Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 May 2007 (Sunday) 23:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY: Build Your Own Flash Battery Pack: PART 1

dsoo
73 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 20, 2007 14:30 as a reply to  @ post 3245102 |  #16

Nice work, Vermin87. I think it's a good idea to add the switch, since it will prevent reverse charging on the battery pack.

To make a note on the AC adaptor, could put a 6V regulator or a zener diode to keep it at 6V.

I am more interested in a HV pack. I have tried to put a Sunpak HV pack to be used on a vivitar flash, but haven't really tried to do that on a Canon flash yet. Does anyone tried such experiment?

:cool: Dan
Canon 5D, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Tamron 70-300 f/4 LD Macro
Contax RTS, RX, 167MT, 159MM, NX, CZ 35 f/2.8MM, CZ 28-80 f/3.5, CZ 50 f/1.4MM, CZ 100 f/2.8MM, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Mamiya645, 45 f/2.8, CZ 80 f/2.8, CZ 180 f/2.8

sponsored links
Amorous
875 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 20, 2007 20:05 |  #17

mbellot wrote in post #3245102 (external link)
Since you already had it wired for barrel positive it seemed easiest (less work) to just leave it that way.

To do it with center pin positive you would hook the red from the internal battery and orange from the flash circuit to the center pin and then put the black from the internal battery to the switch contact and the black from the flash circuit to the barrel contact.

With the jack wired up safely now I'd say put five fully charged NiMH batteries in series and check the voltage.

As long as you are below ~ 6.4 volts (standard alkaline batteries can have an initial voltage as high as 1.6v, so four would be 6.4 volts) you should be safe to use the five battery version. If you are over 6.5 volts I would stick with packs of four.

When a NiMH battery is fully charged, the voltage can be as high as "almost" 1.4V, so it would be very close to 7V with 5 cells in series.

My web site: http://kaitcilla.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)

Los Angeles area local photography group: http://lashooters.org (external link)

hoghunter
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 29, 2008 12:43 |  #18

Vermin,

I know it has been a while since the posting of this message, but I was wondering if you have any insights now that it has been a while. Also, I was curious if you found any better solutions after the DIY project. I know for me it seems like as soon as I decide to go in one direction, a slew of better choices pop up even though I can't take advantage of them.

Finally, I was wondering if you are interested in providing a service of making these changes to other people's flash units.

(seen any wild boars lately?)
Canon 20D, Film Rebel, Nikon F2, FE, FM, F off I'm a Canon convert.
Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma EX 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DF, Sigma EX 12-24mm,
Sigma EF 500 DG Super,Canon 420 EX StroboFrame Lumiquest SoftBox & Big Bounce
Jacksonville, Florida

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 29, 2008 13:21 |  #19

You know I saw something like this done to a 580EX too, and after seeing that and thinking about how it might ruin my flash I decided to just do it right in the first place and bought a CP-E4 and called it a day. Too risky for me.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

hoghunter
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 29, 2008 13:48 |  #20

ben_r_ wrote in post #4808925 (external link)
You know I saw something like this done to a 580EX too, and after seeing that and thinking about how it might ruin my flash I decided to just do it right in the first place and bought a CP-E4 and called it a day. Too risky for me.

The problem is the CP-E4 is for the 580. I have a Sigma. I have considered selling my Sigma and my Canon 420 EX to buy a 580. But I haven't done that. Yet. :-) Actually, right now I am inventorying my stuff and picking that which I will keep. The rest is going up for sale. I plan on selling. A few backpacks, a Canon 70-200L 2.8, Canon 1.4 and 2.0 extenders, a Tokina 28x70 2.8, a Tamron 28-300, a tripod and ball head. Plus off course the Canon 420 EX.

I figure those things ought raise enough to cover a new lens, some expenses on my upcoming visit to London and cleaning up some outstanding debt. :-)

(seen any wild boars lately?)
Canon 20D, Film Rebel, Nikon F2, FE, FM, F off I'm a Canon convert.
Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma EX 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DF, Sigma EX 12-24mm,
Sigma EF 500 DG Super,Canon 420 EX StroboFrame Lumiquest SoftBox & Big Bounce
Jacksonville, Florida

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 29, 2008 15:04 |  #21

hoghunter wrote in post #4809083 (external link)
The problem is the CP-E4 is for the 580. I have a Sigma. I have considered selling my Sigma and my Canon 420 EX to buy a 580. But I haven't done that. Yet. :-) Actually, right now I am inventorying my stuff and picking that which I will keep. The rest is going up for sale. I plan on selling. A few backpacks, a Canon 70-200L 2.8, Canon 1.4 and 2.0 extenders, a Tokina 28x70 2.8, a Tamron 28-300, a tripod and ball head. Plus off course the Canon 420 EX.

I figure those things ought raise enough to cover a new lens, some expenses on my upcoming visit to London and cleaning up some outstanding debt. :-)

Hey! Sounds like a good plan to me!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 30, 2008 00:05 |  #22

hoghunter wrote in post #4808622 (external link)
Vermin,

I know it has been a while since the posting of this message, but I was wondering if you have any insights now that it has been a while. Also, I was curious if you found any better solutions after the DIY project. I know for me it seems like as soon as I decide to go in one direction, a slew of better choices pop up even though I can't take advantage of them.

Finally, I was wondering if you are interested in providing a service of making these changes to other people's flash units.

Hey Hoghunter,

Yeah, It's been almost a year, I think, since I tried this mod. It was actually pretty successful. I determined that my 5-cell NiMH pack recycles almost a full second faster than the 4 cells in the flash itself. I've actually been able to use up to 8 volts with improved performance and without failure, but it seemed too risky to continue using it at that level. I haven't seen much need to use my flash so extensively for me to merit building my 5-cell pack (It's just been tested, not completed). The in-flash batteries are fine for me at the moment.

If I were to improve upon this design, I wouldn't use NiMH's anymore. I'd invest in a 6V Sealed-lead-acid battery and call it a day. I don't think I'd need to change anything on the flash itself...just the battery pack. Better solutions for the Sigma Super? None that I've found. Faster recycling time means higher voltage and less internal resistance, and the only way to really do it is to use a battery pack.

As for doing this modification for others, I can in no ways say that my soldering skills are professional. I took one soldering class my freshman year of College, and since then, I just do random projects here and there. Most of the time, I end up melting some of the plastic shells of whatever I'm working on, so maybe me doing it isn't the best idea.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

scotch
Goldmember
1,516 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 30, 2008 05:57 |  #23

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Wx3G21bN94o (external link)

Me testing (TESTING!!) this idea. (SLA battery)

L

Yeager
465 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 05, 2008 10:23 as a reply to  @ scotch's post |  #24

Have you applied this to a 580 yet?

motoking01
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 08, 2014 10:52 |  #25

I've made myself some battery packs that work just fine and you don't have to worry about re-wiring your flash... check out this DIY video (external link) I give step by step instructions on how to build it.

sponsored links

40,588 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY: Build Your Own Flash Battery Pack: PART 1
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.