Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Apr 2007 (Friday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Circular Polarizing Filters, A Question.

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 13, 2007 22:31 |  #1

Hi All,

I recently went to the local photo supply store looking for a Hoya circular polarizer. To make a long story short, I came away with a generic brand (Werner-Hollingsworth) 72mm. They did not have any Hoya, Tiffens, or any of the other well known brands in stock, and I needed it for this weekend.

My question is - are there differences in tonality, or differences in total overall polarizing correction between brands? Or do they all pretty much work at the same level? I'm not refering to multi-coatings, or any other physical differences.

The reason I ask is that the filter doesn't seem too bad at all in its construction and operation, but I begin to wonder if there are other things that would differentiate a generic filter from a name brand, other than construction quality. And I don't have any others to compare from.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I will return this thing next week if it turns out that there are in fact differences in overall effects.

Thanks.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 13, 2007 22:35 |  #2

I believe they all work on the same principles, reducing glare, increasing saturation and contrast. Approximately what did you pay for that filter? That would be somewhat of an indicator of the quality of glass and the effect that you could expect to get.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2007 22:42 |  #3

I would be, perhaps, concerned with low cost filters. The Tiffen you mention above ain't so good. The best are B+W and Heliopan.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2007 23:11 as a reply to  @ jr_senator's post |  #4

I would personally stick to the top 3 brands... B+W, Heliopan, and Hoya... In no particular order, of course... Stick with those brands and you can't go wrong...

- airbutchie :D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

purelithium
Blithering Idiot
1,108 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2007 07:21 |  #5

None of the replies have said the obvious: You get what you pay for. Cheap glass is cheap glass. You will see a higher amount of flare, you may find optical imperfections in the glass, like a small bubble. The coatings of the more expensive ones help reduce flare and reflection off of the edges of the filter, in addition to them being better quality glass overall.

You may find that the cheaper brands work well for you, and that's great!

R.M. Gelan Hopkins
5D|Voigtlander 20 3.5|EF 50mm 1.8 Mk I|430EX
third element photography (external link) | Gear

arg245
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 14, 2007 09:14 |  #6

Thanks you all for your responses. I'm all too aware of "getting what you pay for", and totally agree. However, as I sated above, I was caught between a rock and a hard place, needing a polarizer for this weekend, and they did not have what I was after in stock, therefore, I opted to try the "generic"

ALso, the construction of this filter seems on par with the other Hoyas I have. And yes, flare is a concern, but I haven't run into it yet, as I am very careful to shoot at the proper angles to avoid it.

I'm still wondering though - Are there differences in the AMOUNT of polarization correction, where the "name brands" would, for instance, have more correction than the generics?

By the way, I paid $62 for it. B&H has the Hoya MC for around the same price. In fact, there are differing levels of quality for the Hoyas, ranging from around $60 to well over $100, the diffences being in the level of coatings.

Thanks again.

---------------
Andy Garcia

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 14, 2007 09:19 |  #7

No - polarization is polarization; basically the material blocks all light vibrating in any direction other than the one it's oriented to. It's either "on" or "off", not like color removal.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

arg245
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 14, 2007 11:51 |  #8

Got it! Thanks very much.

---------------
Andy Garcia

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 14, 2007 14:21 |  #9

Well, you may have a pretty decent filter then at $62 - I forget what thread size you were using, so at that price there should be a pretty good amount of quality. Now if you had said $25, that would have been a different story :rolleyes:

arg245 wrote in post #3039534 (external link)
Thanks you all for your responses. I'm all too aware of "getting what you pay for", and totally agree. However, as I sated above, I was caught between a rock and a hard place, needing a polarizer for this weekend, and they did not have what I was after in stock, therefore, I opted to try the "generic"............B​y the way, I paid $62 for it. B&H has the Hoya MC for around the same price. In fact, there are differing levels of quality for the Hoyas, ranging from around $60 to well over $100, the diffences being in the level of coatings.

Thanks again.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links

2,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Circular Polarizing Filters, A Question.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.