Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Jun 2007 (Saturday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod strap without centre column

simwells
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 30, 2007 17:54 |  #1

I have a Manfrotto 055PROB (Bogen 3021) and generally leave the centre column and head assembly in my camera bag to lighten the weight.

I would like to be able to carry the tripod with a strap (I've got a spare laptop bag one that'll do) But the tripod is designed for the strap to attach to the top attachment piece and the bottom of the centre column... So I'm wondering is there a little attachment of some sort I can add to the tripod to add a strap mount? Or should I just leave the centre column on the tripod even though I rarely use it?

Gear List

sponsored links
gryphonslair99
491 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2007 18:57 |  #2

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Long_Tripod_Car​rying.html (external link)

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.

simwells
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 01, 2007 09:17 |  #3

Ah yeah, I'm thinking I'll get some velcr and a D ring and it'll do exactly the same thing with my existing strap and not cost me any more

Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,860 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 01, 2007 12:56 |  #4

The Manfrotto strap has a lower portion of the strap that is intended to loop around a leg (or all the legs)...the ad that gryphonslair posted mentions that fact. I have that same strap myself, and I keep it round one leg and use a supplementary hook and loop strap to keep the three legs together for transport, so that I do not have to constantly remove that end of the strap and can keep it afixed to a single leg.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 01, 2007 17:20 |  #5

Somewhere I have a strap with velcro closed loops at the ends. Think it was sold as a ski strap. Just wrap one end around the neck, the other around one or three legs, and you're set. I preferred to throw it over my shoulder, so hardly ever used it.

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

Wilt
40,860 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 02, 2007 09:08 |  #6

simwells wrote in post #3465981 (external link)
I have a Manfrotto 055PROB (Bogen 3021) and generally leave the centre column and head assembly in my camera bag to lighten the weight.

I would like to be able to carry the tripod with a strap (I've got a spare laptop bag one that'll do) But the tripod is designed for the strap to attach to the top attachment piece and the bottom of the centre column... So I'm wondering is there a little attachment of some sort I can add to the tripod to add a strap mount? Or should I just leave the centre column on the tripod even though I rarely use it?

I am confused, the 3021 has a threaded hole in the piece that joins the legs and holds the center column. It is positioned above one of the legs. Is that hole elsewhere on the 055ProB? You might take a closeup of the top portion of the tripod and head assembly so we can have a look and see what your issue is.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

simwells
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 02, 2007 12:08 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #3473608 (external link)
I am confused, the 3021 has a threaded hole in the piece that joins the legs and holds the center column. It is positioned above one of the legs. Is that hole elsewhere on the 055ProB? You might take a closeup of the top portion of the tripod and head assembly so we can have a look and see what your issue is.

My issue is not wanting to use the other strap mount at the bottom of the centre column. I'm happy to use the main one on the spider

Gear List

gryphonslair99
491 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2007 12:13 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #3473608 (external link)

At the bottom of the center column there is a revolving slot that is there to hang weight from to add stability to the tripod under windy conditions. I can also be used for a strap.

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.

simwells
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 02, 2007 12:14 |  #9

gryphonslair99 wrote in post #3474468 (external link)
At the bottom of the center column there is a revolving slot that is there to hang weight from to add stability to the tripod under windy conditions. I can also be used for a strap.

Yes I know, but I often don't want to carry the centre column if I can avoid it.

Gear List

Wilt
40,860 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 02, 2007 12:35 |  #10

simwells wrote in post #3474472 (external link)
Yes I know, but I often don't want to carry the centre column if I can avoid it.

So instead of attaching to the bottom of the center column, you take the lower stap and feed it thru the D ring on the end to form a slip loop on the Bogen strap and put it around the end of one (or all three) legs.

simwells
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 02, 2007 13:05 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #3474569 (external link)
So instead of attaching to the bottom of the center column, you take the lower stap and feed it thru the D ring on the end to form a slip loop on the Bogen strap and put it around the end of one (or all three) legs.

I don't have that paticular strap though I was trying to avoid buying one and just using a spare laptop bag strap, I think I'll just buy the proper strap

Gear List

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 02, 2007 13:42 as a reply to  @ simwells's post |  #12

Op-Tech...

http://optechusa.com/p​roduct/detail/?PRODUCT​_ID=50 (external link)

John

sponsored links

2,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod strap without centre column
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.