, 2007 12:22 |  #2

Summary justice perhaps?

I think most of us in the UK will concur whole heartedly with your remark.

If only they would market at competative prices then they would not find themselves in their current position.

Surely a company as big as Jessops has the benefit of bulk purchasing that the smaller dealers do not. Why is it their prices don't reflect this?

I will be amazed if this company manages to remain in business very much longer.

I can only feel sorry for the staff they are letting down and who could end up on the bread line, should my prediction comes to pass!

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,939 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 28, 2007 12:29 |  #3

It seems to me that Jessops Senior Management have failed to grasp the fact that Digital Photography and the Internet go hand-in-hand.

If we want to buy in the UK all we need to do is check the likes of Camerapricebuster to get the best prices and Jessops are usually well down the list....then there's the option of Importing and saving hundreds of pounds on higher-spec gear.

You can either carry limited stock and rely on the less well-informed user parting with £££ or adopt the pile high & sell cheap approach. Jessops seem to prefer the former and they're paying for it.

I won't be shedding a tear at these results.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.uk (external link)

perfect_pixel
454 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 28, 2007 13:43 |  #4

"...While unit sales have held up, Jessops has been hit by the falling price of cameras which has cut profit margins..."

Has anyone noticed Jessops cutting their prices in line with the falling price of cameras??

I know nothing at all about the company, how it has been run or even it's motivations but they do seem to have been trying to take the p*ss. It is a shame though, the staff in my local stores are friendly and knowledgeable and quite often have admitted that their prices are pants. I would feel bad for them but not for the company.

Mind you 15p a share.....worth a punt??

IMAGE: http://cosgan.de/images/midi/ekelig/a050.gif

Steve

"...Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure..." ~Tony Benn

Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 28, 2007 13:59 |  #5

15p a share, hehe! Worth a punt??? Maybe! But I don't think they will be as good as google shares growth! I said to my Dad can you buy me some google shares, well he didnt! now look at them :(

Jessops is a hard one, you just have to look at every trader in the highstreet, all are generally down on profit due to the internet, both customers going to shop online and margins becoming tighter.

People tend to go in have a look then go home find the best price and buy it online, it comes next day?? What more does a customer want?
Well they always want to be able to take the item back and get an immediate replacement when it goes wrong (cannot do that online), get more advice from the company your buying from (You cannot normally do that online, although you can get information about products easily online.)

I don't think any shop like Jessops will pick up business unless they diverse and offer something new and worthy of use shopping there... Free Cleaning Service with every dSLR?? Just thinking out loud!

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

Simon ­ Harrison
"Bag Snapper"
3,053 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 28, 2007 16:19 |  #6

High street retailers like Jessops need to start differentiating themselves in other ways to remain competitive. I for one will pay a slightly higher price on the high street if I know that :-

a. I'm going to get honest, straightforward advice from knowledgable sales staff

b. I can walk in and return / exchange the gear without any quibble if something goes wrong.

Places like Jessops will never be able to match the cheapest of the internet or offshore prices, but they seem way overpriced IMHO just now. They do need to work on other things rather than price though to regain their customer base.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/srhmoto/ (external link)

woollyback
926 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 28, 2007 22:34 |  #7

A good example for me where jessops have got it wrong. Middlesbrough town centre Jesspos branch... next door but one RGB labs.

Totally different outlook on customer value and service, spent ages in RGB last week talking about options for what I wanted to purchase and they couldn't have been more helpfull.

As simon said, you don't mind paying a bit extra if you get something for it.

Rob

Wazza
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 28, 2007 23:21 |  #8

Interesting.

I'm looking at travelling and working in England for several months till at least the end of the year. I was considering working for some company such as this, or assisting a photographer somewhere in Kent/London.
Any other good retailers who aren't so dear?

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

mamasad
27 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 30, 2007 08:01 |  #9

hi I also use this sit to get some cash back its not much but every little helps http://www.quidco.com/ (external link) got my 400d from jessops online for £459.79 and got 3% cash back from quidco but I do agree that prices are higher in the UK than in Europe and us.

sponsored links

531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jessops - profit warning
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.