Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sage teachings of Ken Rockwell

this thread is locked
Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 10, 2007 00:47 |  #1

I did it for his Route 66, since I had fun quoting him for Ken Rockwell followers to read, I thought I'd do it again with his Death Valley "Teaching" Gallery.
Here is the link to the pages, so you can see I'm not making up the quotes.

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/dv/2007/index.htm (external link)

1. "I'm using a full-frame digital camera (external link), so my 14mm lens is equivalent to 14mm."
So, no crop factor in a non cropped sensor camera. Got it.

2. "
My 14mm ultra-ultra wide angle lens makes the sand look like you're right on top of it, because you are."
I thought Ken can float on air and walk on water?

3. "
If I wasn't' so lazy I would have 'shopped down the brightness of the upper right corner. I may have turned up the contrast on my 5D to bring out the texture; I forget."
???

4. "
I exposed deliberately for the orange-lit hill on the upper left. I had to use manual exposure mode because my 5D only allowed -2 stops of exposure compensation, which wasn't enough."
Apparently, Ken has not discovered the spot metering in the 5D

5. "
Mushroom Rock has been cleansed from today's Death Valley maps. Apparently many stupider people didn't understand that its name refers to its shape, not its composition."
Yes, that's what he wrote.

6. "
I'm an idiot: I used ISO 100 instead of ISO 50." "Canons don't have Auto ISO, so after I bumped up ISO for the previous shot in the shade, I forgot to pull the ISO back down to ISO 50."
Gasp, and his images turned out??? Such noise at ISO 100 compared to the 50. Maybe Ken has Alzheimers.

7. "
These indoor and night shots are hand-held. Tripods are for the weak. I stack the odds in my favor by firing bursts of several shots in the Continuous shutter mode and sorting out the sharpest later..."
Nothing like a little spray and pray heh?

8. "The low magnification of an ultra-ultra wide 14mm lens allows longer speeds than a normal lens."
Since when does the magnification ratio determine exposure?

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

sponsored links
Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 10, 2007 01:04 |  #2

I really like Nos. 7 and 8:

7. Tripods are for the weak - and Kenny is for the weak-minded. Jeez what an idiot - basically all the successful landscape photog's use and highly recommend a tripod, but Kenny boy is so good he doesn't need one.

8. What the H is a longer speed? 80 miles per hour? 90? This guy is a total winky.

But my favourite on his site is the PLUG where he begs for money. Good photographers can actually make a living - apparently he can't and has to rely on donations.:cool:

On the other hand, it it wasn't for K-Boy, photography wouldn't be funny.:lol:

I think what the poor booger doesn't know is that everyone that reads him is having a good laugh at his expense (he's too dumb to realize it).

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Tee ­ Why
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 10, 2007 01:28 |  #3

You mean "stupider"?

ghms421
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2007 01:32 |  #4

What does KR do for a living? He obviously doesn't support his family off his website, so either he has a job I don't know about, or money magically appears for him.

EDIT: I hate him even more, he got the new velvia already!

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 10, 2007 01:34 |  #5

Sometimes I think there's nothing more to say about him.. but the guy never shots up... and so we must all go on..personally.. this is the only thing that I completely agree with...

6. "I'm an idiot

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 10, 2007 01:35 |  #6

ghms421 wrote in post #3516844 (external link)
What does KR do for a living? He obviously doesn't support his family off his website, so either he has a job I don't know about, or money magically appears for him.

EDIT: I hate him even more, he got the new velvia already!

who the heck knows?.. I wouldn't be suprised to drive up and hear..

'My name is Ken may I take your order'...

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

Moppie
14,837 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 10, 2007 01:48 |  #7

ghms421 wrote in post #3516844 (external link)
What does KR do for a living?

He writes crap and drival on his website so people can visit it to laugh at him.
He then uses the huge visitor numbers it generates to sell advertising. :rolleyes:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,320 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 10, 2007 08:04 |  #8

The odd thing is.... he is right on item 8. For my remote cameras I setup under the hoops for basketball games where I am using an ultrawide, I am able to use much slower shutter speeds then I do with longer lenses. I learned this by accident when using an f4 lens and was forced to use much long shutter speeds then I normally do, and found the shots came out just fine with little to no motion blur. Lens magnification impacts shutter speed needed to freeze action as does direction of travel.

This doesnt' take away anything from the fact that he is less then elloquent in what he says, but sometimes he is accidently right.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Cubix ­ Rube
548 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 10, 2007 16:08 |  #9

"The ultra-ultra wide angle lens also is responsible for the sucking effect that draws your eyes into the image from the bottom." - Another quote from Ken about his 14 mm lens.

I'm not sure how correct he is about what's causing the "sucking effect" in his pictures...Maybe it's his friggin' shadow intruding most of the way into the shot??

Upside the head...A place where nothing good ever happens.
My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery, (external link)Smugmug site (external link)

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 10, 2007 16:27 |  #10

Croasdail wrote in post #3517881 (external link)
The odd thing is.... he is right on item 8. For my remote cameras I setup under the hoops for basketball games where I am using an ultrawide, I am able to use much slower shutter speeds then I do with longer lenses. I learned this by accident when using an f4 lens and was forced to use much long shutter speeds then I normally do, and found the shots came out just fine with little to no motion blur. Lens magnification impacts shutter speed needed to freeze action as does direction of travel.

This doesnt' take away anything from the fact that he is less then elloquent in what he says, but sometimes he is accidently right.

I think what the OP is getting at is that magnification factor means nothing and has nothing to do with focal length. It's true, the shorter the lens is (focal length) the slower shutter speed you can use handheld, but the magification factor of the lens means nothing.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 10, 2007 18:05 |  #11

deadpass wrote in post #3520677 (external link)
I think what the OP is getting at is that magnification factor means nothing and has nothing to do with focal length. It's true, the shorter the lens is (focal length) the slower shutter speed you can use handheld, but the magification factor of the lens means nothing.

Magnification factor does mean something. It's the same thing as reproduction ratio. The smaller your reproduction ratio, the less prone to motion blur you are. A 50mm lens at infinity is far less prone to motion blur than a 50mm lens at 1:1 macro. I'd hazard a guess that those of you who use mirror lockup use it much more commonly for macro shots than landscape shots.

He was being a little imprecise about any synonymity between focal length and reproduction ratio. After all, you can have a 1:1 macro picture using a 14mm lens -- ignoring a retrofocus design, a 14mm lens plus a 14mm extension tube will allow you 1:1 macro from 28mm away (using the 1/OD = 1/FL - 1/FD equation).

But in practical terms, you're normally operating with a very low reproduction ratio when shooting with a wide angle lens.

I don't have any particular grievance with anything else that was quoted above. He can be very tongue in cheek, and no there is no such word as "stupider" unless you're President of the United States.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 10, 2007 18:21 as a reply to  @ DrPablo's post |  #12

Although I found his quotes humorous, I think some of the pics he had up there were actually rather nice.

He may be a bumbling fool, but is it possible that he is actually pretty decent at what he does?

So a guy put up a few crappy photos...I've got a boat load of them on my PC.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2007 20:30 |  #13

4,6 and 7 are wrongheaded, but the rest is either correct (if you stay out of sematic / precise language arguments) or it's just blather.

4 shows a surprising lack of knowledge in how to use an automatic metering camera. If he wanted to meter the hill why ddin't he just point his spot meter at it and lock?

6....well, I doubt too many folks can spot the difference between 50 and 100 on the 5D.

7. Bad advice. When you need a tripod use it.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

the_incubus
my head exploded
3,456 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 10, 2007 21:46 |  #14

"These indoor and night shots are hand-held. Tripods are for the weak. I stack the odds in my favor by firing bursts of several shots in the Continuous shutter mode and sorting out the sharpest later..."

hmm... ???

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/Images/jpg/kr320.​jpg (external link)

And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.
My Gear

Tee ­ Why
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 11, 2007 00:07 |  #15

the_incubus wrote in post #3522225 (external link)
"These indoor and night shots are hand-held. Tripods are for the weak. I stack the odds in my favor by firing bursts of several shots in the Continuous shutter mode and sorting out the sharpest later..."

hmm... ???

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/Images/jpg/kr320.​jpg (external link)

No, that's a monopod, he only uses it on his left handed Nikon built just for him by Nikon. He wouldn't reverse the photo and not expect photogs to realize that he is shooing a left handed slr now, would he?

sponsored links

76,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sage teachings of Ken Rockwell
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.