Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Apr 2007 (Wednesday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fill Flash - 5D & 1D Mark IIn & 580EX - Bright Sun

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 18, 2007 13:49 |  #1

Here is the challenge my shooting friends. I have custom function set on both bodies at Cfn 4 - 1.

On my 1D Mark IIn I follow these steps to get an image which is back lit and the subject needs fill flash.

Shooting in AV Mode, Raw, high speed sync turned on the 580, use "*" to focus - then hit the "fel" button to sample the subject for flash. Meter (spot meter) the sky or something 18% gray, recompose and shoot. I have FEC at -2/3 stop (this would be subjective I'm sure). I end up with very good images.

The trouble I'm having is when I use the 5D I don't have a "fel" button so I must disable Cfn 4-1 to Cfn 4-0. When doing this now I must focus and set exposure with the shutter release. So while in Av Mode how in the heck can I expose off the bright sky, focus on the subject, sample flash the subject and get both the sky at a good exposure and the subject....

Curious minds want to know.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2007 13:51 |  #2

M mode, set the flash to ettl. M mode meters for sky. You can dial FEC to what you desire. AV mode metering is as jittery as a 4 year old on sugar at a birthday party.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 18, 2007 14:18 |  #3

cosworth wrote in post #3063940 (external link)
M mode, set the flash to ettl. M mode meters for sky. You can dial FEC to what you desire. AV mode metering is as jittery as a 4 year old on sugar at a birthday party.

Thank you.....

Dwight is here with me in Texas and he said you are the master.

I will now change my process on my 1D Mark IIn and my 5D to do what you suggest........sometim​es I feel like an idiot....why did I not think to do it this way?

So as I type without thinking, how can I do this where I pre test the flash and keep Cfn 4-1? Should I not worry about pre testing the flash?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2007 14:25 |  #4

taygull wrote in post #3064058 (external link)
Dwight is here with me in Texas and he said you are the master.

Whoa. Never been called that. If I remember half the stuff I was doing in the caribbean I'd be amazed. :P thanks to you and Dwight for the compliment. You made my day.

So:

I never use FEL. I just metered for the sky and shot with the flash on ETTL. Now, my old 1Ds doesn't have ettl II, so when I used CF4 I could capitalize on all the 45 points. Using focus recompose only used the highlighted focus points for flash metering. Once I started using all 45 points for ETTL metering my shots were extra consistent. Your bodies do have ETTL II so it should be a touch easier. Now take this all with a grain salt as well due to my liberal use of polarizers.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional

PeaPicker
in the twilight zone
1,590 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 18, 2007 14:37 |  #5

How can I do this with the 430EX?
When I have the flash on the shutter speed is at 200.

Jon / 40D / Pics (external link)

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2007 14:42 |  #6

Enable high speed sync. Ideally you shouldn't see more than 1/250th or 1/320th and f/8. If you can limit your ISO and filter strength (CPL) to ge to these you'll like the results.

PeaPicker
in the twilight zone
1,590 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 18, 2007 14:56 |  #7

cosworth wrote in post #3064195 (external link)
Enable high speed sync. Ideally you shouldn't see more than 1/250th or 1/320th and f/8. If you can limit your ISO and filter strength (CPL) to ge to these you'll like the results.

Jon / 40D / Pics (external link)

sponsored links

2,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fill Flash - 5D & 1D Mark IIn & 580EX - Bright Sun
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.