Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jul 2007 (Monday) 02:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hiking Half Dome

LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 26, 2009 00:10 |  #31

I've done HD when they've had the cables up and when they haven't. They have a bunch of gloves at the base that you can put on, or you can bring your own. I personally don't think the gloves are necessary. If you're in decent to good shape, you'll be fine. But just don't look down when you're 60% up :lol: Just keep moving forward... :D

DreDaze wrote in post #8524098 (external link)
i hate when people bring up old threads...but how hard was it to hike up there with your 30D, and lens...did you have it in a bag, and just bust it out when you needed it?...i imagine you didn't have it hanging around your neck the whole time...i'm thinking of going next week during the week...right now i'm planning on bringing my 40D, w/10-20mm on it...and then possibly the 28-135mm for any type of shots of people on the top

edit: also i've heard a lot about the cables section...did you have a harness when you did it?...i know you need gloves, but wondering if i need to get a harness of sorts

thanks

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:14 |  #32

LightRules wrote in post #8524148 (external link)
I've done HD when they've had the cables up and when they haven't. They have a bunch of gloves at the base that you can put on, or you can bring your own. I personally don't think the gloves are necessary. If you're in decent to good shape, you'll be fine. But just don't look down when you're 60% up :lol: Just keep moving forward... :D

yeah i'll probably just buy some gloves, and turn them into work gloves(i'm a carpenter)...from what i'm getting from other friends that have done it is it's not that bad if you're in shape...which i am...should be good on the heights thing too

thanks for the tips, even though i'm going against what you suggested to the o.p. a year ago..:lol:

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
18,381 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:16 |  #33

Jeff81 wrote in post #8524139 (external link)
I didn't do half dome but this may help...I just day hiked Mt. Whitney and I took a 5D with 24-105. I carried it in a lowepro bag with a chest harness. It worked well. I could grab the camera whenever I saw a good shot. It worked well.

so like a small bag that strapped to your chest?...that you could just unzip and take the camera out?...i don't really plan on swapping lenses until the top so that would work for me

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2009 00:21 |  #34

DreDaze wrote in post #8524164 (external link)
so like a small bag that strapped to your chest?...that you could just unzip and take the camera out?...i don't really plan on swapping lenses until the top so that would work for me

Exactly. It worked out really well. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.amazon.com …s-Stability/dp/B00009R8B​D (external link).

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 26, 2009 00:29 |  #35

DreDaze wrote in post #8524158 (external link)
yeah i'll probably just buy some gloves, and turn them into work gloves(i'm a carpenter)...from what i'm getting from other friends that have done it is it's not that bad if you're in shape...which i am...should be good on the heights thing too

thanks for the tips, even though i'm going against what you suggested to the o.p. a year ago..:lol:

If you do HD leaving from Upper Pines or Lower Pines or that vicinity, it's a good 13 hour round tripper. We've always done it in one day's time, usually heading out of Happy Isles trailhead around 6am and getting back to campsite around 7pm (give or take). This includes about a 1 hour stop at the top for pictures, food, water, and rest-up. One time I got up to the top, I ate 5 Clif Bars in about 5 minutes :D Man those calories felt good.

But whatever you bring, if you are taking the DSLR and something wide, you'll need the pack to be able to carry a good amount of water too. So my recommendation is to be about 6'6", 240 pounds of pure lean muscle, and a nice big pack with everything in it. Then you'll be fine. :lol:

One more thing: I'd really recommend you take some second-skin or other good blister-aid as it's a good hike up and down and those things can be a life-saver.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:44 |  #36

DreDaze wrote in post #8524098 (external link)
i hate when people bring up old threads...but how hard was it to hike up there with your 30D, and lens...did you have it in a bag, and just bust it out when you needed it?...i imagine you didn't have it hanging around your neck the whole time...i'm thinking of going next week during the week...right now i'm planning on bringing my 40D, w/10-20mm on it...and then possibly the 28-135mm for any type of shots of people on the top

edit: also i've heard a lot about the cables section...did you have a harness when you did it?...i know you need gloves, but wondering if i need to get a harness of sorts

thanks

I brought the 30D, no grip with my 24-70L in a Tamrac Adventure 9. I had the camera and some granola bars in the camera compartment, and in the larger storage section, I brought a gallon of water. It was kinda scary, but thank God there were no water leaks. A chest-pack could work too...but I wanted a backpack that could hold my food and water. I had my other friends take more food for me. If you go with a backpack, get one with a waist-strap or else you'll hate it the whole 16 miles. I started at around 7:30AM, spent a good hour or so at the top, and got back down by 5:30PM or so.

Good luck! I wasn't in the best of shape when I went, but I'm still young so I shouldn't be talking =P. There were little 5 year olds steaming past me and my friends though.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:46 |  #37

LightRules wrote in post #8524206 (external link)
One more thing: I'd really recommend you take some second-skin or other good blister-aid as it's a good hike up and down and those things can be a life-saver.

I second this. The thing that hurt the most even a few days after the hike was not my legs or back, but my feet. Invest in some good hiking boots and some comfortable socks if you don't already have some.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

DreDaze
18,381 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:52 |  #38

Jeff81 wrote in post #8524177 (external link)
Exactly. It worked out really well. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.amazon.com …s-Stability/dp/B00009R8B​D (external link).

thanks for the link...looks good, just ordered it, and the toploader zoom1...and if i ever get bold enough to trust myself with my 40D on the slopes i think the harness could work there too...but i think i'll stick with taking pictures with my P&S for now while boarding

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
18,381 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 00:57 |  #39

yeah that's why i went with the chest strap that jeff suggested...i figure i can put all my water/food in a backpack...and still have the camera in front of me...yeah i might look like a weirdo...but hopefully since i'm going on a tuesday nobody else will be there...:lol:

thanks again everyone

LightRules wrote in post #8524206 (external link)
If you do HD leaving from Upper Pines or Lower Pines or that vicinity, it's a good 13 hour round tripper. We've always done it in one day's time, usually heading out of Happy Isles trailhead around 6am and getting back to campsite around 7pm (give or take). This includes about a 1 hour stop at the top for pictures, food, water, and rest-up. One time I got up to the top, I ate 5 Clif Bars in about 5 minutes :D Man those calories felt good.

But whatever you bring, if you are taking the DSLR and something wide, you'll need the pack to be able to carry a good amount of water too. So my recommendation is to be about 6'6", 240 pounds of pure lean muscle, and a nice big pack with everything in it. Then you'll be fine. :lol:

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hiking Half Dome
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.