Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Apr 2007 (Thursday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you own/use a radio trigger for your strobe?"
No, I don't own/use one.
20%
Yes, I have Pocket Wizard.
33.7%
Yes, I have Alienbees.
8.4%
Yes, I have eBay cheapo one.
27.4%
Yes, I have something other than above.
10.5%

95 voters, 95 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Radio trigger poll

Amorous
875 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 05, 2007 19:56 |  #1

I'm not sure if this kind poll was done before, but I'm curious to know how many people use/own a radio trigger. Please cast the poll even if you don't have one.

My web site: http://kaitcilla.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)

Los Angeles area local photography group: http://lashooters.org (external link)

sponsored links
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 06, 2007 01:27 |  #2

Just got a B800 to go with the B400 and included two AB transmitters & receivers. Tried the units on one light and they seem to work well.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 06, 2007 06:51 |  #3

I have the cheap radio triggers with a cheap set of strobes, the only problem I found (only last week) was that my 5D doesn't sync as it should with them at the top sync shutter speed of 1/200.

This was easily solved by reducing the shutter speed to 1/125, no more problems.

Amorous
THREAD ­ STARTER
875 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 06, 2007 12:38 |  #4

steveathome wrote in post #2994358 (external link)
I have the cheap radio triggers with a cheap set of strobes, the only problem I found (only last week) was that my 5D doesn't sync as it should with them at the top sync shutter speed of 1/200.

This was easily solved by reducing the shutter speed to 1/125, no more problems.

How many channels does your radio trigger have? If it has multi channels, you might want to try different channels. I also have a cheapo eBay trigger that was recommended by Lotto, and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

My web site: http://kaitcilla.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)

Los Angeles area local photography group: http://lashooters.org (external link)

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 06, 2007 12:41 |  #5

Only the two channels

philpereira
437 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 06, 2007 13:07 |  #6

AB triggers are just branded ebay triggers. There are several other places that market the ebay triggers (at a higher price of course). Just an FYI :)

And I don't have any yet, I'm considering Calumet Lite Link, Skyports (whenever they come out) as a cheaper alternative to PW.

Canon 30d | Canon 20d | Rebel G film body | AV-1 film body w/ ef 50m f/1.4 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.8 II (deceased) | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 420ex | Nikon sb-24 and sb-28 | Sekonic L358

Kansas City, Boston Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | Pet Photography (external link)

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 06, 2007 13:11 |  #7

Funny you should say that, my £15 pair look identical to a £80/90 pair I see advertised in the UK

Phideaux
195 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 06, 2007 13:16 |  #8

Reading the instruction manual for my Elinchrom FX400s it does say that the sinc speed should be reduced from 200/250 to 125 when using their radio triggers (don't know why). I'm using a £20 2-channel radio trigger set from eBay which seems to be fine for studio work. No doubt if I were working outdoors or in a professional studio with several other photographers all wanting to trigger individual strobes then I'd look toward the top end of the market.

Canon 1Ds MkII, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 100-400L IS, 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm Macro, x1.4 Extender, Gitzo GT3540LS, Wimberley. Elinchrom system.

Opinion should have a foundation based on factual evidence, logical reasoning and experience.

Mayfly
118 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 06, 2007 17:04 as a reply to  @ Phideaux's post |  #9

Pocket Wizards here........so far it is the only sure fire trigger I could find. I currently use 4 of them.

Cheers,
Jason

Canon 5D
Canon 30D
Canon 580EX (2)
Canon 70-200 2.8L
Canon 24-70 2.8L
Canon 1.4X Extender
Bogen Tripods, Monopods, and light stands

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 06, 2007 17:26 |  #10

I just sold my ebay radio slaves to buy some Pocket Wizards so I voted for PW units.

The ebay ones worked pretty good for the money, but sync speeds were bad (like 1/160) and I wanted the PW since I am getting a L-758 light meter.

[[Gear List]]

RSN
60 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 06, 2007 19:04 as a reply to  @ StealthLude's post |  #11

I have the ones sold by Alien Bee and I get 1/250 in basketball gyms.

Equipment list:
Cameras: 1DMark2N, 20D w.grip, Digital Rebel w/grip
Lenses: Sigma 24-70 2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 non IS, 18-55 kit
Flash: Canon 580ex Sigma EF 500 DG ittl
Strobes: 2 Alien Bee AB800 with radio remotes

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,047 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 06, 2007 19:28 |  #12

Amazing that Quantum was the dominant radio slave for so long, for professionals and amateurs alike, and now it does not even get brand name mention in the poll! They are still sold, unlike products which have disappeared from stores.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 06, 2007 23:25 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #2997762 (external link)
Amazing that Quantum was the dominant radio slave for so long, for professionals and amateurs alike, and now it does not even get brand name mention in the poll! They are still sold, unlike products which have disappeared from stores.

I find this very odd also. There are likely of tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of quantum radio slaves in use.

They are dependable and a good product, and I am sure still being purchased.

But, it seems that most are unaware of this product offering since pocket wizard units are so pervasive.

Many think pocket wizards are the only highly reliable product offering for this type of product.

This is sort of like the situation with the Alien Bee flash units. Despite the fact there are numerous highly reliable and functional brands of flash gear available, and being purchased and used (Profoto, Speedotron, Elinchrom, Novatron, Dynalite, Norman, Bowens, Balcar, Photogenic, White Lightning, etc, etc, etc). Alien Bee is about the only flash gear that is discussed on this forum. It is not that the AB gear is not good gear, it is, but how can the banter have grown to seem it is the only gear with desirable attributes.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Palendrone
98 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 07, 2007 04:14 as a reply to  @ FlashZebra's post |  #14

Bowens Pulsars all the way!

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2007 10:39 |  #15

I've been using eBay cheapos for about a year. Reliable so far, but my livelihood doesn't depend on them and I don't do that much studio work. I'm pretty likely to test mine in the great outdoors this summer with some eBay Novatrons in a pretty grueling situation. If I do this, I may actually post a picture!

sponsored links

2,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
Radio trigger poll
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.