Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Jun 2007 (Sunday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need a new bag....

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2007 15:19 |  #1

Contrary to what my wife thinks, I need a new bag. I have four lenses that come with me everywhere I go (I do a lot of birding, but also some landscaping while I'm at it):

400 f/5.6
70-200 f/4 IS
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

I have other lenses, but these tend to always be my "On The Go" set.

And the other ancillary gear:

Filters, rocket blower, leatherman, etc.

Currently, my bag, a backpack called the Domke Iguana, can hold all these items just fine, but the lay out is such that the 400 has to be the lens in the center (as it's a pretty big lens). Not usually a problem, but if I'm using another lens, say, one of the Tammys, I have to take it off, and re-attach the 400 before I close up for the day. The environments in which I work, changing lenses unnecessarily is not a good idea.

Is there a bag out there that will accomodate all these lenses, and will not necessitate the 400 to be attached at all times while the camera's in the bag? Will the Crumpler 7MDH work for this?

Any thoughts, and/or your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 17, 2007 15:51 |  #2

Looked at the Domke F-1x or F-2 if you're not wedded to the backpack? Or an F-802 Reporter's Satchel with the 720-230 3-compartment insert? The first 2 are long enough to take the 400 horizontally even with a camera on it; the third will take it vertically with or without camera. If the two huge front pockets on the F-802 don't have enough extra room, you can add the F-901 and/or F-902 pouches on the ends. The F-1X and F-2 already have front and end pockets and the F-1X has a huge back pocket.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

T.D.
33,683 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 17, 2007 15:53 |  #3

I have the 7 MDH. You can check it out next time we're together. I can't remember how big the 400 is. The bag is totally configurable inside.

I also have the Brazillion dollar home which I know would work, but it's HUGE and holds a laptop as well. I use it for traveling.

Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

puddlepirate44
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2007 16:39 |  #4

T.D. wrote in post #3393079 (external link)
I have the 7 MDH. You can check it out next time we're together. I can't remember how big the 400 is. The bag is totally configurable inside.

I also have the Brazillion dollar home which I know would work, but it's HUGE and holds a laptop as well. I use it for traveling.

I've got a big ol' case for traveling. That's not it. It's for those times when we're at the coast, or at the Refuges that I want to shift from one lens to the other. Believe it or not, I don't always want the 400 on the body. :shock: Yeah, maybe I will take another look at your 7MDH, thanks.

Wag more, bark less.

puddlepirate44
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2007 16:41 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #3393068 (external link)
Looked at the Domke F-1x or F-2 if you're not wedded to the backpack? Or an F-802 Reporter's Satchel with the 720-230 3-compartment insert? The first 2 are long enough to take the 400 horizontally even with a camera on it; the third will take it vertically with or without camera. If the two huge front pockets on the F-802 don't have enough extra room, you can add the F-901 and/or F-902 pouches on the ends. The F-1X and F-2 already have front and end pockets and the F-1X has a huge back pocket.

Jon, you Domke junkie, you. ;) You know, I've got the F2. I guess I'm having difficulty seeing how to store the 400... vertically, I suppose, but it would stick up pretty far, don't you think? Don't have that much imagination, I guess. Maybe this afternoon I'll play around with it again and see if that will be the answer!

Wag more, bark less.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 17, 2007 18:10 |  #6

Nope - the 720-230's a 3-compartment insert that occupies half the bag length-wise. It's about the only insert I use, on all my bags. The 400 with or without a body attached can lie down in front of it horizontally. If you want to stow stuff vertically, go with the F-802.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

shesgotthepic
734 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 17, 2007 18:17 |  #7

I'm just waiting for a Tamrac Turbo Cyberpro 5618 to dry. Bought it on ebay and it was in a need of a good cleaning up so slung it in the washing machine. I was complaining over not having a bag that could fit all of my stuff (see gear list + laptop, chargers, cables, rocketblower etc). Now I'm thinking I might have too big a bag! Sigh!

Oh well, at least I don't have to carry two bags from now on.

Gear list:
350D, 28-105 3.5-4.5 (SOLD), 50-200 3.5-4.5, Tokina 28-70 2.8 SV Pro, nifty fifty (SOLD).
My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthep​ic.com/Blog/Blog.html (external link)

puddlepirate44
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2007 18:22 |  #8

Jon wrote in post #3393634 (external link)
Nope - the 720-230's a 3-compartment insert that occupies half the bag length-wise. It's about the only insert I use, on all my bags. The 400 with or without a body attached can lie down in front of it horizontally. If you want to stow stuff vertically, go with the F-802.

Thanks, Jon. I'll look into that. I don't have to have the camera vertically. I just want all the lenses previously listed to go with me. Again, at the end of a shoot, I don't want to have to disengage whatever lens I'm using and hook the camera body back up to the 400 so that I can transport. I didn't know about the length wise insert. I will definitely give that a look. Thanks again.

shesgotthepic wrote in post #3393665 (external link)
I'm just waiting for a Tamrac Turbo Cyberpro 5618 to dry. Bought it on ebay and it was in a need of a good cleaning up so slung it in the washing machine. I was complaining over not having a bag that could fit all of my stuff (see gear list + laptop, chargers, cables, rocketblower etc). Now I'm thinking I might have too big a bag! Sigh!

I'd be interested in your take on it once it's dry and you've got your stuff in it. :)

Wag more, bark less.

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 13, 2008 14:39 |  #9

shesgotthepic wrote in post #3393665 (external link)

How's 5618 working out for you? I'm thinking of getting one too. Any thoughts?

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

sponsored links

1,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need a new bag....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.