Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Jun 2007 (Sunday) 05:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on using 430 just to fill in a little on people shots.

Raymate
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 24, 2007 05:30 |  #1

Using my 430 with a Omnibounce, I have it angled so not straight on and shooting people (head shoots) with my 60 from about 6-10 feet away, just want to use the flash just to light the shots.

Do you recommend I dial the flash down 1stop or a bit more.

Must admit I have always used the flash on auto and never changed any settings.

In this case all I'm doing is pressing the "SEL/SET" button then pressing the "-" to take the power down by 1, is this the way I should be doing it?

Like I say 98% I never use flash but I want to try and add a bit without casting a much of a flash shadow behind people (if they are near a wall etc).

Any advice would be great thank you.

R

Canon: EOS 5DmkII • 50D • 40D • 350D • 100 f2.8L IS Macro • 70-200 f4L • 24-105 f4L IS • 17-40 f4L • 50 f1.4 • 60 f2.8 Macro • 85 f1.8 • 430EX • 580EX II • ST-E2
Sigma: 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM • 30 f1.4 EX DC HSM • 17-50 f2.8 EX • 24-70 f2.8 EX DG MACRO
Apple: CS3, Aperture & iPhoto. Various Manfrotto, Portaflash, Battery Grips, SanDisk & Lowepro

alamy: my stock photography (external link)

sponsored links
mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2007 06:45 |  #2

Indoors if you have a white ceiling position the flash head straight up and pull up the white bounce card. Leave the Omnibounce off.

Set the camera to manual mode & meter for the background and then set the flash on ETT-L. If the subject is too light or dark then adjust the FEC. If you're still having problems post a pic here so we can see.
Mike

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 24, 2007 11:02 |  #3

My basic fill flash checklist:
1) Make sure you're using Evaluative rather than Average E-TTL (it's in the custom functions of your camera).
2) FEC somewhere between -1 and 0 depending on conditions (amount of ambient light on subject vs. background).

If you're outdoors:
3) Forget about diffusers and use direct flash. Diffusers won't help and they rob power, which you'll need.
4) Shutter speed can be a major limitation. The way to make it easy is to use Tv mode, starting at 1/200. Use slower speeds if necessary for background exposure. Av mode can cause problems in bright conditions, since 1/200 shutter speed may be too slow for proper ambient exposure at your chosen aperture.
5) Use high speed sync only for its intended purpose - to enable the use of wide apertures to create blurry backgrounds in bright conditions.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Raymate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2007 15:41 |  #4

Thanks guys I shall do some practice pictures.

Is there a way to make the flash just fire and not "talk" to the camera to influence the settings. A friend of mine uses a metz on a Nikon and just dials down the power just to add a bit to the pictures. He shots everything on manual. Cant seem to work out how to do this on my gear.... still very new to the flash game :)

Canon: EOS 5DmkII • 50D • 40D • 350D • 100 f2.8L IS Macro • 70-200 f4L • 24-105 f4L IS • 17-40 f4L • 50 f1.4 • 60 f2.8 Macro • 85 f1.8 • 430EX • 580EX II • ST-E2
Sigma: 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM • 30 f1.4 EX DC HSM • 17-50 f2.8 EX • 24-70 f2.8 EX DG MACRO
Apple: CS3, Aperture & iPhoto. Various Manfrotto, Portaflash, Battery Grips, SanDisk & Lowepro

alamy: my stock photography (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 29, 2007 16:09 |  #5

Raymate wrote in post #3461280 (external link)
Is there a way to make the flash just fire and not "talk" to the camera to influence the settings.

That would be manual flash. But since the required flash power is affected dramatically by distance, it's best used in situations where the flash-to-subject distance does not change.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2007 21:54 |  #6

Curtis N wrote in post #3431229 (external link)
2) FEC somewhere between -1 and 0 depending on conditions (amount of ambient light on subject vs. background).

I didn't think a 430 had FEC. I guess you are assuming a meter is being used and you are on full manual... Correct?

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 05, 2007 22:04 |  #7

bwolford wrote in post #3870182 (external link)
I didn't think a 430 had FEC.

FEC can be adjusted with the camera. If your flash has FEC you can use that instead. Personal preference.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2007 22:46 |  #8

Curtis N wrote in post #3870266 (external link)
FEC can be adjusted with the camera. If your flash has FEC you can use that instead. Personal preference.

Page 95 of the Mark IIN manual: Flash exposure compensation can be set by holding down the [metering mode button] and turning the [quick dial] (as opposed to the main dial which sets metering mode).

Viola. Gotta love it. I can use the camera's FEC to try and control the 430EX and if it doesn't behave well enough, just take it off camera with a short PC to hot shoe adapter sync cord and run it in manual mode. While keeping both out of manual mode...

Gotta love the POTN forums!

Thanks Curtis. I appreciate that. I was searching for exposure compensation in the manual, but the section in flash (later in the manual) says you can do this, but doesn't tell you how (poorly written manual).

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links

1,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on using 430 just to fill in a little on people shots.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.