Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Apr 2007 (Monday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

focusing advise?

Joect541
80 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 16, 2007 13:32 |  #1

Hello all.
Im using a 30d with kit lens and I noticed that when I do a shot of a group of people, not all of them are in focus. Like it only focuses on a couple people leaving the other few out. Im very new to photography, let alone dlsr.

I usualy shoot in av or tv mode but someone told me I should start off in p mode until I get the hang of what kind of settings the camera uses for different conditions and so forth, and I also read the thread on p mode here.

Anyway, I got off subject. What setting or mode or what do i need to be doing to get everything in my forground (group of people in this case) in focus? I have seen shots on here were subjects that are a couple of feet distance in front of or behind each other are still both in focus, but when I take a shot like that, one or the other is in focus. Im stumped!! Thanks for listening and for any help you give.

Happy shooting! Joe

30D, 430ex, Kit Lens, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon S3 IS

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 16, 2007 13:38 |  #2

It's called depth of field, and what you'll need to do (if light levels permit) is to use a smaller aperture (the larger numbers) while hoping that you can keep the shutter speed fast enough to not be shaking the camera. Then focus in the middle of the group, or at least the second row if there are more than 2 rows.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2007 13:41 |  #3

I'd just stick with AV mode for now. With that mode, you have control of your aperture. Size of aperture is that controls depth of field: which is the amount of distance that stays in focus. If you want more things in focus, you need to set your aperture to a larger number. The larger number is actually making the aperture a smaller hole and decreasing shutter speed....so it's always a balance of finding the right aperture for focus and shutter speed for freezing the motion of your subject. Setting the aperture to f11, for example, gives you many more things that are in focus over f2.8.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 16, 2007 13:56 |  #4

Regardless of the mode you are using, this is a matter of widening the depth of field.

You can achieve this in any mode by increasing the f value...provided that you can keep the shutter speed fast enough to avoid shaking. (you can use the forumula 1/ (focal length x 1.6) for "rule-of-thumb" minimal shutter speed.)

Try using a higher f value which will widen the depth of field giving you a better chance at getting things in focus.

Joect541 wrote in post #3051190 (external link)
Hello all.
Im using a 30d with kit lens and I noticed that when I do a shot of a group of people, not all of them are in focus. Like it only focuses on a couple people leaving the other few out. Im very new to photography, let alone dlsr.

I usualy shoot in av or tv mode but someone told me I should start off in p mode until I get the hang of what kind of settings the camera uses for different conditions and so forth, and I also read the thread on p mode here.

Anyway, I got off subject. What setting or mode or what do i need to be doing to get everything in my forground (group of people in this case) in focus? I have seen shots on here were subjects that are a couple of feet distance in front of or behind each other are still both in focus, but when I take a shot like that, one or the other is in focus. Im stumped!! Thanks for listening and for any help you give.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

Joect541
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 16, 2007 14:31 |  #5

nicksan wrote in post #3051308 (external link)
Regardless of the mode you are using, this is a matter of widening the depth of field.

You can achieve this in any mode by increasing the f value...provided that you can keep the shutter speed fast enough to avoid shaking. (you can use the forumula 1/ (focal length x 1.6) for "rule-of-thumb" minimal shutter speed.)

OK. So what is the minimal shutter speed rule of thumb? Is that minimal for correct exposure at focal length or minimal for no camera shake at focal lenth? So if I am on the kit lens at 18mm for example it would be 18 x 1.6 = 28.8. So my minimum shutter speed should be about 1/29?

Happy shooting! Joe

30D, 430ex, Kit Lens, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon S3 IS

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 16, 2007 14:43 |  #6

Yep. Just remember that YMMV; some people claim to be much steadier than that; others can't even come close.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2007 14:49 |  #7

Joect541 wrote in post #3051471 (external link)
OK. So what is the minimal shutter speed rule of thumb? Is that minimal for correct exposure at focal length or minimal for no camera shake at focal lenth? So if I am on the kit lens at 18mm for example it would be 18 x 1.6 = 28.8. So my minimum shutter speed should be about 1/29?

yep, that formula is for figuring out safe shutterspeed for no camera shake. If you need to go under that speed, you should use a tripod. BTW, the 1.6 is the camera's crop factor. So if you have a full sensor camera, the safe shutterspeed would be 1/18 in your example.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 16, 2007 14:50 |  #8

That's minimum "recommended" shutter speed for avoiding "normal" handshake to affect the outcome. Of course, your mileage may vary.

You can use that as a good guide and in time you'll be able to figure out what works best for you.

The 1.6 is the crop factor on the 30D. With a full frame body, you don't need to multiply by 1.6 so the formula becomes 1/Focal Length.

For your setup at 18mm, yes, 1/30 would be a good speed to use as a starting point. If you are steady, you could slower that, if you shake then increase it. Whether or not you can attain that speed at the desired aperture is stricly dependent on the lighting conditions.

The degree to which you can change these settings and still retain hand-holdability is dependent on the lighting conditions.

You can also boost the ISO to gain more speed at the expense of noise.

Joect541 wrote in post #3051471 (external link)

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

Joect541
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 16, 2007 15:05 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #9

OK everyone. Great advise. Lots of stuff I didnt know and am eager to try out! Thanks for all the help everyone. Oh yeah, Jon what does YMMV stand for:confused: lol. Im such a noob!;)

Happy shooting! Joe

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 16, 2007 15:07 |  #10

Your Mileage May Vary

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

1,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
focusing advise?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.