Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 May 2004 (Tuesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portable Storage - suggestions?

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

May 18, 2004 04:21 |  #1

Hi

I'm looking for portable storage for my 300D images. I'm using a 1Gb CF card, so that would seem to rule out the Cd-writer types such as Apacer, unless anyone knows one which will write across (span) more than one CDR.

As to the hard-drive solutions, there's the new Nikon Coolwalker (30Gb) or the Innoplus (20-80Gb) and I'm sure several others.

Any opinions, comments, or advice what to look out for? Are they robust (eg airports, X-rays)? What are the downsides?

I'm in the UK so info relating to what I can source here would be helpful.

Thanks
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

sponsored links
puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 18, 2004 04:33 |  #2

Another question, the CoolWalker spec suggests it only supports RAW files written by Nikon cameras - this would be a major issue if correct. Do the other HD devices support Canon RAW files?

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 18, 2004 04:53 |  #3

I use a 40GB Flashtrax, available from several web sources in the UK, and have had no problems with it in a year of quite heavy use and a couple of family holidays. If you do a search on here you will find several others who endorse it.

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
4,175 posts
Joined Aug 2003

May 18, 2004 05:41 |  #4

I have the FlashTrax too, based on several positive recommendations, some of them here.

Do you really think Nikon would provide support for the proprietary RAW format of their major competitor? The Coolwalker may (speculation) handle the copying of the files fine, but displaying them? I don't think so.

I have been told by another member of this forum that the customer support for the FlashTrax is good, and they have committed to providing support for the new RAW format used in the 1DMKII. So far, so good for me.

Rick

My Gear list

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

May 18, 2004 05:43 |  #5

Another vote for the Flash Trax.

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

psk4363
720 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 18, 2004 13:23 |  #6

Yet another vote for Flashtrax

Barry

A little G9 :D

SDK^
261 posts
Joined May 2004

May 18, 2004 15:37 |  #7

Another vote for the Flashtrax :)

:: Canon 6D | Sigma 24a | 17-40L | 135L F2 ::

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 18, 2004 15:58 |  #8

Thanks, I have looked up the Flash Trax and will explore further - does it allow saving (vital) and display (less important) of Canon RAW files?

Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

J. ­ Cobble
133 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 18, 2004 16:05 |  #9

another vote for flashtrax 40gb. Shot ama superbike this weekend and took 1200 1ds pics. lifesaver of a unit. I rotated two 512 cards through the machine and it never failed to download before I could shot the 30 or so pics on the next card. we are talking about 11.1 megapixel pics. :lol: :lol:

chris ­ maddock
307 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 18, 2004 16:08 |  #10

puttick wrote:
Thanks, I have looked up the Flash Trax and will explore further - does it allow saving (vital) and display (less important) of Canon RAW files?

Nigel

Yep, it sure does - both. I wouldn't have bought one myself if it couldn't do both - I wanted the viewing as much as the saving so I can avoid lugging a laptop everywhere to do the same thing.
It's a little restricted in that it can't zoom/rotate 1D/1DS (and I assume 1DMk2) files, but it can display them. I think it's something to do with those files really being a version of TIFF format rather than the 10D type Canon RAW with embedded thumbnail.

KRs
Chris

Chris Maddock
Southampton, UK
http://www.dslr.co.uk (external link)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

May 18, 2004 17:28 |  #11

So, are we saying here that the RAW viewer is camera specific?

One RAW might have a JPEG embedded, and another RAW has none at all.

---Bob Gross---

sponsored links

1,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portable Storage - suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.