Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 May 2007 (Friday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slightly different monitor calibration Q?

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 18, 2007 18:47 |  #1

Hopefully this hasn't been answered in depth or anything, if it has, please feel free to link me, slap my wrists and let this drop off the front page quickly...

I've read Rene's sticky thread, and amidst getting confused I'm still thinking that what I have is a problem that's not quite the normal.

I have two seperate PC's, one using an old Princeton 17" CRT, the other using a Suyama 19" TFT. These show drastically different versions of the same image. This isn't suprising really...

Now, I have my own printers here, a multi purpose Epson and a Canon iP4200, but they rarely get used for anything to do with printing my photos. As and when I do print I take them to work and run them through the minilab. Or get them commercially printed, converting to CMYK in PS at the time. The minilabs, and indeed those of the whole company are calibrated each morning. The machine (Fuji Frontiers) prints out what can best be described as a colour and B&W test strip, and there's a calibrating device on top of the machine that readjusts the settings if anything's out. There are also setups done every time a new load of paper is put in. The head office also runs a service for posters which is currently proving quite useful and does I think try and set the printers for these to similar settings.

How do I get both screens/PC's set up so a) they look the same (or same as can be given they're different designs), and b)so I know that the settings at which they arrive will match the results I'll get back from my minilabs and poster printers (commercial printers onto CMYK seem to follow closely the results of the minilabs here)?

I'm guessing a calibration tool is going to come into it somewhere, but don't they work by adjusting your screen to suit a print from your printer at home? I've currently got a Spyder 2 and a Pantone Huey saved at work ready to buy but I know nothing of them or this problem really, so bow to your advice.

Many thanks for any help in advance, and once again apologies if this has ben covered already. The setting up to suit occasional third party printers seems to be something I can't find reference to.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 18, 2007 19:38 |  #2

a) Would be relatively easy if both monitors are on the same PC: Get a calibrator capable of calibrating both diplays seperately. (Your video card should also support this). Then in the calibrations software there is an option called "Match Monitor Profiles" (Monaco Optix) (Not sure about the Huey and Spyder2, I think the latter might support it)
What this does is *bring the best monitor down to mimic the worst one*. So you might want to think twice about using this ;)

I could imagine that you calibrate both monitors on both PC's, and then calibrate the LCD again, using the CRT monitors luminance as target. (If it's really old, it'll probabely be well below 100 cd/m)

I think I'ld calibrate both seperate, look which one is best, and use that for critical work ;)

b) should follow from a well calibrated monitor, *softproofing* and a color managed workflow..

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,447 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 19, 2007 06:12 |  #3

manipula wrote in post #3229137 (external link)
I'm guessing a calibration tool is going to come into it somewhere, but don't they work by adjusting your screen to suit a print from your printer at home?

No, they do not. They adjust your screen by displaying colors and greytones generated by the software on it and physically measuring the deviation from what they should be. The process is entirely without reference to any printer.

Elie / אלי

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 19, 2007 07:59 |  #4

Cool, thanks for that guys. As you can see, this side of our world is a bit alien to me, and I'm guessing once I get my head round it will produce rich rewards. So basically, if I eliminate trying to get both PC's bang on, and put the CRT monitor onto the machine which I use for editing photos, get that calibrated and set up, it should leave me with files coming off that machine which should print correctly?

Does anyone have any preferences over which is the better piece of kit out of the Pantone Huey and the Spyder 2?

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 19, 2007 08:24 |  #5

Some links Yahoo found: 1 (external link), 2...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slightly different monitor calibration Q?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.