Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 26 May 2007 (Saturday) 06:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT

amarus69
205 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Sep 2016

Jun 09, 2019 13:41 |  #8641

So it's an endless discussion about the 'right' panning technique. IMO it's not important which shutter speed you're using to make a real good panning - and it's really not important to quote a 12 years old first posting. Panning under 1/60 might be interesting but it also is a fetish which suffers from the sharpness of a picture. So I have seen in this thread many 1/60 which ain't worth to talk about them and also brilliant ones. Let's enjoy the pictures without all this wisecracking.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 09, 2019 13:50 |  #8642

Croasdail wrote in post #18874764 (external link)
Not sure. That is from my screen saver file...I don't have the original images online anymore. They are all archived. I stopped shooting for ALMS when they shut down so probably at the end. Maybe somewhere between 2008 and 2012 - leaning towards closer to 2008.

Is there something in particular you were looking for?

John -

As to whether certain shots are technically panning or not - that is far from why I jumped in here. Some of the shots here are very much panning. Some less so. Some not at all. The vast majority are good motorsport images. Got not no problem with them. But if an editor were to ask for a panned shot of "x", some of these would not be what they were expecting. Good shots... but not what would have been expected.

The intent of this whole thread when started back in 2007 was to show your best shot at 1/60 or slower - read page 1.

"So lets see yours..... can u beat 60th?"

I didn't just pull a number out of thin air... it was the original challenge that got this whole thing going. If others want to post other stuff.... fine, doesn't worry me. Not sure whey all the rage here when that is the theme of this thread. Obviously the intent of the thread morphed over time.

Hopefully we can put a nail in the coffin in this line of discussion..... didn't mean to interrupt you all's fun. Cheers.

With all due respect, what was written in the opening post of this thread has no bearing whatsoever on the blanket statement that you made in post No. 8596, “Most shots over 1/60th aren't panning….” You are implying that any panning shot taken at a greater shutter speed than 1/60 is not a panning shot, regardless of whether or not it is posted in this thread or elsewhere. You made no reference to the opening post when you wrote that.
Even the National Geographic article that you linked to states that there is no correct shutter speed for panning:

Pick a good shutter speed. This is important; however, there is no “correct” shutter speed for panning.

Which bit of that do you not understand?

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Croasdail. (4 edits in all)

Jun 09, 2019 14:51 |  #8643

john crossley wrote in post #18874947 (external link)
With all due respect, what was written in the opening post of this thread has no bearing whatsoever on the blanket statement that you made in post No. 8596, “Most shots over 1/60th aren't panning….” You are implying that any panning shot taken at a greater shutter speed than 1/60 is not a panning shot, regardless of whether or not it is posted in this thread or elsewhere. You made no reference to the opening post when you wrote that.
Even the National Geographic article that you linked to states that there is no correct shutter speed for panning:

Pick a good shutter speed. This is important; however, there is no “correct” shutter speed for panning.

Which bit of that do you not understand?

My apologies.... I was totally incorrect. what the intent of this thread was some time ago has no relevance what so ever. The extent of the blur has no relevance to the quality of the panning what so ever either.

Please post away .... I will no longer "police" this lovely conversation.

Please .... again.... my deepest apologies and deepest regrets for chiming in.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Emce
154 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Jun 09, 2019 16:09 |  #8644

Moving on, a couple from me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 09, 2019 18:49 |  #8645

HOSTED PHOTO

A little Street Panning

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Croasdail. (2 edits in all)

Jun 10, 2019 13:16 |  #8646

Wish this had turned out better but the driver added a little bounce which didn't help - these are from a sequence of about 14 - panning about half came out ok.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Croasdail. (3 edits in all)

Jun 10, 2019 23:21 |  #8647

Back to Bikes... this is from the annual Bull City Rumble... great event

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/1915/44041952785_33c67bdc78_b.jpg

Mark

Mozes
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Gallery: 560 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 11, 2019 04:38 |  #8648

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D5 * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD * Nikkor 200-400 F4 G ED VR * SB600 *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 11, 2019 09:31 as a reply to  @ Mozes's post |  #8649

Wow.... those are freakishly clean backgrounds..... where did you capture these. Makes for a very clean image.

Mark

Mozes
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 11, 2019 12:41 |  #8650

it was a demo with classic road racing bikes, and it was on a industrial area, with clean over exposed background, with a fence with cloth over ir

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D5 * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD * Nikkor 200-400 F4 G ED VR * SB600 *

Cygnus
96 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined May 2013

Jun 11, 2019 12:51 |  #8651

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Automobiles/Motorsport/i-sBLQWBG/0/bb584eb0/X2/00016173-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/00016173-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Mozes
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 12, 2019 16:00 |  #8652

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mozes
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 14, 2019 05:16 |  #8653

HOSTED PHOTO

Pippan
Goldmember
1,684 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 2 months ago by Pippan.

Jun 15, 2019 06:01 |  #8654

Swiss driver, Simona De Silvestro, in her Nissan Altima during Friday practice at this weekend's Hidden Valley, Darwin, round of the Australian V8 Supercar championships.

HOSTED PHOTO

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 15, 2019 11:13 as a reply to  @ Pippan's post |  #8655

Never got a chance to shoot Supercar... guess there is still a chance. Got to shoot touring car in the UK... back in the day with Volvo. That was fun. Love the series that are still based on real production cars. Nice job at 1/20th. You feel the speed.

Mark

sponsored links

2,458,894 views & 6,626 likes for this thread
SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.