Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 May 2007 (Saturday) 23:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Holy Hell! Track and FIeld is no joke.

Isaac86hatch
122 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 05, 2007 23:36 |  #1

My first time shooting Track was today, the University of Oregon, and man, what a shock. I normally do great with Manual mode so I stuck to that all can and with the sun soo bright and soo many shadows it was really hard getting good lighting on the faces.

Any advice for would be great for people that have done this before..ie lenses, modes etc.

Out of around 300+ shots these were about the only ones I got that are IMO decent, but nothing great.

1 (ugg out focus)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks for looking!

sponsored links
boclcown
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2007 00:33 |  #2

Wow, nice action shots, if a little blurry.

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 06, 2007 02:27 |  #3

I love 5&6, it is an angle you do not see that often...at least i dont

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

txduggan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 06, 2007 09:02 |  #4

Just my .00002ยข (I'm a rank hack!)

Seems like you were on the wrong side of the vault pit when shooting the women.....

Trust me, I fully understand that you take what you can get and can't always be where you want.

Seems like there's some blown out highlights on the male vaulter's skin....I could be totally wrong here, but I'd stop down 1/2 to 1 stop.

I did a confirmation shoot in midday sun yesterday and had the same difficulty you did.

Stopping down a bit helped...

One last suggestion, one that I suffer from all the time, and comes with experience, is to watch your backgrounds for clutter.

I do some enduro and quad MX and that is the most difficult thing for me right now.

From what I'm seeing from the more experienced sport shooters is that it's almost like a zen thing; they watch the action with both eyes (one in the viewfinder, the other open) and just have a sense of when to fire the shutter.

Other than that, you caught some really good action!!

Huzzah!

Tom D

Gear: Yes - Rides quads really slow - Likes shiny things...
Wings of Love Photography (external link)
Wings of Love FaceBook Page (external link)
Tom Duggan Photography (external link)

bbc14f
682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2007 10:46 as a reply to  @ txduggan's post |  #5

I also shot track & Field for the first time this week. Actually it was the first time shooting any kind of fast action It was a kids meet. I also usually shoot manual "all" the time. However I found it to cumbersome in this setting and I missed a lot of shots because I was messing with settings. So then I just switched to Av mode and only really had to think about how much background blurr I wanted. I really like it when the subject pops out of the pic in a 3D kind of way so I shot wide open most of the time. The only time I switched to manual was when I wanted to experiment with some panning shots. I was able to get really close to the action so the 24-70 f2.8 worked well, but the 135 f2.0L was king. I also used a CP because it was an extremely bright day. AIservo for focus and H setting for frames per second also came in extremely handy, and even with the highest setting on the 1DMKIIN I still had a lot of pics that came out blurry. It was alot of fun though and I can't wait untill the next time I get to do something like this. Your pics look great for the first time shooting Track & Field. What lens did you find that you used the most? And what were the events you liked shooting the most, Pole Vault I take it. For me it was the long jump. Anyway great pics and thanks for sharing.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/michaelalexande​r2008/ (external link)

Isaac86hatch
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2007 11:38 |  #6

txduggan wrote in post #3159811 (external link)
From what I'm seeing from the more experienced sport shooters is that it's almost like a zen thing; they watch the action with both eyes (one in the viewfinder, the other open) and just have a sense of when to fire the shutter.

Tom D

I agree completely. After getting home was when I realized how crappy the background was in most of those. Being quite new portrait/sports type shots I rarely think about the back/foreground relationship and it has killed some really great shots. I am going to start looking at the more closely.

bbc14f wrote in post #3160187 (external link)
Your pics look great for the first time shooting Track & Field. What lens did you find that you used the most? And what were the events you liked shooting the most, Pole Vault I take it. For me it was the long jump. Anyway great pics and thanks for sharing.

All of this was shot with a 20D, using a Quantaray 70-300mm, an old school Canon 70-210 F4, and the kit 28-55mm. Since I am broke college student all I have is cost effective lenses, but they do okay for now.

I shoot sports mainly for my school paper and getting really close to the subject is key for the sports page so I used the 70-300mm most of the time.

I would say that for pole vault the best place are:

45 degrees behind the mat for the running shots with the pole.

45 degrees front left for the falling over shots

and just under the bar on the left for the upside down over the bar shot.

All of these I figured out about 3 hours into it at the end. I did have a full press pass so I was able to go every where on the track so that helped. I spent soo much time trying to figure out the pole vault that I let our other guy get the high jump and races. Next time ill get more of every thing.

Thanks for the CC guys!

GonzoMD
53 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2007 12:45 |  #7

well, given the difficulties of positioning and environment, I'd say these are some really great shots! I particularly like #6 - the position of the jumper suspended over the bar is just fantastic.

rockabilly808
Goldmember
1,700 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 07, 2007 19:56 |  #8

really liking number 2, nice capture

Nathan
Nikon D80 Nikor 18-200VR yes I shoot with a nikon, get over it
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/playgroundearth​/ (external link)[/SIZE]

troutbreath
771 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 07, 2007 20:03 |  #9

I did one T&F meet this spring and was also amazed at the difficulty of getting a good shot. Unfortunately, that was really the only big local event here this year, or I would gt more practice.

You did a nice job for your first time out. My low % of keepers made me sad, but determined to do better next time.

Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 30D, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 10-22 USM, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, 430 EX Speedlite, 580 EXII Speedlight
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG HSM, Sigma 1.4x APO TC
Canon Rebel S 35mm, Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro

sponsored links

1,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Holy Hell! Track and FIeld is no joke.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.