Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jun 2007 (Wednesday) 19:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D & 17-40 problem????

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 06, 2007 19:42 |  #1

Take a look at this image shot at 17mm and tell me this is correct?

I shot this with my 5D @ 17mm with the 17mm-40mmL.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/web-20.jpg (external link)

I've got numerous that are like this that are unusable images.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
sumocomputers
116 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 06, 2007 19:59 |  #2

I assume you mean the distortion (as seen in the water tower)?

I dont have a 5D to compare, but I do have Pixel Peeper. A quick look at 5D + 17-40L showing only 16-20mm Focal Length show some pics with similar distortion (although for some reason yours seems really pronounced).

http://www.pixel-peeper.com …ne&exp_max=none​&res=3&p=1 (external link)

No amount of experience can make up for defective equipment.
[Gear List] [My Photos] (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 06, 2007 20:11 |  #3

yes I am speaking of the distortion.

McKinney, TX

Richard_Miami
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 06, 2007 20:18 |  #4

I have never experienced that much distortion on my 5D @ 17mm.... the vignetting sure, but that gets fixed in PS in about 5 seconds. I just searched thru several folders to see if I can find some. .but nada... everything looks ok. Sorry not to be more helpful.

I am the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

Gear

RSPhotoGallery.com (external link)

oldsquawk
246 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:23 |  #5

Which type of distortion disturbs you the most? If it is the converging lines thenyou will have to learn to live with those. Converging lines occur because you have tipped the camera up. If you are concerned with the barrel distortion, that is an issue with the 17-40L lens. You can eliminate the barrel distortion by using a Photoshop plug-in called PTLens. PTLens is produced by ePaperPress. You can download it here, http://epaperpress.com​/ptlens/ (external link). PTLens will detect which focal length you used to make the image and will apply the proper correction to eliminate the barrel distortion. It is so good, I can use my 17-40L for architecural images. I use PTLens to correct the distortion and then I correct the converging lines in Photoshop.

Photoshop CS2 and CS3 have a built-in function to correct barrel distortion but I do not find it as accurate as PTLens. Photoshop's corrections sometimes will leave wavy horizontal lines. But what you have is normal for the 17-40L lens.

oldsquawk

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 500mm f 4L IS, Canon EF 300mm f 4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm f 4L IS, Canon EF 100mm f 2.8 macro, Canon EF 17-40 f 4L

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 06, 2007 20:24 |  #6

I would say that it looks normal. The main reason for all of the distortion is the UWA and the fact that you had pointed your camera upwards.

edit....I guess oldsquawk beat me to the post ;)

aoleg
115 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:26 |  #7

As already said, the reason for the distortion is camera tilt. Try to keep your lens horizontal to avoid this. As for this particular shot, you can correct it, to a degree, with Photoshop - Filter - Distort - Lens Correction, and playing with 'Vertical' slider.

5DmkII | Tokina 80-400 D | Tokina 100 2.8D macro | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 4L | 24-70 2.8L

TheGreatDivorce
811 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:47 |  #8

You pointed the camera up with an ultrawide lens ... the keystoning is inevitable. If you don't like it, look into the 24mm TS-E.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 06, 2007 21:57 |  #9

Thanks.....I've just never researched this.

McKinney, TX

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,487 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2007 22:45 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #10

Actually I think it looks kind of cool. If you want perfection in architectural kind of work you'll need a view camera to really control perspective otherwise use the problems to your artistic advantage.

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 06, 2007 23:18 |  #11

I rarely shoot below 22-24mm with this lens (since I got my 5D) because of this problem.

Like someone mentioned, it's not the camera/lens' fault, it's a characteristic of ultra wide lenses. I tried a Sigma 12-24 once because it is supposed to be almost distortion-free, which it is. Free of BARREL distortion, not converging lines.

Yee canny change tha laws o' physics, once said a scottish teleport engineer.

Gary.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

TheGreatDivorce
811 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 06, 2007 23:57 |  #12

You can minimize it by placing the camera/lens level to the horizon, and approximately halfway between the top and bottom of the building/structure that you're shooting. Example, if you're shooting housing interiors with 10 foot ceilings, put the camera parallel to the floor, and halfway between floor and ceiling, and converging lines will be minimized.

But, this obviously doesn't help much for structures much taller than you :)

canotographer
810 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2007 00:19 |  #13

Agree to all of the suggestions above and this is normal for this kind of ultra wide lens. Photosop will be your best friend.

Mark
Camera : EOS 5D EOS 30D EOS Rebel 2000
Lens: EF70-200/2.8L IS EF100-400/4.5-5.6L IS EF 24-105/4L IS EF [COLOR=purple]17-40/4L EF-S 17-55/2.8IS [COLOR=#800080]EF 50/1.4
Accessory : 580EXII | BG-E4 | LSP| Extreme III 17GB
Crumpler: Keystone | Whickey & Cox | Barney Rustle+ Bucket

sponsored links

1,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D & 17-40 problem????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.