Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 07 Apr 2007 (Saturday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For the love of Landscapes

HectikHector
151 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 08, 2007 12:49 |  #16

Excellent pic!

-Hector

Canon 40D | Canon 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Speedlite 430EX | Manfrotto 3021BPRO w/488RC2 Head
My Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/h​ectikhector (external link)

sponsored links
beckerg511
42 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 08, 2007 13:48 as a reply to  @ HectikHector's post |  #17

wow. those pictures on your website are awesome!

my flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 08, 2007 14:18 |  #18

Marc Adamus wrote in post #3005802 (external link)
Do you mean sharp as in for web presentation or for print? Every resolution, every print size, every application, etc. may require different levels of sharpening, and sometimes different techniques.

Yeah, I know. I'm assuming they are as sharp in prints as they are on your site, but I'd personally like to know how you get them sharp for printing.
Thanks,
Ben

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2007 14:25 |  #19

Marc Adamus wrote in post #3005802 (external link)
Do you mean sharp as in for web presentation or for print? Every resolution, every print size, every application, etc. may require different levels of sharpening, and sometimes different techniques.

Could you explain what other techniques you use for certain situations? I must agree that your images have an incredible sharpness to them!

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

garibaldi
671 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 08, 2007 14:26 |  #20

Wow, absolutely stunning shots from your website, I wish I can get to your level someday.

Marc ­ Adamus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 08, 2007 15:13 |  #21

I'll go over my web sharpening method first. This is very unconventional, but is now used by most people who I've showed it to. Use this technique to create ultra-sharp web sized images between 500 and 800 pixels.
- Take your full resolution image and reduce its size to between 1000 and 1500 pixels.
- Apply a "Sharpen" filter (easy, right?) two times.
- This creates a very noisy, oversharpened mid-size image.
- Reduce size again to the desired resolution, such as 700 pixels.
- And there you have it - ultra sharp appearance. But you have to make this work for each and every image. Some images require the "Sharpen filter" step at lower or higher resolutions, and occasionally, I will even apply this filter three times before reduction. Sometimes, slight additional adjustment to saturation levels is required post-sharpening. Other times, I will 'Lasso' specific areas that could benifit from further sharpening. Additionally, you can do touch-ups with a 'sharp brush'.
- This is the most effective method for web sharpening I have discovered, and basicly tricks PS into applying an ultra-fine USM.

Sharpening for print can require a different process. Here are some tips to keep in mind.

- I'm assuming most of you are only interested in sharpening methods for printing to ink papers or traditional photo papers, so I'll cover these.

- Always sharpen for the SIZE OF PRINT you are making. The amount of sharpening used for a 30x40 is not going to be the same as the amount used for an 8x12. When I process an image to print on my Epson at 8x12 inches, the very same image file would be very much oversharpened were I to use it later for a 30x40.

- Do not always sharpen the entire image uniformly, particularly if you feel noise or grain could be an issue in dark areas, skies or water. Make sure you are selecting the areas that need sharpening so you'll maintain a clean look. Click to 'print size', and then zoom in another click or two to give a rough idea of how much sharpening is required, and make sure you spot-check before sending it to the printer. Experiment! The fine-tuning of the printed image is a processing art unto itself.

- Some additional plug-ins that let you get the most out of your sharpening are PK Sharpener, and TLR pro sharpener (free download). Of course, go ahead and try my web-sharpen method here too. You might just be surprised at how well it works when the image is enlarged to double it's original resolution, and 'sharpen filtered' a few times before printing. Note that there is a full-resolution sample image available on my site in the "image quality" section.
I've never been one to take the textbook on PS for granted. I experiment, I invent, I do what works for me - or at least explore all my options first. Ask 10 different photographers and you'll get as many responses about sharpening for print. These are just some ideas to throw out there.

El ­ Duderino
Goldmember
1,921 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 08, 2007 15:44 |  #22

Incredible shot.

Wasn't one of your pictures in this month's issue of Popular Photography?

Nikon D600 | Bower 14mm f/2.8 | Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR | Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
500px (external link) | flickr (external link)

red ­ hot ­ sheep
Goldmember
1,576 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 08, 2007 15:55 as a reply to  @ El Duderino's post |  #23

Wow wow wow. Stunning. And I could lose hours at your website.

My Gallery (external link)

ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2007 15:55 |  #24

Marc, thanks man I will try some of these techniques you've listed. Thanks for posting those!

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

Marc ­ Adamus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 08, 2007 15:57 |  #25

El Duderino wrote in post #3006590 (external link)
Incredible shot.

Wasn't one of your pictures in this month's issue of Popular Photography?

Yes, Thanks. My 'Crater Lake' shot was on the cover and across 2 pages inside.

elfy
812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 08, 2007 17:02 as a reply to  @ post 3005802 |  #26

Hey Marc,

Strangely enough, I was just checking out your website earlier today, after seeing some of your images featured in this months Digital Photo magazine here in the UK. I have to say, there are some absolutely stunning photos on there. Keep up the good work man and I'll continue to check your site.

Here's my gear: Canon 1100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 55-250mm, Speedlite 430EX flashgun
A Year In Photos - My Project365 (external link)
www.colinelliotphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Marc ­ Adamus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 08, 2007 17:11 |  #27

elfy wrote in post #3006874 (external link)
Hey Marc,

Strangely enough, I was just checking out your website earlier today, after seeing some of your images featured in this months Digital Photo magazine here in the UK. I have to say, there are some absolutely stunning photos on there. Keep up the good work man and I'll continue to check your site.

Thanks. I gotta say though, I should be in touch with their editors about the print quality of those shots. They could have done better with the files I sent. I'm not exactly thrilled with their representation. But I'm picky, of course. I have the cover shot next month, so hopefully it looks better.

nburwell
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 08, 2007 17:34 |  #28

Outstanding shot. The b&w conversion works quite well. Very dramatic scene. Great job!

shesgotthepic
734 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 08, 2007 18:20 |  #29

Marc Adamus wrote in post #3006909 (external link)
Thanks. I gotta say though, I should be in touch with their editors about the print quality of those shots. They could have done better with the files I sent. I'm not exactly thrilled with their representation. But I'm picky, of course. I have the cover shot next month, so hopefully it looks better.

I used to live in the town of the publishing company for the mag.

Got to say - wonderful shots. Have bookmarked your website.

Gear list:
350D, 28-105 3.5-4.5 (SOLD), 50-200 3.5-4.5, Tokina 28-70 2.8 SV Pro, nifty fifty (SOLD).
My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthep​ic.com/Blog/Blog.html (external link)

KWELI1
120 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 08, 2007 19:06 |  #30

Wow!!!! Your photography is some of the best I have seen on this forum! Your website is beautiful to say the least. You have a great gift and great vision! What percentage of your shots would you say you use a GRAD ND filter on? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks for sharing you work!

http://www.pbase.com/k​eith_withrow (external link)
Canon EOS 20D
EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links

11,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
For the love of Landscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.