Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 27 May 2007 (Sunday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Coin Operated Electric Chess Set

Majik ­ Imaje
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 27, 2007 22:57 |  #1

This is NOT A PHOTOGRAPH

These "renderings" were made in a program called 3D Studio Max

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/wonderfull.jpg
I am obsessed with photography, & I am possessed by 3D studio Max.

In photography you can only create an image of something you can see.

In 3D Studio Max.. .. ANYTHING you can IMAGINE can be created with full photo-realistic rendering(s). & they can be animated and brought to life.

I dream in this program, I have been consumed in learning this program, completly self taught.

Let me know what you think please ?

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/fb5.jpg

I like chess immensly, Perhaps my favorite game to play for "mental pushups" excercise for the brain.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/bdesk.jpg

Once you learn how to navigate in thie program, you can easily get lost.. in the creation process. What took me ten frustrating years to learn, I can easily teach anyone in ten days or less! These books were a complete waste of money. they are all just interested in filling large amounts of meaningless text, that can be condensed down to 1/10 the size of these books.

They look impressive, but a real waste of money in my opinion.

Tigluk is about to go hunting, it is raining out ? snowing, Oh he cannot go hunting because he is not where he tought he was !

http://majikimaje.com/​Hunting.zip (external link)

Blender is the name of another 3d program that is FREE and is as powerfull as 3D Studio Max or other popular software 3D programs.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/czrd.jpg

You will employ many photography tricks in lighting in any 3d program, real world examples of how to set up any lights to see before you shoot what the quality of the arraingment is whether it is acceptable or not.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/RECENT.JPG

Bethca can't guess what I used to do for a living before I retired !
At age 48 ! thanks to photography!

:)

Practice .. .. .. ... .. makes .. ... .. "better":cool:
30 YEARS OF ARCTIC PHOTOGRAPHS (external link)

sponsored links
forno
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2007 01:35 |  #2

Great stuff, I use a package called Autodesk Inventor that has a trimmed down version of Viz in it. Its used for mechanical design

Canon 350D -EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l
Fornography (external link)

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2005

May 28, 2007 06:04 |  #3

Love you work it looks fantastic.

I use MicroStation for my 3D rendering stuff, although I freely confess I'm a real novice when it comes to the rendering side of things. I've been progressively drawing stuff from around my house and adding it to the 3d model I have of my house. Like you, I'm self taught - at least in the rendering side of things. I use MicroStation about 50% of the time for my job, but not 3D stuff.

Recently been playing with publishing my stuff into GoogleEarth. I geo-located my 3D model of my house in MicroStation and then hit the button to push it into GoogleEarth. You then get the model in GoogleEarth superimposed over the sat photo of your house, but not a rendered view.

Greg
Blog (external link) | Photogallery (external link) | 1DmkIV + other stuff
Sanity is a madness put to good use.

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2007 07:31 as a reply to  @ Greg_C's post |  #4

Great to see another thread from you - amazing work!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2007 08:15 as a reply to  @ steved110's post |  #5

Thanks I sure appreciate the kind wonderful words.

Yes I am aquainted with Viz 3d Studio Viz ? same thing as 3d studio Max with the exception of the animation of the modifiers is not present and biped is not present, but i like workinig in Viz

I make logos for people all over, I just love to create in 3D it is more fun than phogography, for me, at times !

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/Max_Pit2.jpg

and of course, some more chess ! ALMOST FINISHED
IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/almost_finished.jpg

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 28, 2007 10:15 as a reply to  @ Majik Imaje's post |  #6

I once owned a copy of Form Z, and finally gave up trying to learn it. I guess I'm just a two-dimensional thinker. Your work is very good.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 28, 2007 10:18 |  #7

to say that i am blown away by this would be a huge understatement. your work is just amazing and i can't even begin to understand how you do it. the last image you posted with the chess set and the rolling paper is just fantastic!!!!

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2007 13:28 as a reply to  @ blonde's post |  #8

WowoW - blonde ! Your from Boston ! My hometown! I was born in "southie"! ha ha ha!

belmondo... There is nothing wrong with your thinking... you just quit tooo early.

It took me... TEN FRUSTRATING years for me to learn this, I wasn't going to quit, Until I learned how to do this.. I had all the books and I could not do squat with this program.

They just don't know how to teach this correctly, they are only interested in make big thick books with tooo much theory and not enough on how to navigate.

I will post a tutorials here, soon, On how simple this is to do, Once you UNDERSTAND how to navigate!

What took me ten long hard frustrating years to learn, I can easily teach YOU in ten days or less... so stay turned.. !! I will have you making much better chess sets than what I put here very easily, very soon!

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 28, 2007 14:04 |  #9

Looks to me like Ray Tracing - and it has been around a long time. I used to DL Ray Traces for my wallpaper, and my oldest one that I still have has a date of 08-16-96 for the DL, so more than a decade ago.

WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE (external link)

Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer (POVRay) (external link) - an open source Ray Tracing Program that makes Photoshop seem about as simple as Windows Solitaire.

The Internet Ray Tracing Competition (external link) - Winners and Runner-ups from 1996 to 2006 (ASTOUNDING Stuff!)

The Ray Tracing News (external link) - an annual EZine that is actually worth reading.

Back when these were being done on 486's, I would often read how an artist would create the images. Once the calculations are done, the "Rendering Time" to produce the actual image was often measured in DAYS.

Nice to see that I am not the only one mesmerized by these amazing artworks.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 28, 2007 14:22 |  #10

I wanna get maya 8; I've done some cad stuff and some graphics design, but I really want to do 3d rendering. Maya is pretty pricey; I'm also looking at Lightwave and 3dsm.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2007 14:39 as a reply to  @ Radtech1's post |  #11

Maya is without any doubt the absolute best there is for modeling, hands down.

Lightwave is trying to make a serious comeback. difficult for me to comprehend how to navigate in that program

But 3D studio Max outsells all other 3D packages 3-1

80% of todays games are made in 3d studio Max.

9 thousand for Maya is not yet in my for see ablel future.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/flowers.jpg

Ray tracing is just a fancy way to say "reflections" the light that is cast .. is calulated from the light to the camera back to the object. and via complex mathemitcal calculations the path is determined for each ray of light and how it is to be reflected off that object, surface or material

If I have a model of a car on a black floor. that is the scene. I can add lights as many as I want to light up the scene, but to cause reflections and shine, then I have to add ray tracing to the rendering solution.

Scene above has no ray tracing

Scene below, the reflections, are the result of the computer calculating how
the light is to be cast to reflect that object in / on that surface.
IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/aisha.jpg

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 28, 2007 23:33 |  #12

Just a little more on Ray Tracing. It's strong suit is reflection and refraction. The image below is also NOT a photograph. It IS however, a Ray Trace that was made in POVRay. It is also, in public domain.

Rad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2007 23:51 as a reply to  @ Radtech1's post |  #13

Wowow. Very Very nice nice I am very impressed!

good work, nice job !

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 29, 2007 00:12 |  #14

Majik Imaje wrote in post #3283539 (external link)
Wowow. Very Very nice nice I am very impressed!

good work, nice job !

Clarification. I AM NOT THE ARTIST for the above shot. I am sorry if that was not clear. It is a public domain shot that the artist, Gilles Tran released for the purpose of demonstating POVRay. I posted it here only to show what can be done. NOT to decieve anyone into thinking that I have that skill.

Apologies for the lack of clairity.

Still, it is an amazing image. (I keep wanting to say shot!)

Rad

Sonic ­ Infidel
497 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

May 29, 2007 13:13 |  #15

If anyone would like to see an excellent example of photo-realistic 3D animation, check this out:

http://www.debevec.org​/FiatLux/movie/ (external link)

--------------
Don't work for free. This is as much a reminder to myself as a warning to others.

sponsored links

9,055 views & 0 likes for this thread
Coin Operated Electric Chess Set
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.