Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2007 (Monday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D colors too artificial?

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 09, 2007 12:59 |  #1

Does anyone else feel that 5D's colors are bit too strong?

Compare to the 5D.. 30D's colors felt so much more neutral..

It does make the portrait picture more pretty and all.., but sometimes I wish it was more like 30D..

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,689 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jul 09, 2007 13:09 |  #2

I don't see that at all. Are you comparing similar subjects with the same parameters (for JPGs that would be sharpening, contrast, saturation or picture styles) or are you comparing RAW files out of both cameras with no post processing applied? Unless you care comparing apples to apples it's hard to say that you have a legitimate complaint.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2007 13:09 |  #3

except for red, I loved the richness of 5D's colors (especially for landscapes, flowers and portraits), imo, that's what really sets it's shots apart from the other cameras (not talking about IQ...because that's fabulous too...just the vividness of the colors)....it's taking me a while to get used to the more neutral colors of the MKIII.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 09, 2007 13:09 |  #4

Why not go into the picture style section of the menus and adjust the color saturation to your liking?

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 09, 2007 13:21 |  #5

Pasukun wrote in post #3513190 (external link)
Does anyone else feel that 5D's colors are bit too strong?

No. Its color rendition is much better than the 30D.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,736 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 09, 2007 13:48 as a reply to  @ RikWriter's post |  #6

Picture style used?? I find Neutral or Faithful to be pretty good myself. The 5D seems more accurate then many other cameras IMO. Don't ever look at the defaults of an Olympus or Nikon;):lol:

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 09, 2007 13:51 |  #7

Shooting RAW I'm not sure the colours could be any better, nor more neutral. So much depends on white balance and exposure.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 09, 2007 14:44 |  #8

Yes I was shooting at the same subjects and the backgrounds.
For an example, I shoot around my house indoor and outdoor all the time, so I have well developed sense of colors and the expectation for them in a such a familiar surrounding.
The difference in two bodies were strong enough for me to tell right away.
And I do not use any other picture style other than the Standard mode with 4,0,0,0 setting. (exactly same as it was with 30D)
I checked and rechecked to make sure that no other settings were effecting the result.

While I like the result the 5D gives (every shot looks artsy).. I can not shake off the feeling that the color rendition is too crafted..

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

davesrose
3,736 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 09, 2007 15:00 |  #9

Pasukun wrote in post #3513736 (external link)
And I do not use any other picture style other than the Standard mode with 4,0,0,0 setting. (exactly same as it was with 30D)
I checked and rechecked to make sure that no other settings were effecting the result.

While I like the result the 5D gives (every shot looks artsy).. I can not shake off the feeling that the color rendition is too crafted..

I don't understand why you don't try out neutral or faithful picture styles if you're looking to get less saturated colors out of unprocessed jpegs.:confused: Every camera is going to have a slight color difference. The good thing with digital cameras, though, is that they let you adjust the color right in the camera. They have those controls in there so that you can adjust the colors the way you want to. Why don't you try creating your own color profile?

I like to think of myself as being fairly sensitive to colors (former art major and do paint some portraits occasionally). One of the reasons why I picked Canon was that it seemed easier to tweak the image to be less "poppy" and more natural. Seems that people just like oversaturation these days.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 09, 2007 15:02 |  #10

I have both 5D and the 30D. Maybe it is because I started with the 5D first before ever using a 30D but I find I reach for the 5D first unless I need the extra reach the 1.6 crop factor gives me. I seem to be swayed by the rich colors the 5D gives.
Just yesterday I had both bodies out while shooting a colorful range of plumeria flowers and I noticed if I wanted to use the lens attached to my 30D I'd take the time to put in on my 5D for the shot. Even with both bodies set to the same config.; standard, AWB, iso, shutter, etc. I tend to be 'wow'd' a bit more by the colors the 5D gives me.
Of course, it is all personal preference...and I'm not saying I'm disappointed by the 30D so much as I'm just so impressed by the 5D.

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 09, 2007 15:19 |  #11

Standard picture style (for skin tones) on my 5D is more saturated than Standard on my 10D. Neutral on the 5D is just perfect for skin tones (my pref.). It pays to experiment with the picture styles. I find I like a particular one for certain photos but neutral is the one I use most.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2007 15:20 |  #12

Nope.
I shoot jpegs though.
I have owned the 30d and now 5d never saw that description though.

1D Mark III / 100-400 L Version II
430ex II

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 09, 2007 15:24 |  #13

davesrose wrote in post #3513830 (external link)
I don't understand why you don't try out neutral or faithful picture styles if you're looking to get less saturated colors out of unprocessed jpegs.:confused: Every camera is going to have a slight color difference. The good thing with digital cameras, though, is that they let you adjust the color right in the camera. They have those controls in there so that you can adjust the colors the way you want to. Why don't you try creating your own color profile?

I like to think of myself as being fairly sensitive to colors (former art major and do paint some portraits occasionally). One of the reasons why I picked Canon was that it seemed easier to tweak the image to be less "poppy" and more natural. Seems that people just like oversaturation these days.

I do not shoot jpeg, but only the RAW.
So the picture style is not really that important as I can change later on with DPP.
Also more saturated or not.. I favor a true color. (unless I want a strong impression)
Even with the neutral or faithful picture style.. it does not tone down the crafted feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to complain. Nor am I trying to find a perfect camera. I understand that ALL cameras have a pros and cons.
I just wanted to know how others felt when they upgraded from 30D(or any other) to 5D.

As far as I see.. this is a minor issue that I can live with.
And if I really want the result like the 30D.. I will just simply buy 30D as a 2nd body.

My Gears

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2007 15:36 |  #14

Pasukun wrote in post #3513967 (external link)
So the picture style is not really that important as I can change later on with DPP.
Also more saturated or not.. I favor a true color. (unless I want a strong impression)
Even with the neutral or faithful picture style.. it does not tone down the crafted feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to complain. Nor am I trying to find a perfect camera. I understand that ALL cameras have a pros and cons.
I just wanted to know how others felt when they upgraded from 30D(or any other) to 5D.

As far as I see.. this is a minor issue that I can live with.
And if I really want the result like the 30D.. I will just simply buy 30D as a 2nd body.

I shoot only raw as well...the 5D's shots are warmer than my 30D's (and the mkIII's...here's a post I just did yesterday, comparing straight out of the camera shots with the MKIII and the 5D from a month previous...not a scientific comparison because I no longer have the 5D but the difference in the color renditions is noticable https://photography-on-the.net …p=3508244&postc​ount=56546 ) , if you are using the AWB, I might suggest getting a gray card or something...it will make the colors more true...but otherwise, the 5D's just seem "richer" to me as well.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

davesrose
3,736 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 09, 2007 16:02 |  #15

Pasukun wrote in post #3513967 (external link)

I guess it depends on how you open up a RAW as well: if it's keeping all the original exposure settings. Setting your own color profile might save you some PP....but of course getting the best colors and exposure always means PP. I find exposure settings really change a picture's contrast and saturation: more then color styles IMO. My workflow is to open up RAWs in Photoshop's Camera Raw. If my photo is exposed the way I want it, I'll just adjust the exposure and shadows.....if it isn't, then imposing a few different exposures (giving less saturation to layers that have more contrast).

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

2,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D colors too artificial?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.