Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Apr 2007 (Sunday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2007 10:19 as a reply to  @ post 3139165 |  #46

How do I post. ?? do we have high speed internet.. ha ha ha.. Ok..

we have HIGH priced turtle slow internet $70 a month for dial up @ 2.8k on a good day.

We have adsl for $ 70 per month plus the additional cost of the phone so about $150 per month for 4.5K at times.. ..

and we have this new thing they call wireless.. ha ha ha.! I call it "ridiculous"

tons of problems with this, especially when it is sunny out, it works half way decent when it is cloudy out.

but the big pain is that it often takes 3 hours sometimes just to make a click in a forum such as this. This wireless always times out.

The Postmaster of Point Hope has slowly been going insane over this issue.

I know only twwooo well.. I hear it constantly.. she just happens to live in this house!

Elizabeth Elizabeth!! life is different allright up here in the Arctic and I would not trade this for 10,000,000 or any figure.. The Magnificent Awesome Majestic Gorgous Beauty of Alaska is beyond describing and it has so many different faces of varying eye-poping beauty/ spelndor, and magnificence!

Behold the "Hand' of the Lord,... .. .. His creation, WowoW !!

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/sunset2.JPG

Practice .. .. .. ... .. makes .. ... .. "better":cool:
30 YEARS OF ARCTIC PHOTOGRAPHS (external link)

sponsored links
kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,521 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

May 02, 2007 10:58 |  #47

Thank you and thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts! Incredibly enlightening and inspiring for someone like myself who has seriously considered moving to "the last frontier" but doesn't have the guts (yet) to do it.

Best Wishes,
KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Blog (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2007 11:14 as a reply to  @ kenyc's post |  #48

Well Kenny... you ONLY LIVE...... "once" !

How many times? did I fly from Boston to Alaska. trying to "make it" in this state?

too many times.. .. .. no work was always the reason I had to go back to Boston, but in each case.. when I arrived in Alaska and got off that plane, I did not have one thin dime in my pocket..

I was determined to move / live here.

YOU CAN'T FAIL.. not in this state.. there is way so much work now. not at all like it was 35 years ago..

It depends on what you do for work or what your willing to do for work..!!

I wanted to "retire" from being an IBEW wireman. I wanted more of a "challenge"

Melting snow to develop color film.. CORRECTLY was the biggest photographic challenge of my 40 years in photography.

Alaska is over run with photographers.. and it doesn't matter where you go, your going to see the same images, from every photographer up here.

The northern lights, Mt McKinnley, Caribou, bears, Eagles, etc.

I do know.. they sure need some "dishwashers" here in the Arctic.. ha ha ha..

Washing cups is a tough job up here. The only pay.. you get..... to EAT.

that is all..!!

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/WASH_CUPS2.jpg

Now where else can you wash cups, in the middle of a highway ? LOL We had to evacuate the ice due to south wind, back on land, next to the ice with all equipment, clean cups are needed for coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate.

The amount of work these women do, daily is unbelieveable.. and they never COMPLAIN.. about the work!

Geo
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 02, 2007 11:19 |  #49

Wonderful series and interesting too, "Too much cool here ha"

flickr (external link) FACEBOOK (external link) Canon EOS 5D mark II, Canon EOS 7D,Lens: Canon 24-70 mm 2.8 L, 85 mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.8 Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 [COLOR=Red]L IS[COLOR=Black], Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 , 16-35mm 2.8LII-Flash: Canon 430 EX, 580 EX II, Extender EF 2X II, and much more stuff.
In his own words, "I don't photographer the world as it is. I photographer the world as I would like it to be." Monte Zucker.

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 05, 2007 21:46 as a reply to  @ Geo's post |  #50

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/where.jpg

Just when you finally land one whale, then others become visible.. .. where?

They can see them, but you can't see under the water from here!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

A future Inupiaq whaling Captain of Point Hope Alaska proudly displays his new whaling festival parky!

sprinkles
487 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 06, 2007 10:55 |  #51

incredible series! thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2007 13:06 |  #52

ebondanes wrote in post #3044150 (external link)
Fantastic images. That boat is so very thin!! #1 is beautiful and I bet it would look super in a sepia (maybe a high key sepia). I bet you could sell these to some type of natural history magazine or the like. Very very interesting.

Yes National Geographic wanted these images, they have tried many times to gain access to this village and others and they were told NO.

National Geographic offered me 5,000 for the rights to ALL of the images,

I told them in no uncertain terms, NO! I have been selling photographs for decades, I knew what I had here, ( A fortune)! I wasn't giving it away.

5,000 ?? ha ha ha. I make that on a "good" day with these images!

My images have been sold in over 33 countries when we had our gallery @ 420 W. Fourth Ave, Anchorage Ak.

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2007 22:20 |  #53

zacker wrote in post #3056815 (external link)
wow... dont care too much for the dead Polar Bear shots ( I hate seeing dead animals, esp. as majestic as a Bear..Any Bear) but your Images and text are amazing.. to think, people out there, living as they have, undisturbed for thousands of years..its amazing!! Keep posting...please!

Well sometimes when bears enter town, we have no choice but to take them down,

About 3 - 5 bears a year enter the village, usually we get them out, back safelly on the ocean ice.

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2007 23:04 as a reply to  @ Majik Imaje's post |  #54

There is so much about whaling that can not be put into words, especially the feeling of being out there on the vast ocean ice pack.

At the present moment (begining of any May) The ice is our home. We are rapidly gaining 20 minutes more sunlight each day, in a few more days, it will not get dark at all, until the end of August.

Whales are migrating, and they know the hunters are out there, ssshhh! but once a whale has been landed, and the quota is reached through missed strikes or landed whales, the whales know this also & then they will begin to take their tails out of the water as they migrate past the point.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03343.jpg

What a view ! Oh so peaceful, I just can't begin to tell you what it is like out here, it is a LOT OF HARD WORK. The "suspense" is what thrills me the most. You just never know, .. .. .. what is going to happen next. Watching Television and going to the movies is no fun anymore, it is too easy to figure out what is going to happen. Out here, there are no "scripts" to follow and anything can and does happen.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03345.jpg

Watching, waiting, doesn t look like much hard work eh ? ha ha

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03347.jpg

boring ?? not one bit, but we have to go, and fix the trail, this is hard work
miles and miles of trails to fix, by hand !!

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03351.jpg

Each crew is responsible for trails to their camp and the whole town is helping in various parts of the main trail. This is why it takes hours, many hours just to travel 5 miles out. it is not a straight flat smooth trail

Today, May 6th of 2007 Sunday afternoon, a call went out over the VHF radio(s) To all whaling captains, We need your crews up on the main trail, to clear new ice that is clogging up and needs to be cleared in many areas.

Even though the ocean ice is landfast, markers are set up on land and at various points along the ice pack to monitor movements.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03349.jpg

Thar she blows .. .. .. .. .. .. ! ( they don't say that) ha ha ha.. Aviq ~!~

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03354.jpg

Make it all nice and smooth, Mike! take the tops off them lumps, smooth it all out, we got miles of this to do, daily .. .. .. ... ... ... ... ... ... !

but .. at the end of the day.. its time for a "break" GOOD NIGHT !

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/culture/hunting/images/DSC03457.jpg

more coming soon !!! zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz !

Raindancer
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 07, 2007 04:19 as a reply to  @ Majik Imaje's post |  #55

Wonderful images and story, a real joy so see and read..........:)

Roger

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R. Tolkein

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF 70 - 200mm F/2.8L USM
Canon EF 17 - 40mm F/4L USM
Canon EF 24 - 70mm F/2.8L USM
Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM
580EX Speedlite

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

May 07, 2007 07:39 as a reply to  @ Raindancer's post |  #56

Still loving this post. Perhaps the most educational post around here when it comes to pictures and story.

mark

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 08, 2007 22:02 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #57

TODAY !!! 4 - 8 -07

No photos yet ... ... ha ha ha.!!

Two different polar bear attacks, each with "good " endings.. well almost, :eek:

Unfortunately, there are no images, yet ! soon to come on Gus Kowanna's condition w/ documentary photo ! You will not believe this, but first.

This morning 4-8 07 - 8:30 a.m. We hear over the VHF, dogs barking and the radio sounds, There is a polar bear at the snow fence in the middle of town, ( I am t he closest house to this location) we are in bed, just begining to wake up.
My son Jesse jumps up into his pants/shoes and grabs a rifle and heads out the door, he was so disapointed when I called him back. NO !
Let someone else take the bear down, IF IT PROVES TO BE NECESSARY.

Our first priority is to get that bear out of town, if possible.. .. if not, then that bear MUST BE TAKEN DOWN, the bear is trying to enter a house, we tried scaring it away, that would not work, there are too many people out and about in the village including young children, This bear has to be stopped and it was. Mario Cassados got his very first polar bear.

Out on the ocean ice, Gus Kowwanna is coming out of the tent, and much to his surprise, there is a huge polar bear just standing there.

Gus ran over and grabbed his new rifle, (he was warned about buying this rifle) He didn't listen. ) :confused:

A brand new Wetherbe 300 Magum ? He was also told, this is way too powerful a rifle Gus.. it is too much, I want to put a new scope on it, everyone told him NO! Gus didn't listen.. .. .. . :(

Gus is 16 years young @ about 140 pounds !!

He raised that rifle and took the shot, He got A HUGE PUNCH IN THE EYE from that scope and the bear is coming after him, he is hurting bad, but he can't think about the pain, he uses the bolt action and loads a bullet, takes careful aim and holds the rifle as tight as he can and wham, he gets socked in the same eye again, and he sees that .. .. the bear is still coming after him, he has NO CHOICE. he loads another bullet in the chamber, cool, calm, and INTENSE PAIN, he braced himself and took that third shot,.. .. he did not get hit in the eye this time, .. .. the bear is down and dead! But we hope to have a picture of his "face" here soon!
you will not believe this one bit ! ANYTHING can happen here in the Arctic, @ anytime,.. .. just by walking out of a tent.!:cool:

pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 09, 2007 10:46 |  #58

Just amazing! Got to respect your caring about the people and the environment! Not many would do what you have done, and the documentation you have made will perhaps help these native people retain their way of life. (I think we could all do without Walmart)
Karen

Canon 50D, 40D, Tokina 12-24,Canon 18-55,Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8,Canon 75-300 5.6,
Canon 200 2.8 L, Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Bogen monopod and Sunpak Tripod with manfrotto Pistol ball grip.

speedtest
176 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 10, 2007 05:23 |  #59

WOW. these are absolutley spectacular. i could never imagine the work and effort that goes into your daily lives. I thank you very much for just posting and letting us see a culture and life that most of us would never have seen or know about if it wasnt for this thread. All the best to you all, and im sure we all hope you have a great season. cant wait to see more of these pics.

Brett

Brett L.
Canon EOS Rebel XTI
EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Kit lens
EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III
EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II zoom

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2007 17:30 as a reply to  @ speedtest's post |  #60

Whoops! A snow-owl accidently stepped into a "trap" which is set for "foxes" the four legged kind.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/OWL.JPG

I am traveling with Rosella (tribal doctor) and we came upon this poor bird. Rosella is laughing.. good.. Upik (snowowl) "Eskimo chicken".. she laughed.
Picked up a huge piece of wood, whomp ! I will cook this tonight for supper she laughed!

I have been to Rosella's home many times, too many times. everyones home,

I know everyone, they all know me, and I visit, everyone as much as possible to learn as much as possible of this life in the paradise of the Arctic!

I once had to have a tooth pulled by Rosella, ha ha ha ha.. I learned how to cry in Eskimo that day.. Adii Adii (I'm hurting" )
I had to have a tooth pulled out, no novicane, sit there she said and pointed to a chair.. when I sat in the chair. she laughed and said no! and pointed to the floor . ! ???  ???

Her husband came out and sat in the chair and put his legs over my shoulders to keep me down.!!!

Whew, honestly I can honesly say, this was the best extractino I have ever had in my life. Once that tooth was out, I was eating steak, with no problems at all!

I could easily fill a book with the undocumented SKILLS that these tribal doctors possess.

what takes a Chriopractor weeks and many visits to fix my neck when it goes out on me,, takes a long time, very expensive and very uncomfortable.

When it happend to me up here in the village, it only took one tribal doctor 15 minutes to get me fixed and better than new.

These people know, HOW muscles work and why and by using just two fingers, they can fix anything wrong in your body..

They have to continuallly wash their hands because the PAIN leaves your body and goes into their hands, and you can see the pain they experience when doing this.

I have a cramp or kink in my neck, I can't hold my head up, Titus is tracing my spine with his two fingers.

As he is doing this he tells me. I am going to take the pain down your neck down your back and out through your side.

that is exactly what I experienced as he was doing this and I could easilly feel that KNOT or lump of pain move just as he said it would and when it came out my side.

I was all fixed.. totall time.. 15 minutes.. cost.. One good size fish!

sponsored links

89,555 views & 3 likes for this thread
High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.