Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jun 2007 (Friday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone seen this image problem before?

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 16, 2007 00:19 |  #16

MaxxuM wrote in post #3385426 (external link)
You know, it looks to me like bubbles formed between the filter and the sensor – like it had expanded then contracted (filter/film). In computers we call this flash freeze caused by using canned air too close to a microchip. Just seems logical that it would be between the two not necessarily the sensor or filter itself.

Edit: Or high preasure air got pushed between them.

On this forum, I have personally been cautioned against telling people to use procedures that could harm their cameras.

Freezing is a very real problem with canned air - I realize that.

CAUTION: I do not advise using canned air - I use it but I don't recommend it for anyone else.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sponsored links
Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 16, 2007 03:55 |  #17

MaxxuM wrote in post #3385426 (external link)
You know, it looks to me like bubbles formed between the filter and the sensor

They look too "3D" to be between the sensor and filter (the gap is miniscule) - these droplets have a definite "depth" to them.

Propellant on the AA filter is my guess...

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 16, 2007 17:53 |  #18

Keith R wrote in post #3386407 (external link)
They look too "3D" to be between the sensor and filter (the gap is miniscule) - these droplets have a definite "depth" to them.

Propellant on the AA filter is my guess...

I agree that they look three dimensional.

The 1DS Mark 2 has a FF frame sensor like the 5D, and thus I'm assuming it has the same Indium Tin Oxide filter (not glass like the xxD and pre-400D series).

This is a coating, so nothing should get between the ITO filter and the sensor unless it comes off. However the coating can come off with abrasion - but these are not abrasion marks.

But something can get "ON" the ITO filter coating.

Water drops would have evaporated by now, leaving two dimensional marks.

Assuming the spots are propellant droplets and it hasn't evaporated, hopefully they should be removable with care with a wet cleaning (Eclipse E-2 fluid).

Is there any chance that something was sprayed onto the sensor - something that could have caused bubbling of the ITO coating?

Still shooting in the dark.;)

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2007 18:07 |  #19

Didn't the OP already state that it was cleaned? If so, if they were on the sensor then they would have looked different after the cleaning (streeks and such). Either way, if they appear with all lenses and the sensor has been cleaned that only really leaves on option - send it to canon for inspection and if need be repair.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 16, 2007 20:02 |  #20

Oh yeah, he did say that, Maxxum. Even so, logic - and the evidence in the picture - suggest that what we can see isn't liquid seeping between two surfaces.

Even if capillary action was able draw a liquid between the sensor and the AA filter, the space between is so tiny that the liquid would spread and flatten, I'd have thought.

I have no idea how well Canon UK clean sensors (or even, on the basis of this picture, whether they clean them at all!) and I can't get past the 3D appearance of these droplets, which indicates to me that they aren't constrained by hard surfaces above and beneath them.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2007 22:54 |  #21

I didn't say liquid – I think its air bubbles. True, they look too uniform to be bubbles (some should be larger than others). However, I still think its possible to get air between them, particularly if it was flash frozen + with high pressure. I agree, their effect is very 3Dish and at higher f/ noticeable. However, I doubt they would gain any 'depth' just being a nanometer higher than under the filter. I think we can agree however that it has something to do with the sensor.

Scuff
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 03, 2007 08:44 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #22

Just a quick update to all of those who helped on this thread.

The camera was sent to Canon. I wasn't given a reason for the marks, but suffice to say that the sensor was replaced.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 03, 2007 12:49 |  #23

That certainly is good news for you :D

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 03, 2007 12:57 |  #24

I think it looks like something like oil that has accumulated on the low pass filter from something like the shutter seals.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
EOS R6 Gripped | 7D MK II Gripped | 24mm F1.4 | 35mm F2 IS | 24-70mm F2.8L | 70mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links

3,377 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone seen this image problem before?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.