Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 09 Apr 2007 (Monday) 15:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AMOS N°004 - wild, wild west

habakuk
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 09, 2007 15:09 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.voegtli.net/gallery/concept/amos_004_300.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.voegtli.net …concept/amos_00​4_1000.jpg  (external link)

(click to get a 1000pix version. this is the minimum size to get a decent effect...)

Once more... "A matter of scale".

After reading the book "Perception and Imaging" by Richard D. Zackia, I went out and started to experiment with the effect of introducing a wrong scale object into a simple shot of something quite familar, like a stone or some tree bark. I wanted to see how the brain reacts to see such a object, how it changes the perception, or how much easier it is for the brain to see something different, just by adding a wrong reference to a known scale.

AMOS N°001: a simple stone, approx. 30 cm height, 45° angle

AMOS N°002: tree bark (birch), approx. 15 cm width, four little color spots added

AMOS N°3: another stone, approx. 20 cm height

AMOS N°004: fallen tree with moss, approx. 15 cm shown here

I think N°2 is quite interesting. Without the color specks, it's clearly a tree bark - what else could it be. However, as soon as the brain detects the color specks, and interprets them as people, the whole scale changes, and at least myself has no problem seeing this picture as a aerial shot.

Interesting thing to contemplate about that effect, and what it means to place other objects into the main scene.

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

Olli
-Mighty Mod-
5,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 29, 2007 15:21 |  #2

One more great series, Ronald.

Though I 'guessed' the second, I still consider that as my favorite. I have tried this 'cheating' some time ago, but I'm truly intrigued to see somebody mastering these.

- olli
My blog (external link), My Instagrams (external link)
"The best travel is a leap in the dark. If the destination were familiar and friendly what would be the point in going there?" (Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari)
Image Posting Rules

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 30, 2007 18:06 |  #3

Thanks Olli. Well, I feel "mastering" is certainly exaggerated... but I'm getting thehang of that principle - and I love it. It opens up such a nice play field!

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 30, 2007 18:19 as a reply to  @ habakuk's post |  #4

I took this recently and thought it looked like a large cliff. I hadn't thought of inserting objects into it to strengthen the impression though. You've given me a good idea.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Larger size here: http://www.flickr.com …s/16097424@N00/​472135903/ (external link)

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2007 02:22 |  #5

Why, yes, add something of a small scale to the scene, and you get another AMOS example!

cheers
®

Virtual Exhibitions:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
AMOS N°004 - wild, wild west
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.