Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 09 Apr 2007 (Monday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My most exciting experience with swallows..... :D

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 09, 2007 09:36 |  #1

The past Easter weekend, it was rainy, windy and cold here in Austin, Texas. I have decided to head out anyway. I'm glad i did because it turned out to be one of my best birding days. :D
I saw some swallows started hovering in the sky. Normally they come back from the south in late spring as the temperature starts to rise but then we had this record-breaking cold front from the artic north this past weekend. So, these swallows just landed in group on the pavement road. I drove really slow hoping they would take off as my vehicle approaching. They were right below my front bumper and I couldn't see them. I didn't want to risk running over them so i drove to the shoulder of the road to bypass them. I could see still see them from the car window as i passed them. I took some photos but the pavement makes horrible surrounding. Then something came to my mind. I parked the car right next to these swallows, opened my car door, placed my camera+lens on the driver seat to get lower angle. Nope, didn't work. Entire frame was still bright and the swallow was dark. I said to myself, what the heck, just step out the car, lay down on my belly, lens hood touching the pavement in order to get some green bg in the frame. :lol:

These turned out to be Barn Swallows. Hope you like the images. They are uncropped. Only pp'ed and resized for web. C/C welcome.

Is it me or do these swallows look similar to penguins? :lol:

You can still see the rain.
500mm, f7.1, 1/200s, ISO400, EC-0.33, Flash on, 12mm extension tube.

IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/450150237_486ddd379c_o.jpg

"I am all wet. Go away!"
500mm, f7.1, 1/160s, ISO400, EC-0.33, Flash on, 12mm extension tube.
IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/450150225_0b62041697_o.jpg

"I need a tower and a cup of hot chocolate.:
IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/450138448_fee9ef8858_o.jpg

"Zzzzzzz....Zzzzzzz...​."
IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/450138452_81070dd69f_o.jpg

Mommy said, "This is what you get when you fight at home."
266mm, f7.1, 1/400s, ISO400, EC-0.33, Flash on, 12mm extension tube.
IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/450138456_d78e711095_o.jpg

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

sponsored links
JimLittle
Goldmember
3,279 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2007 09:43 |  #2

Wow! The extension tube worked really well to fill up the frame like that---great shots!

Linuxboy00
340 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2007 09:54 as a reply to  @ JimLittle's post |  #3

Sweet pictures, they do look like little penguins!

Jamie - http://jameilloyd.org (external link)Photo Gallery (external link) Canon Rebel T1i EOS 500D with 18-55mm IS kit lens -Sigma Bigma - Canon EFS 55-250 IS - Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro

Sindri ­ Skulason
Cream of the Crop
10,403 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2007 10:24 |  #4

Wow...fantastic shots. It certainly paid off getting down and dirty. These are outstanding low angle shots and the bokeh is simply perfect. All shots are super sharp with excellent details. Brilliant work as always Fee. :-)

Best regards

Sindri

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2007 10:30 |  #5

Wonderful shots Fee. Too bad you didn't have a cup of meal worms, they probably could have used a snack. There are reports of early arrivals up here starving to death.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Gary ­ Fairhead
Cream of the Crop
12,425 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 09, 2007 10:37 |  #6

Excellent series here Fee and nice technique to get the images you want. Well worth the effort as they turned out beautifully with that wonderful BG.

Gary Fairhead C/C welcome .....

Canon 30 D,50D, Canon 500 F4 IS, 400 F5.6L ,200 F2.8L, 28-105mm F3.5-4.5, 1.4X TC/, Canon 580EX /Canon 100 2.8 Macro
http://www.pbase.com/p​hotofair/root&page=all (external link)

Reyno
Cream of the Crop
7,037 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 09, 2007 10:48 |  #7

Outstanding captures with beautiful colors. But what I really liked about these is the timing, the low angle perspective, and the creamy bokeh, and the water droplets on the feathers are surely a bonus. Very well done Fee.

Best regards - Reyno
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/reyno/ (external link)

bromm
Cream of the Crop
6,920 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2007 11:34 as a reply to  @ Reyno's post |  #8

Very nice Fee, as said above the low angle really makes these shots stand out, great color and detail. very well done.:D

Trevor Wadman

Canon 40D/350D Canon 400L F/5.6, Canon 70-200L F/4 non IS. Tamron 100-300,Canon 18-55 Kit Lens. Canon 1.4 II Extender, Canon 430EX speedlight.
http://s41.photobucket​.com/albums/e286/bromm​/ (external link)

Accentor
647 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 09, 2007 13:26 as a reply to  @ bromm's post |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Love the rain drops in #5 - all very good shots.

Canon 400D, (1DMkIII pre-ordered), 500mm f/4 L IS, 70-210 EF, 1.4x TC, BG-E3 grip, Manfrotto 055 + Wimberley II head, Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW backpack, Crumpler bag.
"The glass in front of the camera and the flesh and blood behind it are more important than the camera itself". :rolleyes:

Adi7r
945 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2007 13:33 |  #10

Great shots Rebel, love to get a close shot of a swallow over here.

Adi
flickr (external link)
ephotozine (external link)

Booswalia
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 09, 2007 13:51 |  #11

Spectacular. You must be very pleased with them.

Canon 7D, 450D, various lenses, a bottle of Muskol
Join me on Facebook (external link)http://sonnyspics.word​press.com/ (external link)

eccles
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 09, 2007 13:54 |  #12

Very well shot, but sad. I hope you get warmer weather soon or these birds will probably die without the flying insects they need.

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 09, 2007 15:28 |  #13

JimLittle wrote in post #3010180 (external link)
Wow! The extension tube worked really well to fill up the frame like that---great shots!

Thanks Jim. They were too close and Bigma couldn't focus. So i slapped the 12mm tube on it to cut down the minimum focus distance. Tubes sure come in handy when you need them. ;)

Linuxboy00 wrote in post #3010243 (external link)
Sweet pictures, they do look like little penguins!

Thanks Jamie. I didn't notice that until i started pp'ing. They look like little penguins with a thick fur coat, a nice collared shirt with a bow tie. hehehe.....

Sindri Skulason wrote in post #3010367 (external link)
Wow...fantastic shots. It certainly paid off getting down and dirty. These are outstanding low angle shots and the bokeh is simply perfect. All shots are super sharp with excellent details. Brilliant work as always Fee.

Thanks Sindri. Really appreciate the kind words. It's always nice to get feedback from another Bigma user. :D

canonloader wrote in post #3010405 (external link)
Wonderful shots Fee. Too bad you didn't have a cup of meal worms, they probably could have used a snack. There are reports of early arrivals up here starving to death.

Thanks Mitch. I wish i could help them in any way but couldn't think of one without interupting nature's course. I think they are able to survive. I sure hope so.

Gary Fairhead wrote in post #3010433 (external link)
Excellent series here Fee and nice technique to get the images you want. Well worth the effort as they turned out beautifully with that wonderful BG.

Thanks gary. They were in the middle of the road and i didn't know what to do. When i finally decided to lay on my belly to try a different perspective, i was worried another car would come by and ran over, not only myself, but the birds too. Luckily it was a bad weather Easter weekend. Not many birders came to the place. Otherwise i won't be here typing this message. lol

Reyno wrote in post #3010482 (external link)
Outstanding captures with beautiful colors. But what I really liked about these is the timing, the low angle perspective, and the creamy bokeh, and the water droplets on the feathers are surely a bonus. Very well done Fee.

Thanks Reyno. Your comment is very motivating. Glad to know people actually enjoy seeing my bird photos, especially great bird photo like yourself. :)

bromm wrote in post #3010711 (external link)
Very nice Fee, as said above the low angle really makes these shots stand out, great color and detail. very well done.

Thanks Trevor. I'm glad there was some grass on both sides of the road that i could use as green bg. Luckily nobody mowed the lawn that day. :D

Accentor wrote in post #3011320 (external link)
Love the rain drops in #5 - all very good shots.

Thanks Accentor. The rain sure adds some effect in the photos. I will serve as a good reminder of what the weather was like when the photos were taken. ;)

Adi7r wrote in post #3011341 (external link)
Great shots Rebel, love to get a close shot of a swallow over here.

Thanks Adi. I would love to photograph any swallow species in Europe. I bet they are just as beautiful. ;)

Booswalia wrote in post #3011418 (external link)
Spectacular. You must be very pleased with them.

Thanks Shirley. These are my best swallow photos so far. Before this, i only have some regular swallow photos. I'm quite happy with these. :)

eccles wrote in post #3011434 (external link)
Very well shot, but sad. I hope you get warmer weather soon or these birds will probably die without the flying insects they need.

Thanks eccles. I think they should be able to make it. When i was ready to leave (3 or 4 pm) the temperature started to rise. A lot of flies and bugs flew into my car. Well, bad for my car but good for the swallows. :D

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

guitarman3
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 09, 2007 16:55 |  #14

Fee, as everyone else has said, these are fine photos. Those tubes seem to come in handy for you quite often. I may need to look into getting some! Very nice work here.

Dennis
40D and grip, black XT, EF 17-40L, EF 50mm 1.8 II, Canon 100-400L, Canon 1.4X, Sigma 1.4x TC, Canon 580EX, Canon RC-1 Remote, Stofen Omni Bounce, Manfrotto 681B w/ 486RC; 3021BPro w/ 488RC
http://dsdphotos.zenfo​lio.com (external link)

Wayne ­ Wood
Goldmember
3,463 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 09, 2007 17:05 |  #15

Fee those are awesome ,,, Incredibly sharp and I love the green BG ,,, exceptional quality here bud

Canon EOS 50D; Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF100-400 IS,Canon EF300 F4.0L IS,Canon EF200mm F2.8L II,Canon EF 50mm F1.8 I,Canon 2x Tele Converter
http://wayne8812.fotop​ic.net/ (external link)http://www.redbubble.c​om/people/wwood

sponsored links

3,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
My most exciting experience with swallows..... :D
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.