Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Apr 2007 (Friday) 01:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Help - Importing

Detrimental
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2007 01:19 |  #1

Hello, I am trying to use lightroom and when trying to import I have issues. Some times it will simply just stop importing, the progress bar will remain on one file and just sit. The program remains useable but the import does nothing and trying to cancel it does not work. I would have to close the program and restart and try again to get the photos in. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you found any solutions besides constantly restarting to try to get the photos in?

Thanks

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 06, 2007 01:21 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

sorry, haven't had an issue like that. Did you remember which photo it was? maybe its corupt.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Detrimental
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2007 01:37 |  #3

Its done it importing different files. It is not a specific photo but rather just the operation itself. The photos are on local hard drive organized in folders. The photos in cr2 format have existing xmp files from ACR (3.7?) in photoshop, can it read this old XMP files and apply the settings?

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

rfreschner
ishka bibble
2,576 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 06, 2007 06:06 |  #4

Detrimental wrote in post #2993714 (external link)
The photos in cr2 format have existing xmp files from ACR (3.7?) in photoshop, can it read this old XMP files and apply the settings?

Yes, it should be able to.

Rick
"We both can't be wrong; I must be right"
Bob Welch
Gear List

gparvan
788 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 06, 2007 08:39 |  #5

How much memory do you have on our machine? What other programs do you have running too?

When I have lots of other stuff running LR will bog down and sometimes I have to wait a bit. Last night I imported a 131MB file and came right in, though much slower than a 2MB file.

ps2user
107 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 06, 2007 13:15 |  #6

I've noticed sometimes when i import my raw files, it tries to import but i get nothing imported and the import button becomes greyed out. I just close lightroom and start it again and re-import it again. Good thing there is an option to omit duplicates.

Canon 5D Body
Canon 16-35 L, 50 L, 85 L MK1, 24-105 L IS, Canon Speedlite 550EX
Sigma 70-200 Macro

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 06, 2007 13:21 as a reply to  @ ps2user's post |  #7

Are you on a Mac or a PC? I am currently importing huge folders of images on a Mac. I haven't experienced that but I'll let you know if I do.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Detrimental
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2007 13:22 |  #8

I had to turn off "render standard previews" to get it to import with almost no problems. and now I am having it render 1:1 previews of everything now that all the pics are in the library. I just hope once everything is in it will not be as buggy and if it is going to continue to be buggy that an update or next release fixes the issues I am having.

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

bugsyseigel
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:23 |  #9

hello!

hey, i was wondering if anyo ne can help me, when i have imported photos into LR from a specific location and i then move the photos to another location, i look for them again and am able to see the images but am not able to make any adjustments or edits to them, it just tells me image can not be found, so i try to import the photos from their new location, only to be told that these images already exist in the catalogue. i go back to the images and am still unable to edit them... the only way aroung it that i have found is to remove the images from lightroom and reimport them a fresh... is this the only way? surely if LR can see that the photos already exist... why cannot it make that link????

please let me know if you can help, as its a bit of a pain! bugsyseigelesquire@yah​oo.co.uk (external link)

thanks!

james

viperx27
305 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:34 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

bugsyseigel wrote in post #4431986 (external link)
hello!

hey, i was wondering if anyo ne can help me, when i have imported photos into LR from a specific location and i then move the photos to another location, i look for them again and am able to see the images but am not able to make any adjustments or edits to them, it just tells me image can not be found, so i try to import the photos from their new location, only to be told that these images already exist in the catalogue. i go back to the images and am still unable to edit them... the only way aroung it that i have found is to remove the images from lightroom and reimport them a fresh... is this the only way? surely if LR can see that the photos already exist... why cannot it make that link????

please let me know if you can help, as its a bit of a pain! bugsyseigelesquire@yah​oo.co.uk (external link)

thanks!

james

when you move the images, I assume you are moving them via explorer and not lightroom. you really need to move them via lightroom.

in this case, find the missing folder/images, right click and select locate missing files, point to them and it will fix the missing links.

LR is a DAM, so it needs to be in charge of moving/importing/expor​ting and everything else. If you do any of that away from LR, it only makes for an up hill battle

sponsored links

1,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom Help - Importing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.