Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 26 Apr 2007 (Thursday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Powershot S80 memory card error

leedon
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 26, 2007 08:00 |  #1

My Canon S80 bought 18mths ago has just developed a serious problem. Every time i insert an SD Memory Card the message "memory card error" is displayed

the camera itself is fine, but useless without the ability to store an image.

My usual SD is a 4GB Panda, but also tried a brand new 1GB Kingston and 16MB 32MB Canon SD cards that come with a new camera. all display the same message though the Panda one has an additonal message of something along the lines of memory card not found whilst the others say Memory Card Locked!

Any advice on cause of problem and/ or fixes?

I've read here and elsewhere about tis being a relatively common problem with other Canon models and a solution being to remove the iternal battery. I'm able to take the cover off but cannot locate the internal battery and am concerned at delving any further without some guide as to what i'm looking for and where.
Is this a good idea for the S80 and if so where is the battery and how can i get to it?

cheers
Lee

sponsored links
Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 26, 2007 22:55 |  #2

Have you tried contacting canon?

flickr (external link)

SHULTSIE!!!
"Stonehenge wasn't too impressive"
3,964 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 26, 2007 23:09 |  #3

Best thing is to get the S80 replaced. Utilize your warranty if it's still available.
On a side note, I had this same problem once... bonehead move on my part. I doubt it could happen to 4 cards. I managed to delete the DCIM folder that was originally on the card and rendered it useless after that.

Justin
My Gear
My 15 minutes of fame... (external link)

leedon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 27, 2007 06:40 |  #4

Azzure_7 wrote in post #3111475 (external link)
Have you tried contacting canon?

yep - and they were as useful as you'd expect - hhmmm, sounds bad, buy new card...oh you have...needs to be repaired etc

apart from the why should i have to repair at my own cost issue, my main problem is that i'm 1000 miles from the nearest authorised can dealer/ repairer and will be so for 3 odd months

the same problem seems to have inflicted a variety of other Canon models (indeed ive read about Canon accepting the fault and offering free repairs even outside warranty). What i'm after is possible fixes i can do myself, this seems to revolve around removing the internal battery, but i can't locate it on the S80 just by removing the casing and don't want to take the thing apart before having a little less vague idea what to do once its in bits

leedon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 27, 2007 06:44 |  #5

Shultsjh wrote in post #3111514 (external link)
Best thing is to get the S80 replaced. Utilize your warranty if it's still available.
On a side note, I had this same problem once... bonehead move on my part. I doubt it could happen to 4 cards. I managed to delete the DCIM folder that was originally on the card and rendered it useless after that.

Nothing wrong with the folders and i can view the photos fine on a PC by slotting the cards into a USB viewer

cant see any damage to the little pins inside the card slot either

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 27, 2007 11:36 |  #6

Has that 4 GB Panda card ever worked? Is it SD or SDHC?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

leedon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 30, 2007 07:58 |  #7

Jon wrote in post #3113867 (external link)
Has that 4 GB Panda card ever worked? Is it SD or SDHC?

It's SD and it's worked perfectly for a year. I can view the photos on the card with a USB Card Read/Writer device fine.

I have some 16/ 32 MB Canon cards that come with a new camera and it's the same error with them, even after reformatting. Also put a brand new 1BG card in and - memory card error or no memory card is displayed. Can only think it's a camera issue

Cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is, i'm in Africa at the moment and every day i'm missing opportunities for top pictures. this weekend was the leaving party for my wife and i at a school we've been working at and the only record are some weak snaps with a woeful 5m pixel p.o.s. Olympus :mad:

www.flickr.com/photos/​leeabroad (external link)

leedon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 03, 2007 04:51 as a reply to  @ leedon's post |  #8

FIXED!!

Took camera apart in desparation and found out that an incredibly small piece of a memory card casing was lodged into the card receptor behind one of the contacts.

Its impossible to disassemble the framework around the card receptor afaic but a delicate operation involving a straightened paperclip managed to dislodge the piece of plastic (all 1mm of it!). once removed it was easy to relaign the card reader connector points and with a new card (iGB Kingston - no cheap crap this time) it works fine

seems ive unfairly slagged off Canon here

NB if anyone wants guidane on taking an S80 apart just let me know :lol:

sponsored links

10,340 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Powershot S80 memory card error
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.