Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jul 2007 (Thursday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sigma 30mm f1.4 ken rockwell "bad news"

DiscoLizard
Tinkerbell asking for trouble
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 05, 2007 22:01 |  #31

Bad News #8 - It doesn't taste good, even when I cover it with BBQ sauce.

When a dumb kiwi #$ick nicks the ball through the slips,
that's Parore!

sponsored links
Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 06, 2007 01:36 |  #32

Hate to kick old Ken Rockhead, but this is his last workshop which he was one of the instructors. See the shots for your self and read the direct quotes and see if you would listen to any thing he says.
http://www.kenrockwell​.com …007-01-route-66/index.htm (external link)

Now onto the quotes.
1. "My 14mm ultra-ultra wide angle lens lets you see left, right and straight up at the same time."
Wow, he can look in all three directions at once. Bet it makes crossing intersections easy.

2. "The key is to be sufficiently observant to recognize that it's time to shoot"... "I don't need no stinking tripod, even though I always have one in the car. In cases like this I use the Continuous shutter mode and hold the shutter button down long enough to fire several shots. I later select the sharpest. "
OK, so much for waiting and timing things.

3. " I used a tripod for this shot, but didn't need to."
Didn't he just say he don't need no stinkin tripods?

4. "As usual, I had to use my left hand, held up and to the right, to block the sun from shining into the lens. I held my 5D in my right hand."
Versus what, your third arm??? Feet? Tripod?

5. "Image Stabilization (the "IS" in the lens' model name) is great. I could shoot at f/16 to get both the trailer and the motel sign in perfect focus at ISO 50, and hand-hold it at 1/60 of a second. I didn't need to lug around a tripod like many of the others, which would have taken too long to have gotten this shot lined up just right. I hate tripods, except for long night exposures."
Look at the shot he is describing here.

IMAGE: http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2007-01-route-66/images/IMG_1135-henning.jpg

6. "I made this with my 5D camera resting on broken glass on the floor."
Hmmm, maybe a tripod could have helped here.

7. "I think I may have dialed down the contrast on my 5D; I forget."
Need I add more?

8. "I forget how weird I looked."
No argument here.

9. "My camera was on the ground, and I was hunched over trying to peer in the finder unsuccessfully."
Ever heard of an Angle viewfinder adapter???

10. " I remember once in 1992 I was rolling around on the ground along the side of a wet street at night in Austria. I was wearing black."
Appears that Ken may have been on LSD.

11. "There isn't much out in the desert. "

12. "I shouldn't have blown out the white buildings. Sorry, I missed that."

13. "I used DxO Optics Pro software to stretch my fisheye image back to a conventional, flat image. The image from the camera was the usual useless curvy image. "
Wow, fisheyes give a curvy image. Remember, this guy brought along a 14mm on this trip as well.

14. "I'm a sucker for the edge-sucking effects of ultra-wide lenses."

15. "The tiny peephole of my 5D's viewfinder makes it hard to see the entire composition while shooting, so often I don't use the entire frame..."

16. "Position is critical to using ultra wide lenses. You have to force yourself to get dangerously and annoyingly close to your subjects and pay rapt attention to your viewfinder."

17. "The Canon 70-300 IS works great for panning, and I haven't even read the instructions on how to use it. I used it in IS MODE I, and I suspect that I should have used IS MODE II for panning. I don't know, "

18. "My 14rmm lens makes this room look much larger than it is. The restaurant has many other rooms to compensate for this."

19. "Remember that my work is all about color. It's not about detail or form. I see in color; "
Yup, definitely too much LSD.

20. "Since my 5D isn't smart enough to set contrast automatically as my Nikons do, sometimes I forget to check it and make shots with the wrong setting."

21. "My 14mm lens has ghosts, which I eliminated by standing so the sun went behind the pole. In retrospect, even though looking at the sun leads to blindness, ghosts would have added more irony to the photo."
Yes, ken stare at the sun for a few hours or so...

22. "My micro-adjustable Bogen Manfrotto 3275 / 410 geared tripod head would have helped, but I was too lazy to use a tripod and don't have a grid on my 5D's focus screen anyway. "
So much for not needing a tripod.

23. "Ultra wides are fun. Tilt up and everything angles strongly towards Heaven."

24. "when I ate the Baja Fresh quesadilla with steak - it was the best I'd ever had! Not only that, but it was huge. I was full for most of the next week."
Wow apparently, Ken must be cold blooded like a reptile and eats only once a week.

Now, anyone here quoting Ken Rockbrains as a reputable source and not in jest should be banned for life.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

JKSeidel
111 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 06, 2007 02:15 |  #33

I am surprised to see him using a 5D at all. Last I read, he was upset with Canon for not outfitting him with all manner of free equipment (from bodies to lenses) and was refusing to mention Canon except in passing cheap shots. Guess he broke down and bought the 5D on his own. It has been well over a year since I last visited his site or read anything directly by him ... those quotes confirm the wisdom of my choice. Although, the humor factor is an undeniable attraction ... must resist ...

Jeffrey
"Squirrels are just rats with better PR." - Anonymous

goatee
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 06, 2007 02:28 |  #34

wow, when I wrote my first post gently knocking Ken, I didn't realise that there was this swell of emotion waiting to break out! Some classics in there, but as someone else said, it's a shame, because he clearly loves photography, and has a real enthusiasm for it, but he just doesn't deliver.

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

CorruptedPhotographer
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2007 04:36 |  #35

For a long time I was glad he was strictly Nikon because I would not need to read anything about him. Well I guess I can skip his Canon reviews!

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2007 08:00 |  #36

Tee Why wrote in post #3495499 (external link)
Hate to kick old Ken Rockhead, but this is his last workshop which he was one of the instructors. See the shots for your self and read the direct quotes and see if you would listen to any thing he says.
http://www.kenrockwell​.com …007-01-route-66/index.htm (external link)

Now onto the quotes.
2. "The key is to be sufficiently observant to recognize that it's time to shoot"... "I don't need no stinking tripod, even though I always have one in the car. In cases like this I use the Continuous shutter mode and hold the shutter button down long enough to fire several shots. I later select the sharpest. "
OK, so much for waiting and timing things.
12. "I shouldn't have blown out the white buildings. Sorry, I missed that."

13. "I used DxO Optics Pro software to stretch my fisheye image back to a conventional, flat image. The image from the camera was the usual useless curvy image. "
Wow, fisheyes give a curvy image. Remember, this guy brought along a 14mm on this trip as well.

15. "The tiny peephole of my 5D's viewfinder makes it hard to see the entire composition while shooting, so often I don't use the entire frame..."

17. "The Canon 70-300 IS works great for panning, and I haven't even read the instructions on how to use it. I used it in IS MODE I, and I suspect that I should have used IS MODE II for panning. I don't know, "

19. "Remember that my work is all about color. It's not about detail or form. I see in color; "
Yup, definitely too much LSD.

20. "Since my 5D isn't smart enough to set contrast automatically as my Nikons do, sometimes I forget to check it and make shots with the wrong setting."

21. "My 14mm lens has ghosts, which I eliminated by standing so the sun went behind the pole. In retrospect, even though looking at the sun leads to blindness, ghosts would have added more irony to the photo."

TY, Shirley you jest...Those are bonefide quotes?

???

That's sad in a way.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

goatee
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 06, 2007 08:02 |  #37

oh yeah - not forgetting "I don't need no stinking tripod, even though I always have one in the car. In cases like this I use the Continuous shutter mode and hold the shutter button down long enough to fire several shots. I later select the sharpest. This is much easier than hauling around a tripod."

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

brainwerks
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 06, 2007 09:20 as a reply to  @ goatee's post |  #38

After checking his site out. I have to wonder, how does he make so much money?!

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2007 09:25 |  #39

TeeWhy's #5 really should be clear to most.

I think I need to start a website that is the anti KR site. I should call it kenrockwellwithagoatee​altenateuniversewheree​verythingmakessense.co​m

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

jkoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 06, 2007 09:38 |  #40

man i didnt know he is so disliked around here -- do nikon users equally dislike him? - all this bashing is making me feel sorry for the guy

i am an avid photozone.de reader as well as bok atkins and some dude called "lightrules".. i hope the same sentiment doesnt exist for those guys..

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2007 09:39 |  #41

cosworth wrote in post #3496808 (external link)
TeeWhy's #5 really should be clear to most.

I think I need to start a website that is the anti KR site. I should call it kenrockwellwithagoatee​altenateuniversewheree​verythingmakessense.co​m

Why do you need IS or a tripod when the shot's 14mm @ 1/60?:lol:

jkoc wrote in post #3496887 (external link)
man i didnt know he is so disliked around here -- do nikon users equally dislike him? - all this bashing is making me feel sorry for the guy
i am an avid photozone.de reader as well as bok atkins and some dude called "lightrules".. i hope the same sentiment doesnt exist for those guys..

See - the difference there is that the three guys have actual hands on experience with the lenses they mention...Plus - they state the facts and then a dash of opinion, not vice versa

Mike
Gear List

jkoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 06, 2007 10:48 |  #42

Mr. Clean wrote in post #3496890 (external link)
Why do you need IS or a tripod when the shot's 14mm @ 1/60?:lol:

See - the difference there is that the three guys have actual hands on experience with the lenses they mention...Plus - they state the facts and then a dash of opinion, not vice versa

i base my lens purchases from photozone.de heavily as well as SEARCH findings in this forum... i assume the guy on this site is reliable? he seems pretty cool. and its funny cuz some of his sample shots are from dusseldorf where i used to visit that city often work for business:) so far all the lens i bought based on his reviews are bang on in agreement to my real-life use.

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 06, 2007 11:00 |  #43

jkoc wrote in post #3497214 (external link)
i base my lens purchases from photozone.de heavily as well as SEARCH findings in this forum... i assume the guy on this site is reliable? he seems pretty cool. and its funny cuz some of his sample shots are from dusseldorf where i used to visit that city often work for business:) so far all the lens i bought based on his reviews are bang on in agreement to my real-life use.

He is making a conscientious attempt to do a thorough and consistent evaluation of each lens for which he deserves a great deal of credit. He's hampered by the fact that he is dependant on people lending him lenses to test and therefore there's no control over whether he's testing a particularly good or particularly bad example of any particular lens. In addition, it's not a terribly helpful site for those of us using lenses with larger than APS-C sized sensors as he uses a 350D for all of his tests. Like all review sites, you need to read what they have to say and then form your own opinion. None of them can be considered "gospel".

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2007 11:25 |  #44

Cadwell wrote in post #3497281 (external link)
He is making a conscientious attempt to do a thorough and consistent evaluation of each lens for which he deserves a great deal of credit. He's hampered by the fact that he is dependant on people lending him lenses to test and therefore there's no control over whether he's testing a particularly good or particularly bad example of any particular lens. In addition, it's not a terribly helpful site for those of us using lenses with larger than APS-C sized sensors as he uses a 350D for all of his tests. Like all review sites, you need to read what they have to say and then form your own opinion. None of them can be considered "gospel".

This is spot on. Also, photozone.de can get a bum sample in once in a while but at least they spot it and note it in the conclusions. It would be handy to have the same site but have a low performer, high performer, and the average...But that's more measurebating than I'd care to read!

Mike
Gear List

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 06, 2007 11:51 |  #45

jkoc,
Ken is also despised by Nikon folks for being an idiot. Ken is aware that he is called an idiot and states he doesn't mind (as long as his name gets mentioned and he gets visitors to his site, which I assume is how he gets his money). Unfortunately, some newbies will listen to his garbage and then get lost in photography and have some real distorted views. Here are some of them I've read, no RAWs, no color balancing, no processing (although he does it himself), no tripod, no third party stuff.

JK Seidel,
Ken used to be a big Nikon only guy, but appears to have run out of things to gush about as Nikon's releases their stuff very slowly, plus he probably figured that by not reviewing Canon's, that he's missing about 40% of the dslr market.

Mr. Clean,
see the link to the page for yourself, those are real quotes, I kept them long so you can see the context of the quotes. It's truly sad when a pro tries to pan with an IS lens in Mode I and then admits he didn't read the manual and hence doesn't even know if it was the right mode. Remember, he is instructing a workshop here to other poor unfortunate souls that paid about a $700 or so to learn.

Ken is either a real idiot or the worlds smartest man, saying stuff to get people all worked up and drawing attention and hence revenue to his site. Looking at his images, I'm leaning (much like all the poles in his images) to the former.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

sponsored links

29,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
sigma 30mm f1.4 ken rockwell "bad news"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.