Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Apr 2007 (Sunday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Care to share an invoice?

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 15, 2007 16:54 |  #1

Anyone? I have to invoice someone via mail as opposed to a piece of paper, and to be honest it's something I've not done in ages, and I've actually never invoiced via email.

Anyone got some samples they'd care to share?

Ta.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

sponsored links
sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 15, 2007 16:58 |  #2

Your invoice should also have your terms and conditions on it, so it would be fairly specific to each photographer, but seeing others might help you come up with your own.

In the end, its nothing more than a your prices, payment terms, client info, your info, rights and usage terms, and so on. When I get into the office I can post a blank invoice to give you an idea of what mine looks like. But it probably more than what you need.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 15, 2007 17:03 |  #3

That's be very welcome thankyou. Obviously each invoice is specific but I was just after a helping guide. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)

dpurslow
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 17, 2007 02:04 |  #4

send me your email and I will email you one of my invoices

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808
/EMAIL] (external link)Birmingham Wedding Photographer (external link)

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 17, 2007 03:47 |  #5

dpurslow wrote in post #3054838 (external link)
send me your email and I will email you one of my invoices

... for how much? :lol:

I find the best way is to generate the invoice in (say) word, or even Excel would do. Then convert it to a .PDF (using one of the many free converters available on-line) then simply email it as an attachment. Although the recipient can cancel a "read receipt request" - it doesn't hurt to click the delivery confirmation and read-receipt options in your email program, so at least you know it has arrived on their computer.

I tend to speak to the person, not immediately, but maybe a couple of days later and just ask "...btw, you have recieved my invoice, haven't you?"
[Edit: This saves you the frustration of calling them after 30 days (or whatever) chasing payment, and them saying "What invoice?". Then you back at square one again - and really p#ssed off!]

Dont forget to quote a date on the invoice, your invoice reference, their order number, the date of the job, a description of what you did - and where along with how the images have been supplied (i.e. 2 x CD's containing 200 unprocessd images taken at ABC event), and how quickly you want payment. Finally you really need some reference to usage Terms & Conditions.

It all sounds very complicated, butonce you've done one it's easy!

These are just basics, it can be more complex should there be any info that your client specifies must be quoted - but that should be covered by you quoting their Purchase Order number (or at the very least the name of the person who asked you to do the job)

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 17, 2007 13:03 |  #6

Cheers for that chaps.

Email is dave@manipula.co.uk (external link)

Cheers, Dave.

nwa2
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 17, 2007 13:15 as a reply to  @ manipula's post |  #7

If you are doing paper invoices, just create one as normal, scan it as a pdf and send as an e-mail attachment.

Canon 6D; 7D; 40D:
There are many tomorrows', but only one today!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]http://www.Abercrombie​.me.Uk (external link)
http://imagesix.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 17, 2007 13:27 |  #8

Do you have MS Word? There are templates on the web that are a breeze to use. google is your amigo.

milleker
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 17, 2007 16:50 |  #9

Beat me to it, I was going to PDF an invoice for reading OP's request.. :)

Don't have anything fancy, really do need to work on one someday.

TeeJay wrote in post #3055126 (external link)
... for how much? :lol:

I find the best way is to generate the invoice in (say) word, or even Excel would do. Then convert it to a .PDF (using one of the many free converters available on-line) then simply email it as an attachment. Although the recipient can cancel a "read receipt request" - it doesn't hurt to click the delivery confirmation and read-receipt options in your email program, so at least you know it has arrived on their computer.

I tend to speak to the person, not immediately, but maybe a couple of days later and just ask "...btw, you have recieved my invoice, haven't you?"

Dont forget to quote a date on the invoice, your invoice reference, their order number, the date of the job, a description of what you did - and where along with how the images have been supplied (i.e. 2 x CD's containing 200 unprocessd images taken at ABC event), and how quickly you want payment. Finally you really need some reference to usage Terms & Conditions.

It all sounds very complicated, butonce you've done one it's easy!

These are just basics, it can be more complex should there be any info that your client specifies must be quoted - but that should be covered by you quoting their Purchase Order number (or at the very least the name of the person who asked you to do the job)

TJ

---John Milleker Jr.--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯
Web Links: My Homepage (external link)
Photography Weblog (external link)Flickr (external link)Maryland POTN Meetup Thread (external link)Donate to POTN! (external link)http://www.johnmilleke​r.com/weblog (external link)

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 18, 2007 12:13 |  #10

Dave,

Here is a link to my invoice as promised. The info is fictitious. Actually, its an estimate worksheet that was created in Excel. When I submit the invoice, it just changes the Estimate to Invoice, and uses the first page only. I used the estimate instead to show how the line items get rolled up to the invoice summary line items,and just plugged in some numbers to fill out the main page. Attached to the invoice is a one page terms and conditions, and any attachments with further job description if needed. The terms and conditions go with estimates, quotes, bids, and the invoice.

http://www.cypressmedi​aworks.com/temp/estima​te.pdf (external link) - this is here for the benefit of POTN users. Use it for your own use, but please do not distribute it elsewhere.

The fields are plugged in automatically with macros in Excel. A CSV file is also written which is used to automatically fill in QuickBooks for accounting tracking purposes.

While this is overkill for some forms of photography, it works very well for commercial work. It would be easy to take only the parts you feel fit your market and use them as a starting point. I will leave it up for a short time, then delete it off my server.

Stephen

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2007 13:32 |  #11

That's fantastic Stephen, thankyou very much, really in depth and exactly what I was after.

Cheers, Dave.

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 18, 2007 14:24 |  #12

manipula wrote in post #3063853 (external link)
That's fantastic Stephen, thankyou very much, really in depth and exactly what I was after.

Glad I can help. Not sure why the terms were cut off on the end of the last page when it made the PDF. But there isn't much more there anyway.

Stephen

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2007 16:28 |  #13

That's all good. It gives me the 'inspiration' I needed I think. You know sometimes you just need a good starting block...

Thanks.

Cheers, Dave.

sponsored links

2,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Care to share an invoice?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.