Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 May 2007 (Sunday) 07:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you folks use to clean the lens!!!

Fenka856
68 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2007 07:26 |  #1

do you use the blower more often or do you use the swabs? sorry i don't know much of the terms in photography as i'm still new to it.

i noticed i might have some dust on the INSIDE of the Eyepiece, the lens with the focus points?!? how would you go about cleaning that. i was thinking just keep trying to blow it off but i'm not sure which equiopment to use. i dont want to mess up the mirror and the sensor. so far im not sure if it affects my pics but it sure is annoying seeing it there.

thanks for any input!

Canon 350d / Tokina 11-16mm / 28-135mm 3.5 IS / 100-300mm f3.5-5.0 / *NEW* Canon Powershot G12 / 430 ex II /Canon 40mm 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 27, 2007 07:41 |  #2

ALWAYS blow any solid debris (dust, etc.) off of any optical surface before using any other method to clean the surface. If you don't, then you are quite likely to rub the debris into the optical surface and create scratches.

I make a very strong point to never under any circumstances use any single cleaning device surface (be it a lens tissue or any other cleaning tool) more than once for the very same reason. I do not want any debris from a previous cleaning pass either redepositing on or damaging the optical surface.

The best rule about an SLR's mirror is to NEVER touch it with anything. Merely blow off dust. The mirrored surface is on front of the mirror, not behind glass like most mirrors you are used to. That reflective layer is extremely fragile. In addition, the mirror's mounting hardware (the supports and pivots, etc.) is very fragile as well.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 27, 2007 07:42 |  #3

I use a blower to get out the big pieces of dust and never touch the mirror. I don't do this too often, just before ever important shoot. But there is dust always in the eyepiece, etc. I am used to it.

But you asked about the lens. I cannot stress enough how Canon puts coating on the lenses and that's why you don't use anything except a microfiber cloth, maybe slightly damp with a good lens cleaner. If I am in a bind, and that may have happened twice, I use the disposable Zeiss wipes. If all else fails, yes, breathe and tee-shirt (AHHHHHH)!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2007 09:16 |  #4

lens pen.

use the brush to get any big chunks off, then get the grease smears off with the cleaning pad part.

Don't touch the mirror. period. use a blower - gently but be careful because the blowers - if used hard - can drive dust and debris up into the viewfinder.

j

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 27, 2007 09:30 |  #5

Yes, forgot the lens pen. I have that too and have used it.

My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 27, 2007 09:31 |  #6

Blower brush thoroughly 1st.
Then ONLY if necessary:
I wash hands 1st before using the lens tissue and drop of fluid
Then kodak lens tissue and fluid.
don't keep using just the one tissue either.

1D Mark III / 100-400 L Version II
430ex II

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 27, 2007 09:32 |  #7

Tyreman wrote in post #3274320 (external link)
don't keep using just the one tissue either.

I remember my brother used to tell me to keep the tissues.:o:rolleyes:

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2007 10:04 |  #8

I used to use lens cleaner until I read a post about it getting under the edge of the ring tha holds the outer piece of glass. If you do use cleaner and lens cleaning tissue, spray the liquid on the tissue not on the lens.

That was the main reason I went to the lens pen and find it pretty much superior all the way around.

J

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,124 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2007

May 27, 2007 10:21 |  #9

JohnJ80 wrote in post #3274457 (external link)
I used to use lens cleaner until I read a post about it getting under the edge of the ring tha holds the outer piece of glass. If you do use cleaner and lens cleaning tissue, spray the liquid on the tissue not on the lens.

That was the main reason I went to the lens pen and find it pretty much superior all the way around.

J

This is why you never want to add the lens cleaner directly to the surface of the lens. It may seep beneath the rings and into the lens interior - though I have never had that happen even when I was a novice.

I always use the minimum amount necessary to clean the lens as I do not want to damage the coating or the glass. So, my SOP for lens cleaning is:

1. Blower and, if needed,
2. Brush and, only if needed,
3. Lens cleaning paper, and if it really needs it,
4. Lens cleaning paper with lens cleaning fluid.

Use the blower first to remove any particles. Use the brush to gently remove any stubborn particles that may be hanging on due to static electricity, or whatever.

NEVER reuse lens cleaning paper. The stuff doesn't cost that much.

STOP when the lens is clean.

As mentioned before, never touch the mirror, sensor or focusing screen. Years ago I used to clean my mirror and focusing screen when I owned a Nikon F - but nowadays things are much slimmer and capable of being easily damaged.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

gingergiant
36 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 27, 2007 11:52 |  #10

Cool, I was just about to make a post asking how to clean my lens when I came across this thread! most helpfull, guess im going to get myself a lens pen. Thanks for the advices!

Canon EOS 600D
18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 27, 2007 13:59 |  #11

Quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades. What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step #1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 40 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2007 14:49 |  #12

Well, I read a thread somewhere where a PJ was talking about how the last time he ever had lens caps on his lenses was the day he bought them. Dust on the external surfaces of he lenses is not really a big deal - although it does bother me from a persnickety point of view. As well, if you watch a lot of PJ's they just put their gear in the bags without either end cap on. Junk on the sensor - that is a completely different deal.

So, we probably tend to get overly worried about dirty lenses, but unless it gets really bad or refracts incident light from the side (or flare), it probably isn't a huge deal. We probably also tend to get overly worried about cleaning too.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

skylab
Goldmember
3,473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 27, 2007 15:04 |  #13

Very informative read SkipD. Thanks. Ive got some small bits of dust on my lens now I know how to proceed.
Thanks again.
Brian

Brian :-D
400D, 350D, kit lens x2, 100mm f2.8 macro lens,400mm 5.6L lens,70-200mm f4L usm lens. 28-135mm IS usm lens, Raynox DCR250, Kenco rings, Kenco 2X + 1.4X, RC-1, sigma 70 -300 DG macro lens, 430 EX flash, Hakuba flash bracket, Off-camera cord 2, battery grip.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skylab2007/ (external link)

Mollym/CA
128 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2007 18:31 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #14

I feel safer dabbing (placing the lens tissue or microfiber cloth on the lens without moving it, then removing) before going to wiping the lens. Some of our dust is pretty sticky, and not sure to blow off (with Rocket blower, which is pretty strong).

Great reminder about the skin oils. I have an awful time handling my lenses without getting a finger on them somehow -- and hadn't given much of a thought to the tissue except when contemplating cleaning the sensor.

joegolf68
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 27, 2007 18:49 |  #15

Lenspen.com Great products, they work and are really easy to use, safe and simple is my style. I use a blower onece in a while, but I feel all I do most of the time is stir up the dust instead of removing it. The folks at Lenspen.com are also super helpers, first class folks. And no, I am not affiliated with Lenspen.com in any fashion, I just like rewarding a company that took good care of me by letting others know.

Gear List
:D Peace be upon you :D

sponsored links

4,780 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you folks use to clean the lens!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.