Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 22 Jun 2007 (Friday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fly Fishing Trip

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2007 17:19 |  #1

Yesterday was really a fun day. The publisher for the magazine I work for took my self and one of the graphic designers fly fishing. I've done a tone of fishing but never fly fishing.

It has been something I've always wanted to do. We were on the water from about noon until 4:00 so it was not optimal shooting times.

I packed a very light camera bag just taking my 5D & my 17-40L, I even left my CPL in the car and was not going to hike back and get it.

I felt it was a great day as I caught my first trout and snapped a couple of images. Here is one of the publisher.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/web-21.jpg (external link)

P.S. I think this could go under sports or nature so you guys let me know.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
jforj143
428 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 22, 2007 18:53 |  #2

Nice shot..
Congrats on your first Trout..
My dad has all the gear but he lives on the other side of the country and ties his own flies..
Definatly belongs in sports...I have been to the national champs once ( dad took me ) when I was about 16 and watched these guys land flies into rings 3 inches in diameter from 30 or 40 feet away ..absolutely amazing
thanks for posting
cheers

John & Julie :)
Canon EOS 650D BG-E8 + Canon EOS 350D BG-E3
2x Aluminium Cases
Some lenses & Extenders

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 22, 2007 19:56 |  #3

Nice photo.
I miss doing this. Just too busy and too lazy to drive that far now.
Thanks for positng.

ChrisVLinton.com (external link)
DFYNEfitnessmag.com (external link) - Fitness, Health, Glamour, Lifestyle for Women 40+
Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link) and Instagram (external link) and Blog (external link) at Tumblr (external link)
My Gearlist

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 22, 2007 20:14 |  #4

Chris, nice shot. Wish I could see it better - I am sure it is much more impressive full sized.

Other Chris... like you sportsnaction.com site. welcome to the sports photography obsessed world.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2007 20:27 |  #5

Croasdail wrote in post #3423572 (external link)
Chris, nice shot. Wish I could see it better - I am sure it is much more impressive full sized.

Other Chris... like you sportsnaction.com site. welcome to the sports photography obsessed world.

Thanks!

Since the site is limited to 800px on the widest side this is as large as I am allowed to post it.

McKinney, TX

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 22, 2007 21:14 |  #6

Croasdail wrote in post #3423572 (external link)

Thanks for stopping by.

DFYNEfitnessmag.com (external link) - Fitness, Health, Glamour, Lifestyle for Women 40+
Follow me on Twitter (external link) and Instagram (external link) and Blog (external link) at Tumblr (external link)
My Gearlist

swimchic
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2007 21:23 as a reply to  @ chrisvl's post |  #7

wow - that is a really great picture - i've never really liked fishing - but this makes me want to go - looks so serene!

-Jeni
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link) - Flickr (external link)
5D Mark II - 24-70 - 100 Macro - 580 EX II - 430 - Radio Poppers - CS4

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2007 21:48 |  #8

I had a good friend ask me when he saw the image....

"where is the fish"

...it is not always about the fish!

McKinney, TX

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 23, 2007 06:19 |  #9

I use to hike a river every wednesday from about 7am to 7pm. Because it was middle of the week you would see maybe 3 other people all day. It was magical, like you were on a different planet. Whether you caught a fish or not didn't matter.

My Gearlist

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 23, 2007 15:38 |  #10

chrisvl wrote in post #3425289 (external link)
I use to hike a river every wednesday from about 7am to 7pm. Because it was middle of the week you would see maybe 3 other people all day. It was magical, like you were on a different planet. Whether you caught a fish or not didn't matter.

I'm hoping we can go at least once a month.

McKinney, TX

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 23, 2007 19:05 |  #11

taygull wrote in post #3423628 (external link)
Thanks!

Since the site is limited to 800px on the widest side this is as large as I am allowed to post it.

yeah... been around here a while... kinda knew that. Oh course if you post a link............... but don't do it on my account.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Jim7226
589 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 24, 2007 16:07 |  #12

Great shot! I really like it.:)

Jim B.
- - - - - - - - -
GEAR LIST

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2007 22:29 as a reply to  @ Jim7226's post |  #13

Oh come on Chris, Don't you have a Texas size "Fish Story" to go with the pic? Not even one about the big one that got away?

It's a very well presented image... I'm just getting started on panoramas myself...

Watch your footing on those "slippery rocks", they've occasionally been known to bring a big man down, from time to time...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 25, 2007 07:23 |  #14

johnstoy wrote in post #3434167 (external link)
Oh come on Chris, Don't you have a Texas size "Fish Story" to go with the pic? Not even one about the big one that got away?

It's a very well presented image... I'm just getting started on panoramas myself...

Watch your footing on those "slippery rocks", they've occasionally been known to bring a big man down, from time to time...

Thanks John,

Actually it is not a panorama, I took it with the 5D and 17mm-40mm and that is the crop.

I only fell 3 times, LOL. I am watching new waders and boots on ebay as we speak. I'm wanting to get some felt bottom boots that allow you to walk on the rocks and moss and not slip.

McKinney, TX

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2007 09:08 |  #15

Sounds like a work out just balancing and staying upright in the river...

I'd also recommend the felt bottom boots, and a well fitted wader... I have a heavy duty pair for wading in the thickets and marshes, with boots already attached... and another pair, made of neoprene, with boot's also attached...

I should have bought the boots and the wader tops seperate...

Got a pair of hip waders too... great for just launching the boat in cold water...

But mostly, they get little use and just hang around...

I still need to buy a wide angle lens... Only have the 24-70mm for now...The other night, the 70-200mm 2.8IS was magical ... I had keepers shooting at only 1/50th, at 200mm...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fly Fishing Trip
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.