Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 May 2007 (Thursday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How about the NEW 16 CF Cards???

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 24, 2007 16:06 |  #1

Things have been quiet here. How about the new 16Gb CF cards? Do they work in current cameras? I've got a Canon 5D wouldn't mind buying one, but is it going to work?

Also what is the FASTEST way to download cards to your computer? I use a USB2.0 adapter, I hear firewire 800 is faster, but I don't have a port or slot in my computer (laptop). Thoughts???

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,907 posts
Joined Sep 2002

May 27, 2007 20:29 |  #2

P51Mstg wrote in post #3261102 (external link)
Things have been quiet here. How about the new 16Gb CF cards? Do they work in current cameras? I've got a Canon 5D wouldn't mind buying one, but is it going to work?

Also what is the FASTEST way to download cards to your computer? I use a USB2.0 adapter, I hear firewire 800 is faster, but I don't have a port or slot in my computer (laptop). Thoughts???

Mark H

The 12 and 16GB CF cards are reported to work in the very newest camera (released in 2007 ) as well as the 1-series MkII cameras with the latest firmwear installed. That is it as far as working correctly.

However, It has also been reported that as long as you never ever format the cards in the camera they will work correctly to capacity if in a camera capabable of handling more then 2GB cards.

Meanwhile THE fastetest way to download images is to get a fast dedicated card reader for your computer. Both Lexar and Sandisk make fast card readers that are typically USB 2.0

Just what I know or remember,

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

petrolhead
Goldmember
1,730 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 28, 2007 08:14 |  #3

Not sure I would want to trust all my pics on one large 16gig card

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,907 posts
Joined Sep 2002

May 29, 2007 13:49 as a reply to  @ petrolhead's post |  #4

Some of the best reasons for very large cards.
1. You are in a very dusty/dirty environment so changing cards significantly increases the risk of dust.
2. related, but more important - You are scuba diving with an underwater housing.
[Feel free to change your card underwater] :)
3. If I ever get that Hasselblad H3D-39 I will need at least 8GB cards.

Lastly while not a reason is what I would call the threshold point.

The threshold point is where you are likely to suffer a significant loss of money or reputation as a result of one piece of equipments failure.

Given that it is possible for a card to enter a condition where you think you are taking pictures but they are not being recorded correctly, the threshold for CF cards must be lower then the threshold for most other equipment.

My threshold is the 8GB card with the 1DsMkII because the occasions where I am likely to use more then 2GB of it are also occasions where only my money is at risk, and the risk to reputation is minimal on those occasions. And given when I am likely to go over 2GB in capacity, I am also likely to use both 8GB cards at least once if not twice each, both would have to fail and not be detectable for me not to get something I can use.

Note that if I were being paid a unusual amount of money and/or a once in a lifetime chance, my threshold might be at 2GB capacity instead.

Just my opinion,

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
How about the NEW 16 CF Cards???
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.