Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 13 Apr 2007 (Friday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TERRI CLARK (The Show) @ Penn's Peak, Jim Thorpe, PA, April 12, 07

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2007 22:15 |  #1

Bio Quote from Web Site:
"She is the first Canadian female to be inducted into the prestigious Grand Ole Opry and has received multiple CMA and ACM Female Vocalist nominations, in addition to a pair of Juno Awards and a remarkable 13 CCMA trophies."

"For close to three years, Terri was the only woman in country music to score a #1 single when she soared up the charts with “I Just Wanna Be Mad,” one of a long string of successes including such hits as “You’re Easy on the Eyes,” “When Boy Meets Girl,” “I Wanna Do It All,” “Poor Poor Pitiful Me,” and “Girls Lie Too.”

All photos taken with the Canon 85mm f/1.8 prime lens...
Comments and critiques always welcome...

#1.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_151.jpg (external link)

#2.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …/IMG_20070412_9​999_77.jpg (external link)

#3.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_202.jpg (external link)

#4. The flirt with the audience

http://i93.photobucket​.com …/IMG_20070412_9​999_61.jpg (external link)

#5.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_243.jpg (external link)

#6.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_228.jpg (external link)

#7.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_149.jpg (external link)

#8.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …IMG_20070412_99​99_291.jpg (external link)

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

sponsored links
livewire-photography.com
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 14, 2007 07:52 |  #2

John just a quik comment as im in a bit of a rush but this set as a whole is just awsome man. apart from missing the guitar head on No.2 i think 4 5 6 and 7 are some of the best examples of your work, they are really great. the framing and energy in 6 and 7 is just immense. I hope hope you like them, They are just fantastic, good going mate.

Cheers

James....

kmb
808 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 14, 2007 08:51 |  #3

livewire-photography.com wrote in post #3039315 (external link)
apart from missing the guitar head on No.2 i think 4 5 6 and 7 are some of the best examples of your work, they are really great.

Heh, I was going to add that in #6 the guitar head is also missing, but it seems to have warped to the other side of the image ;)

Does anyone else have trouble in trying to make out #1? It seems to have a sort of illusion thing going on there, I first thought it was a composite of two images. At first, It sort of looks like she's behind the (miniature) man... Rather intersting.

- Kalle
Bjorklid.net (external link) -
Facebook (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 14, 2007 09:03 |  #4

Quick comment, since I'm trying to actually get some work done today ;)
#1, 5 and 7 are very nice...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

johnstoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2007 09:44 |  #5

livewire-photography.com wrote in post #3039315 (external link)
John just a quik comment as im in a bit of a rush but this set as a whole is just awsome man. apart from missing the guitar head on No.2 i think 4 5 6 and 7 are some of the best examples of your work, they are really great. the framing and energy in 6 and 7 is just immense. I hope hope you like them, They are just fantastic, good going mate.

Cheers

#2 is straight out of camera...it's one of several in burst mode as she ran across the stage... some were taken horizontally, but couldn't get the guitar body or her hat in the pic so I went vertical on this one...

She's a hottie... a real babe...:D so the action shots were frequent, and many... Thanks for the feedback, James...

kmb wrote in post #3039451 (external link)
He, I was going to add that in #6 the guitar head is also missing, but it seems to have warped to the other side of the image ;)

Does anyone else have trouble in trying to make out #1? It seems to have a sort of illusion thing going on there, I first thought it was a composite of two images. At first, It sort of looks like she's behind the (miniature) man... Rather interesting.

#6 is straight out of camera... no trim/crop done... I tried trim out the extra wrap around guitar head, but couldn't fit the pic into any pre-determined crop dimmention...

I'm with you on #1 kmb... :rolleyes: I couldn't tell where to look for contrast between the two of them and had to look several times to find the difference between the two individuals... It is also right out of camera with no crop or trim...and minimal PP...

EDIT: I should mention that; the stage is 5 feet above me and I'm always shooting up... So the guitarist in the back, in # 1 looks shorter...

René Damkot wrote in post #3039499 (external link)
Quick comment, since I'm trying to actually get some work done today ;)
#1, 5 and 7 are very nice...

I agree with you, those are even stronger of the set... Thanks for taking the time to check these out, Rene'...

EDIT: here is a pic representative of Terri at the mike, (kept the entire guitar in the pic) Uncropped/untrimmed, straight out of camera pic......

http://i93.photobucket​.com …/IMG_20070412_9​999_49.jpg (external link)

John Stoy

My Gear List

bmoguy
472 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 14, 2007 10:42 |  #6

johnstoy wrote in post #3039636 (external link)
#6 is straight out of camera... no trim/crop done... I tried trim out the extra wrap around guitar head, but couldn't fit the pic into any pre-determined crop dimmention...

That should be easy enough to clone out.

Great looking set. Your pictures tell me it was a fun, high energy show. 5 & 7 are my favorites of the bunch. Great job.

Basil
gear list

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 14, 2007 11:06 |  #7

#7! Nice set, John. #5 looks like you got carried away with your new found post processing skills ... grainy/noisey, especially on her face/arm. Did you know I don't use noise reduction? I own no noise-wear and it is rarely mentioned and still shoot most everything in .jpg. I shot Jo Dee Messina last night (excellent show!) and looking at these suggests that same high energy smiling mix of energy and enthusiasm ... so you certainly converyed "the story". Good work.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

johnstoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2007 11:43 |  #8

bmoguy wrote in post #3039906 (external link)
That should be easy enough to clone out.

Great looking set. Your pictures tell me it was a fun, high energy show. 5 & 7 are my favorites of the bunch. Great job.

Thanks Basil... I'll have to study the cloning tutorial in PS... My old cloning program was real simple... I could clone by pixel... I'm still clueless about PS methodology...

DwightMcCann wrote in post #3040011 (external link)
#7! Nice set, John. #5 looks like you got carried away with your new found post processing skills ... grainy/noisey, especially on her face/arm. Did you know I don't use noise reduction? I own no noise-wear and it is rarely mentioned and still shoot most everything in .jpg. I shot Jo Dee Messina last night (excellent show!) and looking at these suggests that same high energy smiling mix of energy and enthusiasm ... so you certainly converyed "the story". Good work.

I got back from the show right away at 10:30 PM and started downloading everything... (Shot RAW, bracketed in sets of 3 shots at 1/3 Aperture variable)... Did slide shows in 1 second intervals and by 2AM I had a good idea of the results.

Resumed post processing at 5AM and by 9AM, forwarded pic #7 to the venue and the radio station... They love it too...

All else took another day to select... Surprisingly Dwight... Most of the photos are out of camera...

In #5 she is very beautiful, but was drenched and saturated in RED light... had to reduce the red in RAW and in levels too...

I took your advice to heart and avoided sharpening...Didn't use noise reduction either, except some "Despecle"...

I expect for things to slow up for me in the later part of April and May, entirely... Didn't get my tickets right away and now am undecided which shows I want to photograph... the Summer looks good...

Terri Clark is an entertainer and performer to the max...I think Jo Dee Messina is from the "same school of thought"...

John Stoy

My Gear List

GenNove
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 14, 2007 11:46 |  #9

Love the last pic amazing.

I am newbie with photography just recently purchased a rebel xt to kicks things off
and hopefuly one day i can take amazing pictures like this.

DwightMcCann
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 14, 2007 11:48 |  #10

If you are shooting RAW and only three frames per bracket I'd suggest you shoot at least 2/3 stops if not a whole stop. Yup, ya' gotta' sharpen but it needs to be real gentle ... I sometimes toggle back and forth when I've sharpened (easy in PhotoImpact) and sometimes, particularly on the wimmen, I don't sharpen at all. About #5 ... something has happened that gives it a very grainy look.

Dwight McCann

DwightMcCann
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 14, 2007 11:51 |  #11

GenNove wrote in post #3040175 (external link)

I am newbie with photography just recently purchased a rebel xt to kicks things off

Gen, just read the FAQ and each concert post as it shows up here. Then shoot and bring your stuff back and post. I can guarantee that in a couple of years your shots will be amazing ... oh, yes, well, in half a dozen concerts if you follow advice you will see startling improvements but you will have to post six or eight images from each and take the critiques as constructive.

Dwight McCann

johnstoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2007 11:56 |  #12

GenNove wrote in post #3040175 (external link)

Welcome to the Forum GenNove... Keep reading our stuff and you will soon be right on your way to positive progress... Don't hesitate to ask a lot of questions...

You're starting out with top of the line gear...just keep a close eye on the lenses we use so that you don't commit to an unnecessary stuff ...

This show had very good lighting and I was in the very front row...so everything is relatively close... The lighting made the last shot so good... While returning to my seat from taking full stage shots from the back of the venue... I saw the "lights" and captured #8 as is... I'm not supposed to stand and shoot from the sides... so I slowed down for a couple of seconds to get this one...

John Stoy

My Gear List

johnstoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2007 12:03 |  #13

DwightMcCann wrote in post #3040186 (external link)
If you are shooting RAW and only three frames per bracket I'd suggest you shoot at least 2/3 stops if not a whole stop. Yup, ya' gotta' sharpen but it needs to be real gentle ... I sometimes toggle back and forth when I've sharpened (easy in PhotoImpact) and sometimes, particularly on the wimmen, I don't sharpen at all. About #5 ... something has happened that gives it a very grainy look.

I'll try to work on #5, from the original RAW a few times, to see if the end results will differ... those red pixels are a problem I have after removing the RED light saturation...

I thought of the softness that I would prefer for women's photos too... It's more gentle and unnecessary sharpening takes it away...;)

I wondered about the STOP setting and will start at 2/3... I tried 1 full stop and the range was spread too far apart... However, it depends on the "show specific" lighting, and who is behind the lightboard...

I really appreciate this feedback, Dwight...This was a great opportunity to address a specific, that I have had repetitious issues with...:D

John Stoy

My Gear List

johnstoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2007 22:58 |  #14

Here is #5... This is a new rendition from CR2...:D

http://i93.photobucket​.com …G_20070412_9999​_243-3.jpg (external link)

John Stoy

My Gear List

DwightMcCann
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2007 00:17 |  #15

Oooooo, Aaaaaah, excellent! That takes 15 years off her age! Nice work.

Dwight McCann

sponsored links

9,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.