Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Jun 2007 (Thursday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: It's Fireworks Time (Tips & Techniques)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 04, 2007 22:42 |  #31

azpix wrote in post #3487902 (external link)
The manual says be prepared for noise in the BULB setting. Would this be something you would get with a really long exposue? I did nt see any noise issues with your pics.

I've done star trails as long as 45 minutes. Yes, you get noise and a few hot pixels when you do exposures that long. But I wouldn't worry about it for anything less than a few minutes.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links
Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 05, 2007 09:37 |  #32

I had a BLAST taking fireworks pics yesterday. This year I brought the tripod with me and it made ALL the difference:
Last year:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kadath/18582986​7/ (external link)

That was only one of 100 I took that was even worth sharing.

This year:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kadath/72191917​7/ (external link)

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Damn Tree and flag are still in the way on many shots but the colors and stability are soooo much better.

As I posted in the other thread, I just experimented with the 17-40 and 28-75, ISO 400, Bulb, and about F8 on most.... The remote controller is awesome for this stuff, just sat back and relaxed and varied the exposures to the action. Some came out great, others not so hot but I learned a LOT and it really came down to timing.

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,332 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 05, 2007 10:16 as a reply to  @ Kadath's post |  #33

This was my first try at fireworks and as you can tell I have a lot to learn.

I used my 17-55MM but I wished I had brought the 70-200MM and a tripod...wait till next year.

I did have the best seat in the house for DC...these are from the Lee House at Arlingtron National Cemetery...I love the shot of the airliner flying in front of the fireworks burst.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 05, 2007 12:39 as a reply to  @ JimAskew's post |  #34

Thanks Dan (Woolburr)

I sorta took your advice, shot inside 1/2 mile, at 400, f8 and 2 seconds. Took a while (and lots of chimping) to get the compostion and timing right, but never messed with the exposure. Shot with my 28-75, and wished I'd brought the 17-35 also. But the exposures were almost always great. Some of the cool effects were lost, but it was worth dragging the rig along.

IMAGE: http://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/photos/169803612-O.jpg

This was probably the best of the bunch. but shot over 400 images. Tossed over 30 right away due to poor timing, or smokey images. We had dead still air, so the end of the show was a photogrphic disaster, most of the stuff lost in the smoke. Will sort out the rest tonight. Thanks again

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 05, 2007 12:46 |  #35

KirkHMB wrote in post #3491659 (external link)
Thanks Dan (Woolburr)

I sorta took your advice, shot inside 1/2 mile, at 400, f8 and 2 seconds. Took a while (and lots of chimping) to get the compostion and timing right, but never messed with the exposure. Shot with my 28-75, and wished I'd brought the 17-35 also. But the exposures were almost always great. Some of the cool effects were lost, but it was worth dragging the rig along.

This was probably the best of the bunch. but shot over 400 images. Tossed over 30 right away due to poor timing, or smokey images. We had dead still air, so the end of the show was a photogrphic disaster, most of the stuff lost in the smoke. Will sort out the rest tonight. Thanks again

Glad things worked out for you...I had the exact opposite experience...it was too windy...the shots fell apart quickly as a result of the high winds. I didn't get that many keepers as a result. If you find any that you are really happy with, be sure to share them HERE.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Photonfinder
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 05, 2007 20:10 |  #36

Just a little tip. The absolute most minute jiggle makes the lines wavy adding a very neat affect.

Wise men don't need advice, fools don't take it-- Benjamin Franklin.
David Beaman

E-Dude
167 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 05, 2007 22:09 |  #37

Curtis N wrote in post #3477128 (external link)
9) I had the camera in vertical orientation. The altitude of each shot will vary more than the horizontal location, so this makes composition easier.

I am going to have to remember this one. I am pretty happy with my shots this year, but knowing this - I just think it could be better.

Thanks for the tip.

Ernie (FuzzyLens.net (external link))

7d | 350D | EF 200mm f/2.8L | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Extender EF 1.4x | 430 EX
http://www.pbase.com/h​allerec (external link)

Ross ­ McT.
572 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 06, 2007 13:33 |  #38

cowpix wrote in post #3477304 (external link)
I'm going to be in Calgary on the 4th. I guess I'm out of luck. ;)

Still in Calgary this week?

The Calgary Stampede is on for the next week or so.
Every night there is a 15 minute fireworks display!

I've got to head out there!!

Ross McT.
Digital: 50D, Rebel XT+Grip, EF-S 10-22, 17-85, 18-55, EF 70-300IS,50mm f1.8,
Just trying to master what I have.

Savagebasher
244 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2007 15:16 |  #39

mine from this year:

http://savagebasher.ma​ckycorp.org/Fireworks0​7 (external link)

rolled off 333 shots in 20 minutes, with 144 that were worthy of converting/resizing to jpg in my mind.

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 23, 2008 23:12 |  #40

The season draws near...a couple of additional favorites from last season.
Image 1 EXIF:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1DS
Image Date: 2007:07:04 22:02:59
Focal Length: 153.0mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 2.500 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No

HOSTED PHOTO

Image 2 EXIF:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1DS
Image Date: 2007:07:04 22:02:26
Focal Length: 153.0mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 2.500 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB
Photographer: Dan Houck 8287789393

HOSTED PHOTO

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 24, 2008 15:26 |  #41

In early june I tried my first time getting pics of fireworks. I was just using the 17-55. Problem came up when I put the XTI settings to remote/ delay. Then added a wired remote. Guess what happened. Each time I pressed the remote button there was a 10 second delay.

So I have to photo the fireworks with just the camera button no remote. I used it as a learning experience to learn how to time my shots even though they are a bit shaky.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

cwolf
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 25, 2008 02:29 |  #42

A dumb question: What metering mode should I use? Evaluative, partial, spot? I just got a XSi and want to shoot some fireworks this July 4.

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 25, 2008 05:34 |  #43

cwolf wrote in post #5787622 (external link)
A dumb question: What metering mode should I use? Evaluative, partial, spot? I just got a XSi and want to shoot some fireworks this July 4.

Doesn't matter...you aren't using the meter when shooting fireworks unless you are shooting right up close. The first post offers some additional detail, but start at ISO 100, 2 second exposure @ f/8 to f/11...manual mode.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,885 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 25, 2008 21:58 |  #44

Awesome! Cant wait to try my hand this year! Going to scout the area this weekend and try and find the spot with the best view.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

cwolf
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 26, 2008 02:05 |  #45

ben_r_ wrote in post #5793387 (external link)
Awesome! Cant wait to try my hand this year! Going to scout the area this weekend and try and find the spot with the best view.

Me too! ;)

sponsored links

205,640 views & 42 likes for this thread
It's Fireworks Time (Tips & Techniques)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.