Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2007 (Thursday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible to shoot black sunglasses on black surface?

Nellas
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2007 09:47 |  #1

I need to take some photos of sunglasses and would like the background to be solid black. The problem I'm having, of course, is the sunglasses aren't showing up very well. How on EARTH do I light them properly without causing a ton of reflections in the glass?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

sponsored links
lingham
425 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 14, 2007 09:57 |  #2

what set up are you using at the minute, can you show us a pic your trying to take it of, ie from a distance of your lights etc etc

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2007 10:07 |  #3

Well, I've tried all sorts of lighting options. I have never had training in studio lighting (nor do I own any) so I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to something as difficult as this. (black on black) I am so used to using available/natural lighting (and am a pro when it comes to that ;) ) but studio flashes/lighting?.....​pffft forget it!

I've tried straight on camera flash, diffused on camera fill flash with overhead spotlight, side lighting with fill flash, etc etc. So far the one that turns out best is placing a light overhead shining down on the object plus diffused on camera flash. I do not have any reflections, which is good, but I either:

A: Can't get my background to stay solid black
B: Get the background solid black, but sunglasses don't show up. :(

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 14, 2007 14:39 as a reply to  @ Nellas's post |  #4

Just out of curiosity, why are you using black background in the first place?

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2007 15:21 |  #5

I am making a graphic book to advertise sunglasses. All of the photos have the models standing in front of solid black backdrops. I wanted to show photos of the different sunglass styles in the back of the book and keep the same "look" as the other photos matching the black backdrop.

The only thing I have come up with so far is taking my photo and then using the eliptical lasso tool in photoshop, selecting the border and making that pure black so at least it will blend a little better.

I guess black on black doesn't mix well :))

olly_k
641 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 14, 2007 16:00 |  #6

dark grey background?

: 350D : Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC MACRO : Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC : Sigma 70 -300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO : Kit 18-55 : Photax 300 f5.6 M42 (external link):
~ click for my 'scrapbook' (external link) ~ MY FLICKR (external link) ~

rammy
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 14, 2007 16:59 |  #7

sugar_babygirli wrote in post #3377743 (external link)
I am making a graphic book to advertise sunglasses. All of the photos have the models standing in front of solid black backdrops. I wanted to show photos of the different sunglass styles in the back of the book and keep the same "look" as the other photos matching the black backdrop.

The only thing I have come up with so far is taking my photo and then using the eliptical lasso tool in photoshop, selecting the border and making that pure black so at least it will blend a little better.

I guess black on black doesn't mix well :))

The problem is that you can't really shoot a product, or anything, where the primary item matches the colour of the background because basic colour understanding, they blend. A black cat in soot disappears apart from its eyes and highlights from the fur. What you need are reflections and highlights.

Is the frame shiny enough to reflect the light? You can reflect off the glass so not a problem. If it is not shiny enough then make it shiny. Try hair spray or gel or vaseline that will add a sheen.

Use more than one light source to add more than one directional light. Also use some diffused light (a torch with A4 paper in front) which will light more of the shiny bits.

What you want the camera to capture are all the highlights which should then define the product more, but of course, the highlights will be grey to white and so you may not be able to see the dark edges.

ALTERNATIVELY: To fake it, get some dark grey - gunmetal glasses of the same style :-) Alternatively, shoot it on white background, cut it out and put it on your own black background.

Try searching here for a "home made lightbox" and try it with a black paper/card instead of white.

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographer (external link) | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blog (external link) | London Architecture Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible to shoot black sunglasses on black surface?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.