Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rip off britain

steunited
187 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 10, 2007 08:47 |  #1

why are lenses almost twice the price in the uk as they are in america.
people on fred miranda website say they bought their sigma 50-500 for $800(around £400) but its £750 in rip off britain.

5D classic,60D, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L ,canon 70-200 2.8L,tamron 150-600,canon 100mm macro,speedlite 430 ex,lowepro minitrekker

sponsored links
PaulDB
390 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 10, 2007 08:57 |  #2

I know what you mean. Everything is overpriced here, not just lenses. You might want to PM 'kerso' on the forums here. He can help you out. He hooked me up with a 100-400L for about £300 less than retail and it was shipped to me perfectly packaged within 2 days of me paying him.

Do a quick search on his name and you will see countless good feedback and as far as I am aware, no negative.

Canon EOS 30D
100mm F2.8 Macro | 17-40 F4L | 100-400 F4-5.6L IS| 18-55 Kit | 580ex
Work in Progress: http://www.photos.bick​erd.com (external link)

Kristian
527 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2007 09:02 |  #3

The prices are high in most european countries, it's not only britain. The Bigma costs 750gbp in Denmark as well. Some danes prefer to buy equipment in german webshops because of the prices being a little lower down there.

http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/22782659@N0​3 (external link)

Col_M
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 10, 2007 09:04 |  #4

The main reasons are taxes, strong pound/weaker dollar, business costs (petrol prices - higher, minimum wage is higher in the UK) and companies knowing that you can get away with charging more.

Go on a holiday to the US :) the money you save will cover a good amount of the cost of the holiday ;) Or like has been said ask Kerso :)

Col (short for Colin)

5D+Grip¦24-70L¦50 1.4¦100 2.8 Macro¦Sigma 70-200 EX DG¦430EX

SHULTSIE!!!
"Stonehenge wasn't too impressive"
3,964 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2007 09:11 |  #5

Make friends with an American that lives out there... preferebly military... I was stationed out of RAF Mildenhall, outside of Cambridge. Def worked out for me & my neighbor since I had a PO Box on the base... just a thought though...

Justin
My Gear
My 15 minutes of fame... (external link)

grimreaper
555 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 10, 2007 09:24 |  #6

just looked on bhphoto and for the 3 lenses im lookin at getting it works out 600 pound cheaper, roughly a third, joke

:D Any Photo is better than none:D
All the best, James.

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 10, 2007 09:26 |  #7

My husband's family is in London and they are getting dollars now for their trip over here in October (US) - as the exchange rate is good right now.

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

dputz
189 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 10, 2007 09:29 as a reply to  @ Mum2J&M's post |  #8

Go to Brazil, stuff is twice as expensive there than UK. :/

--Dan Putz - The Slate (external link)
dputz Photo Equipment Roster
...going broke for the sake of art...
--==SALE PENDING: 300 f4==--

grimreaper
555 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 10, 2007 09:33 |  #9

just done a quick search and i could get a return flight to new york buy my lenses and have 60 pounds left over

:D Any Photo is better than none:D
All the best, James.

SHULTSIE!!!
"Stonehenge wasn't too impressive"
3,964 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2007 09:34 |  #10

grimreaper wrote in post #3518298 (external link)
just done a quick search and i could get a return flight to new york buy my lenses and have 60 pounds left over

Nice...

Justin
My Gear
My 15 minutes of fame... (external link)

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 10, 2007 09:36 |  #11

yep! a lot of discount airlines are flying from the london area into nyc these days. just make sure to hide the materials, you don't want to get dinged by customs on the way back in (though you still avoid some tax if you do get nicked).

grimreaper wrote in post #3518298 (external link)

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 10, 2007 09:36 |  #12

I know a few fly out to Hong Kong, buy there equipment and save a fortune
Certainly tempting for sure to fly out

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 10, 2007 09:37 |  #13

minhi wrote in post #3518313 (external link)
yep! a lot of discount airlines are flying from the london area into nyc these days. just make sure to hide the materials, you don't want to get dinged by customs on the way back in (though you still avoid some tax if you do get nicked).

if you are buying it for you, just open it, etc. use it :)

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

Vulcan58
Goldmember
1,789 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 10, 2007 09:47 |  #14

PaulDB wrote in post #3518113 (external link)
I know what you mean. Everything is overpriced here, not just lenses. You might want to PM 'kerso' on the forums here. He can help you out. He hooked me up with a 100-400L for about £300 less than retail and it was shipped to me perfectly packaged within 2 days of me paying him.

Do a quick search on his name and you will see countless good feedback and as far as I am aware, no negative.

I'm surprised you didn't have to pay Customs Duty on it PaulDB

PaulDB
390 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 11, 2007 11:50 |  #15

He (kerso) gets the lenses shipped from the US to himself then ships them out to buyers so there is no chance of customs. I believe he keeps quite a stock of the more popular lenses so delivery from him can be very quick.

Vulcan58 wrote in post #3518373 (external link)
I'm surprised you didn't have to pay Customs Duty on it PaulDB

Canon EOS 30D
100mm F2.8 Macro | 17-40 F4L | 100-400 F4-5.6L IS| 18-55 Kit | 580ex
Work in Progress: http://www.photos.bick​erd.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
rip off britain
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.