Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Apr 2007 (Monday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Anyone fly to/through UK recently?

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 30, 2007 16:40 |  #1

I have to fly to Spain next week via Heathrow for a job. It will be British Airways and Iberia (Montreal/Heathrow, Heathrow/Madrid, Madrid/Vigo).

With all the new baggage regs in the UK, how strict is BA/Heathrow security being? What About Iberia (never flown with them).

I will be flying with a single Photo trekker 2 with all of my photo gear AND my laptop stuffed into do to the 1 cabin bag rule the UK has going on right now. The bag is exactly the dimensions Heathrow's website and BA's list as ok. They do not, however, have any weights listed besides the fact that you must be able to lift it yourself. With laptop + gear in it, it is pretty damn heavy.

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,195 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2007 18:10 |  #2

Hi

Other than the fact that you seem to have looked at the current regs for BAA (British Airports Authority and British Airways, if your kit bag is the right size then unless they specify a weight I surmise you will be OK. However, even with declared restrictions there are I suspect local decsions that could be made. FWIW we went to Guernsey earlier this year and not wanting the hassle of taking my Lowepro 200 Slingshot which I think was just within the size limit I simply took my P&S but I saw many folk with trolley cases and very large rucksacks in the departure lounge, go figger!

However, the last leg internal to Spain sounds like a short haul 'hopper' size aircraft that will likely be very much more restrictive on size and weight, so were I in your shoes I would be 'talking' to Iberia and getting their airline specific details.

Best of luck and have safe trip not forgetting post those Spanish pictures when you get back ;)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

transcend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 30, 2007 19:06 |  #3

Thanks for the advice. According to Iberia, they have a 22lb weight limit, and same size restrictions as BA. Off course, it also says any flight that is actually booked via BA will follow BA regs for weight, which i mentioned above.

My guess is you are right on the toy plane for the last flight, trying to find the actual aircraft used now.

I fly a ton, the ever changing weight/size limits are really strting to tick me off. Especially when they hassle me over 2lbs of carry-on when I weigh 145lbs, meanwhile the guy behind me is usuall well over 275 Lbs and his wife has a handbag i could crawl into.

edit: Looks like it is on an A321, so no big problems there.

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,195 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2007 19:21 |  #4

Just out of curiosity I had a look and it seesm that the Madrid / Vigo route they use a variety from Airbus 320 and 321 to MD 88.

Not that small type(s) of aircraft, AFAIK certainly not commuter size and configuration. So if you can rely on the info and carry on across the pond and with BA I would hope that the Vigo link will not be that much different.

:)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

mcmadkat
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 01, 2007 06:52 |  #5

When I fly in the UK and beyond I take my hand luggage and my gear, they don't mind if you are a pro (or pretending to be one ;) Two bags is not usually an issue if one is just for cameras. Heck, up until last year I used to take my guitars as hand luggage!

30D 17-40L 580EXII
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=386249

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 01, 2007 07:13 |  #6

They're mainly strict on liquids. You're only allowed 100ml of each liquid I think?

Click for my Website (external link)
Click for my Blog (external link)
Click for my Flickr page (external link)

madferrit
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 01, 2007 07:17 |  #7

You might find weight limits in hand luggage is set by the airlines as opposed to the airport.

My Canon can.. I just need to find out how :rolleyes:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=298914

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,553 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2006

May 01, 2007 07:24 |  #8

when i flew to brussels for a meeting i took my lowepro mini trekker with laptop in the front, i got 1 comment about its size (that was on the way back) and i said that i'd had it with me on the way in and they were fine about it.. (heading through security - that was another story, bag went through fine, but my belt clip for my XDAIIi set off the buzzer and they stripped me!)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Gram (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor C1 (external link)

bobinatcat
612 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 01, 2007 07:26 |  #9

Yeah whats the deal wit that.

On QANTAS it is all liquids gels and another substance they have become very strict about?!

Anyone know why?

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #3133256 (external link)
They're mainly strict on liquids. You're only allowed 100ml of each liquid I think?

30D - Sigma 17-70 - 550ex

flickr (external link)

transcend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

May 01, 2007 11:37 |  #10

Hey guys, thanks for the updates.

Like I said, I fly a lot and as a general rule am pretty up on the guidelines of the week. Jusst never flown Iberia, or into the UK since the new regs went into effect. Good to hear they are not too strict on it. I am going to go with one bag anyways, photo trekker 2, exactly inside their dimensions.

Weight is indeed usually set by the airline, but the BA policy seems pretty generous (if you can lift it, you are good to go). Luckily my 2 iberia flights are an hour or so each.

The liquid thing btw was because they apparently unearthed a plot to try and blow up an airliner using mixed liquid explosives. The ironic part is the chemicals they were planning on using could barely hurt the entire, let alone breath the lavatory wall to the outside. The security officials are once again just attempting to appear as if they are doing something constructive. In actuality, they are only making life miserable on everyone.

vwpilot
592 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2007 17:35 |  #11

Actually, the whole liquid bomb thing is not all that crazy as you make it sound.

While there was the plot last year that increased the security regarding liquids, but it has been used before semi-successfully on a Philippine Airline flight. It was liquid disguised as lens cleaner and used a Casio watch as a timer. It was assembled in the lavatory and placed under a seat before the bomber disembarking at a central stop.

It was supposed to be right above the center fuel tank and blow up the plane, however, it was a model with a slightly different position of the tank so the bomb was not right above the tank and therefore did not explode the tank, it just killed people within the plane.

You can read about it here. http://en.wikipedia.or​g …ppine_Airlines_​Flight_434 (external link)

So, while its a pain, its not all that outrageous of an idea to use liquids and I'm happy to just put them in my checked bags and move along with life. While the TSA is not perfect, I can at least respect what they are trying to do...its the bastards that cant accept anyone living different from them that you really should be pissed at.

Jim Sykes
SportsShooter portfolio (external link)
SpeedArena (external link)
Jim Sykes Photography (external link)

robinpow
108 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 01, 2007 22:56 as a reply to  @ vwpilot's post |  #12

I went through Heathrow last November and it was the day from HE--!!!
I'll NEVER go through Heathrow again, I'll go Amsterdam and take the ferry over.

I flew in on KLM no problem, however on the way out Heathrow security gave me the 'no way' speech.

What I had:
my mother and her tiny handbag
my laptop
my camera bag
my little bitty purse (after all needed someplace to put the credit cards and passport)

"ONE ITEM PER PERSON" came through very loud and clear. Ended up putting my camera bag, and both handbags into one roll on flight bag and mom carried my laptop.

As for the airlines, I do international on a very regular bases and no airlines has ever given me any problems with carrying my 40 pound camera bag, laptop and purse. As matter of fact no airport has given me any problems... other than Heathrow.

Enjoy Spain, was there in October. ;-)a

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread, 9 members have posted to it.
Anyone fly to/through UK recently?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.