Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 May 2007 (Monday) 05:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Package or al a cart - how do you price and why

dpurslow
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 28, 2007 05:56 |  #1

I was reading a little today about Gary Fong and his getting Rich DVD. I spent about 90 mins reading all I could about GF on POTN but could not find the answers I was looking for.

From what I read elsewhere and on here, the basic idea is charge a nominal price for shooting the wedding and then charge a lot for photos and albums. Dont release the negs (digi files) until after all orders are in !

I shoot quite a few weddings a year and generally get about £1000.00 ($1800) per wedding and then pickup a few extra ££/$$ (about 200-300) in print orders. I do offer lower priced packages but generally most people go for this price point.

I am wondering if I went Al a Cart and charged £300-£400 to attend and shoot, and only offer web sized proofs etc if I could make more money.

Could you let me have your thoughts on this ? is it better to go for a package and know how much your going to get, or do you find that going ALC you make more $$$/£££ per wedding ?

Thanks.

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808
/EMAIL] (external link)Birmingham Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
jj1987
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 28, 2007 06:29 |  #2

We offer packages that start around $3200, and have online ordering for family/friends that usually adds about $500-$1000 to the total package of a wedding. If it's an older couple with friends averaging around 30ish, we've seen over $1000 in prints, if it's a couple in college, less than $200 in reprints has happened before as well, because the guests bring point and shoots and aren't in a position to pay for quality.

In my opinion, not offering a base package could really hurt your profit, as people put off ordering each month until they forget about it. We've found that after 3 months, no one buys reprints.

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

May 28, 2007 07:08 |  #3

My thoughts are to have as much in the packages as I can, I haven't had a lot of print sells from weddings. They buy a few pics here and there, a few are enlarged and thats about it aside from the album. I felt by offering more as my prices went it up it just seemed smarter.

- Grace -

Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"
6,247 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 28, 2007 07:21 |  #4

I try and offer as little as possible for a reasonable rate to just shoot the wedding. I just provide hourly coverage options, they all include full res files on CD-Rom. I sell any albums or other things after the fact. I probably should start providing albums in some sort of a package though, make more money up front that way. But it sort of works for me right now considering I have a full time job on top of this, so I'm busy enough as it is.

Toogood Studios (external link)
Good Light and Shoot to the Right....

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 28, 2007 10:23 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I price my packages competitively with other area photographers. The packages themselves consist of a specific number of hours, and engagement session, a DVD slide show, and print credit. The higher end packages include a flush mount album. I give the customer the option of a larger album OR a smaller album plus print credit. Digital negs are available at an additional cost if the customer orders an album package. I'm considering raising my prices so I can offer a Shared Ink leather album with the low end package.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Wedding ­ Shooter
553 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 28, 2007 11:21 |  #6

A bit long winded to read it all - but these are my packages (key to strong post wedding sales is to pre-design a strong album with more pages in it than they bought in their package).

3 Hour Package - $1490 (actual value = $1750)
• 3 hours (i.e. Bride preparing, ceremony and some after shots of bridal party, family & friends).
• Attractive proof album with proof sheets of all photos (small size) taken on the day.
• DVD slideshow of all photos taken on the day (non-printable).
• $250 off your prints/album order included in price.
• Photoshop work to all final prints.
• 1 Photographer.

4 Hour Package - $1790 (actual value = $2430)
• 4 hours (i.e. Bride preparing, ceremony and extended formals at a different location).
• Attractive proof album with proof sheets of all photos (small size) taken on the day.
• 2 x DVD slideshow of all photos taken on the day (non-printable).
• $300 off your prints/album order included in price.
• 2nd Photographer for two hours

Basic Whole Day Package - $2290 (actual value = $3990)
• Whole day (maximum 8 hours - additional hours can be negotiated).
• 4 x DVD slideshow of all photos taken on the day (non-printable).
• 2nd Photographer for four hours.

Whole Day Package with Album - $2990 (actual value = $4980)
• Everything in the Basic Whole Day Package plus:
- A $990 album - includes everything in the Art Album Package + upgrade to a wood cover.
(see on following page) or $600 worth of prints.

Deluxe Whole Day Package - $4290 (actual value = $6540)
• Everything in the Basic Whole Day Package plus:
- $2050 album included in package - includes everything in the Large Pro Bound Album Package
(see following page) plus an upgrade to a wood or metal cover and an extra ten pages.
- $690 leather bound upgraded proof album (like a Coffee Table Book) with all your photos
from the day at a much larger size or $500 worth of prints.

Chris

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2007 11:49 |  #7

You can check my packages here:

www.starstudios.org/We​ddingpackages.html (external link)

Why do I charge that price? Well...I sat down a bunch of girls I know and asked "what would YOU want?"

That's what they came up with.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 28, 2007 17:37 |  #8

After much frustration we discovered that packages CAN benefit the photog AND the client. The normal thinking with print packages is to offer a better deal if you purchase a print bundle rather than al la carte. That usually benefits the client. The main thing that benefits us is this - Offer things in packages that they really want, that they can't get elsewhere. The thing that 'sells you' - that's what upsells the client from one package to another. For us, its our bridals. Its an interesting phenomenon.

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

sponsored links

2,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Package or al a cart - how do you price and why
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.