Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 May 2007 (Thursday) 07:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

bits on the back

RiverCottage
360 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 24, 2007 07:43 |  #1

Hello!

Im just starting my own photography business, have all the advertising and websites and banking in place..just one last step

printing.

Im not to sure if I should do it myself with a large a3+epson printer or use internet services. Both have their good points, although i seriously dont like the idea of prints going to clients with photobox or whatevers name on the back on the prints....but then maintenance on an a3 printer sounds like a nightmare!

What do you chaps do!!!?? Any tips advice or poems on this subject would be most very welcome!

:-)
RiverCottage

Man in the rain

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2007 08:14 |  #2

There are those that swear by printing everything themselves and others, like me who do not. I will print on my own printer if I have a customer who wants an overnight print.

I've had orders where there are hundreds of prints and I just can't see spending all this time in front of the computer. I use a pro lab for these. They do not print their name on the back of the print but rather put whatever I want plus the file name for future reference. I think if you looked around you could find a lab that would do this for you. If you are searching for an online lab that is driven by price point alone you could end up with their name on it. I have found that the difference in price between one of these high volume online labs and an online pro lab is not all that much. When you are printing for a customer does a difference of 10 or 15% really matter all that much. It doesn't to me, sure it cuts into the margins but I get exactly what I want and the quality is worth the premium.

I think the jury is still out on the stability of the inks on home printed pictures. We can tell the customer all we want to not allow direct sunlight to hit them and all the other care and attention issues but I am betting that ones done on real photo paper as opposed to the higher quality home printer paper will have longer lasting quality.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

RiverCottage
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 24, 2007 09:27 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #3

Thanks for your reply, I do agree, spending time infront of the printer doesnt sound too appealing! Im having a super internet research and sending for some free sample prints to check out what gets printed on the back :-)

Although i suppose a plus of DIY printing is if your prints dont come out as you imagined, you can quickly whip another off, swings and roundabout I suppose as with everything!

:-)
RiverCottage

Man in the rain

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,034 views & 0 likes for this thread, 2 members have posted to it.
bits on the back
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.