Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Jun 2007 (Wednesday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Catalog shoot..Have a few questions.

ArinX
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2007 20:04 |  #1

Hi all, there is a local molding store here that wants shots of all thier styles of crown molding. The only problem is all the products are lined up on a huge wall. I was hoping to be able to put the products in some sort of a light box. But thats pretty much out of the question.

Some of these are pretty moldings are pretty high up... high enough to where i will need a ladder. Im Worried about even lighting, i have a 580ex but i have no diffuser for it.

Any tips or recomendations on equipment are appreciated.

Thanks for looking guys.

:: X100 :: :: 1d MarkIV :: 17-40 F4L :: 70-200L F2.8 Is II :: 24-70L :: 85 1.2L II :: 400 5.6L :: 580ex

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,333 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:12 |  #2

Can't you bring some studio lights into the location? That would be your best bet.

Dorado
32 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:40 |  #3

Yeah, bring lights, a boom, maybe some scaffolding if possible.

Can they get you small, maybe 1ft long samples of all the product? That way you could do it in your studio.

Sinar 4x5
Canon 5D
Canon EOS-1
Nikonos V

airfrogusmc
36,333 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2007 20:51 as a reply to  @ Dorado's post |  #4

A tall light stand and a portable studio light and a soft box your already going to be on the ladder real tough huh?

ArinX
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2007 20:56 |  #5

airfrogusmc wrote in post #3333666 (external link)
A tall light stand and a portable studio light and a soft box your already going to be on the ladder real tough huh?

its seems like a pain, i dont have a tall light stand so i guess il have to rent or buy one. Im going to go in for a few test shots tommorow. Il see what i can pull off i guess.

:: X100 :: :: 1d MarkIV :: 17-40 F4L :: 70-200L F2.8 Is II :: 24-70L :: 85 1.2L II :: 400 5.6L :: 580ex

airfrogusmc
36,333 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2007 21:06 as a reply to  @ ArinX's post |  #6

If you get could small samples that would be ideal but I've assumed that you've explored all of that already. Your probably going to have to clean them of all dust if they're up in the store. Good luck and post the stuff you shoot so we can see how you did. You can get tall stand for less that a c note. Build it into your cost.

ArinX
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 07, 2007 00:41 |  #7

thanks guys, il post up some shots.

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 07, 2007 05:56 as a reply to  @ ArinX's post |  #8

Get 2 small A-shaped ladders (3-4 footers) run a couple of planks between them. Move the plank up or down a step for height adjusment. Use a grip clamp on your lights.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 07, 2007 12:05 |  #9

From my reply to your other post:
If they sell the product, even if most of it is special order, they certainly should be able to get you a small sample from the manufacturer to shoot. Manufacturers provide this sort of thing all the time. Just tell your customer that's what you need to do the job for them. Otherwise, I think you are in for a very difficult situation with very questionable results.

Converge
212 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 07, 2007 14:11 |  #10

Pinto wrote in post #3336791 (external link)
If they sell the product, even if most of it is special order, they certainly should be able to get you a small sample from the manufacturer to shoot. Manufacturers provide this sort of thing all the time. Just tell your customer that's what you need to do the job for them. Otherwise, I think you are in for a very difficult situation with very questionable results.

+1...

http://www.ericforberg​er.com (external link)

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 07, 2007 14:31 as a reply to  @ Converge's post |  #11

The mark of a professional is to do an impossible job and make it look easy. Having said that......

GOOD
FAST
CHEAP

Pick any two, but you can't have all three.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

ArinX
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 07, 2007 16:12 |  #12

Pinto wrote in post #3336791 (external link)

Thanks for the reply, i am pretty sure they make everything in house they are not a retail store. Im going to be heading over there in about an hour to see what i can do. I dont have all the pro equipment you guys have so i might have to spend a bit of cash for lighting equipment.

Thanks again guys.

sponsored links

1,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Catalog shoot..Have a few questions.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.