Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 18 May 2007 (Friday) 07:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Northern VA members.....

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 03, 2009 09:26 |  #766

Jason, I'm still in awe that your wedding was in May. Seems not so long ago, as time goes by so fast for me. I am completely busy. Today I need to print, on my printer, 200 sheets of printed stuff. I'm getting a laser printer for Christmas.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
DigitalTimmay
125 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 03, 2009 09:39 |  #767

Rhilton4u wrote in post #9117698 (external link)
Great shots Tim...where's the ice skating rink in Woodbridge? I'm in Lake Ridge.

Off of Dale Blvd.
Right next to Ridgefield.

DigitalTimmay
125 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 03, 2009 09:47 |  #768

GoHokiesGo wrote in post #9124457 (external link)
I'm over in Ashburn, not too far from Herndon. Haven't really wandered around too much for photo ops, but the wineries are great when the weather is warmer

You probably saw my brother there, he's one of the hockey directors at the rink there and plays on a few of the adult league teams.

Who's your brother?
Probably know him personally, I'm up there a ton.

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 03, 2009 12:29 |  #769

Timmay,
my brother is Eric. He's a big guy, looks like a football lineman, short/shaved blond hair; he plays in the adult league and for George Mason's club team. He's up there all the time, I'm not sure if he's director of all the hockey leagues or just the adult league, also works in the pro-shop, but he's worked with the ice rink on and off for several years now. You've most likely met him if you're there often.

Suzie,
I know, I can't believe it's been several months since may already, this year has gone by incredibly quick. Between work, the house, and our new dog, I have no idea where all the days go anymore! And it definitely sounds like a laser printer would be a good investment for you! I always wind up printing stuff at work since the laser takes care of it so much faster.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

DigitalTimmay
125 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 03, 2009 12:33 |  #770

GoHokiesGo wrote in post #9128345 (external link)
Eric - he's a big guy, looks like a football lineman, short/shaved blond hair. He's up there all the time, I'm not sure if he's director of all the hockey leagues or just the adult league, also works in the pro-shop, but he's worked with the ice rink on and off for several years now. You've most likely met him if you're there often.

Yup I know him. Not personally tho. Does he play?

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 03, 2009 16:46 |  #771

Is this a small state or what? ;)

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Rhilton4u
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2009 16:50 |  #772

krisjan76 wrote in post #9126860 (external link)
Nice shot of the Gaylord.

Is Fort Foote the same fort that I've been calling Fort Washington all my life?

CAUTION!!! History Lesson to follow: :lol:

No, Ft. Foote is a tiny Civil War bastion built further North along the Potomac very close to where the National Harbor is. It was part of the ring of defenses hastily constructed to defend Washington against Confederate attack. At the beginning of the war, the Union defeat at Manassas scared the bejesus out of everybody (Manassas wasn't that far away even by 19th century standards). So there was a mad scramble to build-up the defenses around the Federal capital and prevent a catastrophe similar to what happened in 1812. :oops:

Many locals today recognize Fort Marcy near Langley, Fort Ward in Alexandria & Fort Totten (Metro Station), most probably don't know what they actually were. I'd wager almost nobody knows that the Confederates actually ATTACKED Washington at Fort Stevens - took a few potshots at Abraham Lincoln and came within a whisper of overrunning the defenders! :eek: An amazing story of desperation by the Southerners really, as Lee's army was surrounded at Petersburg, VA at the time.

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1127/1357992517_13d6854c2a.jpg

Fort Washington (the one you've been calling all your life) was built to defend against the British before the War of 1812. It failed miserably. The British instead did an end-around by coming by land from the Southwest instead of up the Potomac rendering the fort useless. Fort Washington was upgraded for the Spanish American War and then again later as an administrative and logistics base for both World Wars.

Ok, I'm taking off my park ranger hat now. :mrgreen:

Canon 1DX & 5D Classic | Manfrotto 3021 & 3249 Pods w/ 488RC2 | Speedlite 600EX-RT & 430EX
EF 17-40mm F4L | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L (IS) | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L (IS)
EF 100mm Macro F2.8L (IS) | MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite | EF 50mm F1.8 ("nifty-fifty") | ► My flickr  (external link)

krisjan76
39 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 03, 2009 19:21 |  #773

wow, thanks for the history lesson. grew up in the area, been to fort washington countless number of times and never even considered visiting fort foote. oh well, now something to do next time i'm in the neighborhood.

Krisjan76 | A camera and some lenses | Flickr (external link)

Rhilton4u
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2009 19:39 |  #774

krisjan76 wrote in post #9130653 (external link)
wow, thanks for the history lesson. grew up in the area, been to fort washington countless number of times and never even considered visiting fort foote. oh well, now something to do next time i'm in the neighborhood.

Don't make a special trip out of it. It's a tiny place that more resembles a city park than a federal one. There's a couple of 15" Rodmans (really big canons) there in their original emplacements facing the Potomac and that's about it. The park is unmanned and doesn't seem to get much foot traffic. I think it's more popular with kayakers than tourist because there's apparently a decent place to launch onto the river from there. Park service wants my images of the Rodmans for their brochure cover for all the circle forts.

Canon 1DX & 5D Classic | Manfrotto 3021 & 3249 Pods w/ 488RC2 | Speedlite 600EX-RT & 430EX
EF 17-40mm F4L | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L (IS) | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L (IS)
EF 100mm Macro F2.8L (IS) | MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite | EF 50mm F1.8 ("nifty-fifty") | ► My flickr  (external link)

krisjan76
39 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 03, 2009 19:48 |  #775

Rhilton4u wrote in post #9130755 (external link)
Don't make a special trip out of it. It's a tiny place that more resembles a city park than a federal one. There's a couple of 15" Rodmans (really big canons) there in their original emplacements facing the Potomac and that's about it. The park is unmanned and doesn't seem to get much foot traffic. I think it's more popular with kayakers than tourist because there's apparently a decent place to launch onto the river from there. Park service wants my images of the Rodmans for their brochure cover for all the circle forts.

i googled fort foote and saw pics of those big guns - bigger than anything i've seen at fort washington! my folks still live in the area so i'll make a little detour next time i visit them. i left a comment on your flickr about your list of filipino restaurants and shops in this area. very helpful!

Krisjan76 | A camera and some lenses | Flickr (external link)

Rhilton4u
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2009 20:00 |  #776

krisjan76 wrote in post #9130796 (external link)
i googled fort foote and saw pics of those big guns - bigger than anything i've seen at fort washington! my folks still live in the area so i'll make a little detour next time i visit them. i left a comment on your flickr about your list of filipino restaurants and shops in this area. very helpful!

LOL...we already have two Filipino fhotogs in this thread - you're welcome to become the third. Mabuhay my friend and join us sometime on one of our meets. :cool:

DigitalTimmay
125 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 03, 2009 22:11 |  #777

Anyone know any camera shops in Woodbridge where I can get a CF card?
Need one ASAP as I have a shoot tomorrow (sudden) and my second one died on Sunday.

Or even in Fredericksburg as I'll be down there all day tomorrow.

And not Best Buy. Those prices are outrageous.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 03, 2009 22:49 |  #778

DigitalTimmay wrote in post #9131634 (external link)
Anyone know any camera shops in Woodbridge where I can get a CF card?
Need one ASAP as I have a shoot tomorrow (sudden) and my second one died on Sunday.

Or even in Fredericksburg as I'll be down there all day tomorrow.

And not Best Buy. Those prices are outrageous.

I doubt a specialty store is going to have a commodity item like a CF card for less than a big box store. Maybe try Costco?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 04, 2009 05:24 |  #779

Costco had a coupon thing last week for Black Friday. It was pretty decent, but I bought 4 GB ones a while ago there and have 12 of them now. :) It's a must have when you use the 5D2. :)

I'm in Northern VA, BTW, like most of us in the thread. :)

Jim, Jon, Ron, & I'll kidnap Carol. Who else is coming to the temple next Saturday?

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 04, 2009 06:49 |  #780

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it on the 12th.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

224,488 views & 11 likes for this thread
Northern VA members.....
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.