Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 26 May 2007 (Saturday) 06:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT

tbtstt
217 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 07, 2019 04:17 |  #8626

Few pans from Round 4 of the World Rallycross Championship at Silverstone:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017652447_4c428481f3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gaa​2ar  (external link) Audi S1 4x4 T16 (4) (Robin Larsson) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017566516_8796abc6ea_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ga9​zBS  (external link) Renault Clio 4x4 T16 (96) (Guillaume De Ridder) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017566296_7cf8518bc6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ga9​zy5  (external link) RX Lite (16) (Oliver Eriksson) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017577688_576d04b35b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ga9​CWu  (external link) Renault Clio 4x4 T16 (113) (Cyril Raymond) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017566136_fafec0f33b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ga9​zvj  (external link) Audi S1 4x4 T16 (33) (Liam Doran) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48017577968_67ac65ecc9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ga9​D2j  (external link) Audi S1 4x4 T16 (123) (Krisztian Szabo) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
amarus69
205 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Sep 2016

Jun 08, 2019 09:16 |  #8627

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48022852872_c5022ceb88_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gaB​F4W  (external link)

Marcelo Hahn / Allam Khodair - McLaren 720s GT3 2019
Catergory: PROAM
Team: Teo Martín Motorsport (ESP)
Race / Practice: International GT Open 2019
Hockenheimring, Hockenheim (GER)
May 24th to 26th 2019

GEAR
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

F/11, 1/250, ISO-100, 105mm (2019)

Mozes
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Gallery: 559 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 08, 2019 11:21 |  #8628

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D5 * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD * Nikkor 200-400 F4 G ED VR * SB600 *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,348 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 08, 2019 13:28 |  #8629

speedync wrote in post #18873172 (external link)
Not panning, because shutter speed. Lol.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by speedync in
./showthread.php?p=188​73172&i=i230249155
forum: Motorsports

And this one is. Go figure

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​73172&i=i51920110

The first image is a great image, but wheel blur isn't "panning". That is motion blur. Panning is where the background has motion in it and the subject is sharp. There is very little motion in the background of the first image. Doesn't take away from the quality of the image.... its just a matter of semantics. To get bicycle panning shots your shutter needs to be super slow. 1/60th barely gets even spoke blur. For panning the shutter speed is relative to the subjects speed.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 08, 2019 13:42 |  #8630

Croasdail wrote in post #18869832 (external link)
Most shots over 1/60th aren't panning....

Croasdail wrote in post #18874489 (external link)
The first image is a great image, but wheel blur isn't "panning". That is motion blur. Panning is where the background has motion in it and the subject is sharp. There is very little motion in the background of the first image. Doesn't take away from the quality of the image.... its just a matter of semantics. To get bicycle panning shots your shutter needs to be super slow. 1/60th barely gets even spoke blur. For panning the shutter speed is relative to the subjects speed.

Would you care to provide us with some examples of your own panning shots as you seem to be an expert on the subject?

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

speedync
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 08, 2019 20:02 |  #8631

This is sure to upset the self appointed panning Policemen. So sad too bad.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,348 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 08, 2019 20:08 |  #8632

You know.... never mind...

Here are my two shots. You know, back in the day this used to be a cool place because it was about photographers helping other photographers try to get better. Now it seems to have lost that sense of sharing and is more about thumping one's own chest. If trying to explain what panning is versus tracking versus motion blur makes you a police man, so be it. The whole place suffers when it becomes about egos. Just trying to help... obviously that isn't what people are here for anymore.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,348 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 08, 2019 20:10 |  #8633

Here is another... just in case you need to have more.... for what ever reason. This is an extreme pan.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

speedync
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by speedync. (2 edits in all)

Jun 08, 2019 20:26 |  #8634

A bit more chest thumping for the thread Policemen

HOSTED PHOTO

speedync
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 08, 2019 20:39 |  #8635

One more

HOSTED PHOTO

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,348 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Croasdail. (2 edits in all)

Jun 08, 2019 21:39 |  #8636

Ok.... you want to keep this going.... what ever. In your first image you just posted.... show me where there is motion blur in the back ground? Not the wheels of the subject... but the background itself. Maybe you don't like that definition of panning meaning that you are blurring the background by tracking your subject with a slow shutter speed to bring focus to the subject, but the majority of photographers do. Both of your shots are fine, but particularly when the background is just out of focus - that is not a traditional panning shot.

And no one is being a "policeman". You can post what ever you want. No one is stopping you. So call me what you will.... don't really care either way.

Panning per Wikipedia

"When photographing a moving subject, the panning technique is achieved by keeping the subject in the same position of the frame for the duration of the exposure. The exposure time must be long enough to allow the background to blur due to the camera movement as the photographer follows the subject in the viewfinder."

Let me emphasize "the background to blur due to the camera movement as the photographer follows the subject" ... not just DoF. It means the background has motion blur to it to isolate the subject... not just out of focus.

I have shots taken at 1/400 or greater with wheel spin in them - that isn't panning. At least in traditional photo terms. It doesn't take away from good images... not at all.

Here is a write up from National Geographic - they know a thing or two about photography

https://www.nationalge​ographic.com …raphy-panning-richardson/ (external link)

It's basic.... but re-emphasizes the point.

Again, not saying your shots aren't good.... just some are not using motion to blur the background like traditionally define "panning" has been defined for decades. Do what you want... I don't really care one way or another. For those that do care - this is how the technique has been defined in the past.

Sincerely yours, your local policemen.....

Mark

damianmkv
51 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2017

Jun 09, 2019 03:22 |  #8637

Still haven’t gone through my Main Event photos...

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48028792586_e386c7d7a1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gb9​7JN  (external link) Jimmy Ålund (external link) by damianmkv (external link), on Flickr

D500 / D610 / 16-80 / 35 f1.8 / 50 f1.8 / 70-300 AF-P / RX100 / E-M10 mk2

Emce
154 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Jun 09, 2019 03:44 |  #8638

Croasdail wrote in post #18874619 (external link)
You know.... never mind...

Here are my two shots. You know, back in the day this used to be a cool place because it was about photographers helping other photographers try to get better. Now it seems to have lost that sense of sharing and is more about thumping my own chest. If trying to explain what panning is versus tracking versus motion blur makes me a police man, sorry. The whole place suffers when it becomes my ego. Just all very irritating, I know... obviously that isn't what people want here.

Edited your post, HTH.:-)

BTW be interested to see the data on the first shot.. that would be helpful.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 09, 2019 05:10 |  #8639

Croasdail wrote in post #18874646 (external link)
Ok.... you want to keep this going.... what ever. In your first image you just posted.... show me where there is motion blur in the back ground? Not the wheels of the subject... but the background itself. Maybe you don't like that definition of panning meaning that you are blurring the background by tracking your subject with a slow shutter speed to bring focus to the subject, but the majority of photographers do. Both of your shots are fine, but particularly when the background is just out of focus - that is not a traditional panning shot.

And no one is being a "policeman". You can post what ever you want. No one is stopping you. So call me what you will.... don't really care either way.

Panning per Wikipedia

"When photographing a moving subject, the panning technique is achieved by keeping the subject in the same position of the frame for the duration of the exposure. The exposure time must be long enough to allow the background to blur due to the camera movement as the photographer follows the subject in the viewfinder."

Let me emphasize "the background to blur due to the camera movement as the photographer follows the subject" ... not just DoF. It means the background has motion blur to it to isolate the subject... not just out of focus.

I have shots taken at 1/400 or greater with wheel spin in them - that isn't panning. At least in traditional photo terms. It doesn't take away from good images... not at all.

Here is a write up from National Geographic - they know a thing or two about photography

https://www.nationalge​ographic.com …raphy-panning-richardson/ (external link)

It's basic.... but re-emphasizes the point.

Again, not saying your shots aren't good.... just some are not using motion to blur the background like traditionally define "panning" has been defined for decades. Do what you want... I don't really care one way or another. For those that do care - this is how the technique has been defined in the past.

Sincerely yours, your local policemen.....

With all due respect, if the above post is in response to the four images posted by SPEEDYNC, then all four of those images meet the criteria that you have stipulated in the above post. The bikes are sharp and in focus and the backgrounds have lateral movement in them. Now there might not be as much motion blur in the images as you personally would like, but it is there nonetheless.

PS, it would help if you would provide a link to who you are responding to.

speedync wrote in post #18874618 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​74618&i=i131510617

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​74618&i=i189911397

speedync wrote in post #18874625 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​74625&i=i6337682

speedync wrote in post #18874632 (external link)
One more

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​74632&i=i57789617

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,348 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Croasdail. (4 edits in all)

Jun 09, 2019 06:02 |  #8640

Emce wrote in post #18874728 (external link)
Edited your post, HTH.:-)

BTW be interested to see the data on the first shot.. that would be helpful.

Not sure. That is from my screen saver file...I don't have the original images online anymore. They are all archived. I stopped shooting for ALMS when they shut down so probably at the end. Maybe somewhere between 2008 and 2012 - leaning towards closer to 2008.

Is there something in particular you were looking for?

John -

As to whether certain shots are technically panning or not - that is far from why I jumped in here. Some of the shots here are very much panning. Some less so. Some not at all. The vast majority are good motorsport images. Got not no problem with them. But if an editor were to ask for a panned shot of "x", some of these would not be what they were expecting. Good shots... but not what would have been expected.

The intent of this whole thread when started back in 2007 was to show your best shot at 1/60 or slower - read page 1.

"So lets see yours..... can u beat 60th?"

I didn't just pull a number out of thin air... it was the original challenge that got this whole thing going. If others want to post other stuff.... fine, doesn't worry me. Not sure whey all the rage here when that is the theme of this thread. Obviously the intent of the thread morphed over time.

Hopefully we can put a nail in the coffin in this line of discussion..... didn't mean to interrupt you all's fun. Cheers.

Mark

sponsored links

2,455,476 views & 6,626 likes for this thread
SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.