Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jul 2007 (Saturday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why hasn't Canon made this lens?

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 18:02 |  #1

EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Super-UD Glass
Aspherical Lenses
3-4 Stops IS
Full Time Manual Focus
Minimum Focus Range of 20” or Less
$1000

I'm no mathematician and don't know if it is even possible to create such a lens, but it could be close to this; say 18-105 or 18-120 or whatever. After using Nikon's 18-200 VR I have been trying to find something similar for Canon's with no luck. The 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM comes darn close, but -10mm, 5 ½ pounds, a minimum focus distance of 2.3 feet and costing $2200 is just too much of a compromise – it simply wasn't made for cropped sensors. Sigma's 18-200 OS would have been perfect, but the 6.3 aperture and so-so IQ again just doesn't match what I want. The Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM doesn't have a far enough zoom, IQ is lacking on the low/high end, allot of distortion at the low end and noticeable pincushion effect and I don't like the build quality – all apparent in its low cost. I know everything has compromises, but Canon doesn't seem to really take cropped bodies very seriously thus their lack of EF-S L lenses. I guess I have to buy a 5D to get Canon's better lenses. :(

I didn't want to like the Nikon lens, but with 3+ stops VR (with proper holding techniques I've gone lower) and all the right compromises it was a loosing battle.

Sorry, rant over.

sponsored links
scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 18:15 |  #2

i always though that the more "all encompassing" focal length a lens has, the IQ will sufffer as a side effect, just look @ all the complaints about the 24-105L. I've never seen any unprocessed shots from that nikon lens though, so I couldn't say for sure.

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

Layston
726 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 14, 2007 18:50 |  #3

Sigma now has the 18-200 OS for Canon (brand new to the market), and Canon has the 17-55 and 17-85 - all three have image stabilization. Canon also has the 28-135 (obviously) with IS. Sigma also has an 18-125 non IS. All of these lenses except the 28-135 are for "crop only" bodies. The 24-105 is for full frame and is a much better piece of glass than all the others listed.

I think in the end Canon has made the decision not to make a "consumer" hyperzoom. The closest that they have is the 28-200 which I almost never hear anyone talk about. I think Canon has decided that the third parties can tackle that portion of the market and that they will stick with making other glass - just my opinion, it's worth absolutely zero :)

GEAR LIST

pagnamenta
787 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 14, 2007 18:58 |  #4

I've never really felt the need for a hyperzoom zoom. The IQ suffers too much for the convenience of an all in one zoom. I've never liked something designed to tackle multiple purposes. Have you tried the Canon 28-135 IS USM? If that's not long enough for you, can you use foot zoom? If it's not wide enough you can always use the 18-55 kit lens or a 17-50mm range lens.

Canon 1D3, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sale), 1.4x converter, 580EX.

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 18:59 |  #5

buy some prime lenses and foot zoom is included free!

- Tim
GEARandFEEDBACK

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 14, 2007 19:06 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

There's no single lens that will do it all. Most people on this forum have, at minimum, a two lens combo to cover the distance between 17mm and 200mm. The whole rationale for buying a DSLR is to be able to change lenses for the particular job one is trying to accomplish.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 19:08 |  #7

scot079 wrote in post #3545013 (external link)
i always though that the more "all encompassing" focal length a lens has, the IQ will sufffer as a side effect, just look @ all the complaints about the 24-105L. I've never seen any unprocessed shots from that nikon lens though, so I couldn't say for sure.

Oh, there are tons of compromises in the Nikon lens – but they seemed to make just the right ones such as sacrificing bokeh for more sharpness. I went out in the back yard just now to take a picture with the 18-200 VR; had to practically crawl up to him to take the photos. The first picture at 1/125 would have been hard without IS the second very difficult w/o IS at 1/60. (Nikon's are really soft at their default settings so I leave sharpening cranked up to medium-high).

Nikon D200
200mm, 1/125, ISO 400, Vivid, & Bibble default settings

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …v136/jlozan87/l​izbody.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

100% Crop

http://img.photobucket​.com …v136/jlozan87/l​izhead.jpg (external link)

Nikon D200
200mm, 1/60, ISO 400, Vivid, Medium-High Sharp & Bibble default settings

http://img.photobucket​.com …136/jlozan87/li​zbody2.jpg (external link)

100% Crop

http://img.photobucket​.com …136/jlozan87/li​zhead2.jpg (external link)

mcminty
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 14, 2007 19:08 |  #8

just look @ all the complaints about the 24-105L.

:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with mine...

Andrew || Flickr! (external link) | 365 Days Project (external link)

40D | 350D || EF 24-105mm 4L IS | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 70-200mm 2.8L | 430EX

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 19:22 |  #9

Layston wrote in post #3545136 (external link)
I think Canon has decided that the third parties can tackle that portion of the market and that they will stick with making other glass - just my opinion, it's worth absolutely zero

It would seem so :(

pagnamenta wrote in post #3545165 (external link)
I've never really felt the need for a hyperzoom zoom. The IQ suffers too much for the convenience of an all in one zoom. I've never liked something designed to tackle multiple purposes. Have you tried the Canon 28-135 IS USM? If that's not long enough for you, can you use foot zoom? If it's not wide enough you can always use the 18-55 kit lens or a 17-50mm range lens.

I've been looking at that one a lot – but I just can't get passed the 28mm end and I believe it has the older IS 1-2 stops compensation (correct me if I'm wrong).

scot079 wrote in post #3545170 (external link)

Works well until you run over some poor kid (yes, I've done it more than once). But mostly, I find myself changing shooting areas constantly and changing lenses often really puts me off. I have to clean my sensor once a month (really dusty here!).

liza wrote in post #3545199 (external link)
There's no single lens that will do it all. Most people on this forum have, at minimum, a two lens combo to cover the distance between 17mm and 200mm. The whole rationale for buying a DSLR is to be able to change lenses for the particular job one is trying to accomplish.

Totally agree. However, I am willing to sacrifice some IQ for a 'vacation' lens any day :) My Tamron has better IQ vs the Nikon in the same range but with the VR the Nikon is just better for me :(

Most of the time I find myself in the 24-105 range (35mm equiv) and there is just nothing 'good' in that sweet spot that I believe most of the regular photog's find themselves.

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 19:30 |  #10

mcminty wrote in post #3545204 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with mine...

yeah look again, yours is the worst of all!;)

- Tim
GEARandFEEDBACK

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 15, 2007 11:45 |  #11

scot079 wrote in post #3545170 (external link)

Foot zoom is a myth because it changes the relationship between the subject the background. In most photographs you choose the camera location for composition and then match the focal length of the lens to frame the picture. Zoom just helps in the selection of focal length unless you have time and a good selection of prime lenses.

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,886 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 15, 2007 11:56 |  #12

ScottE wrote in post #3548488 (external link)
Foot zoom is a myth because it changes the relationship between the subject the background. In most photographs you choose the camera location for composition and then match the focal length of the lens to frame the picture. Zoom just helps in the selection of focal length unless you have time and a good selection of prime lenses.

I would also like to see someone trying to "foot zoom" in on the grand canyon, well perhaps not. :)

WMS

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2007 12:17 |  #13

Could you direct me to all the complaints on the 24/105?:confused:

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 15, 2007 12:23 |  #14

MaxxuM wrote in post #3545202 (external link)
Oh, there are tons of compromises in the Nikon lens – but they seemed to make just the right ones such as sacrificing bokeh for more sharpness. I went out in the back yard just now to take a picture with the 18-200 VR; had to practically crawl up to him to take the photos. The first picture at 1/125 would have been hard without IS the second very difficult w/o IS at 1/60. (Nikon's are really soft at their default settings so I leave sharpening cranked up to medium-high).

Nikon D200
200mm, 1/125, ISO 400, Vivid, & Bibble default settings
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://img.photobucket​.com …v136/jlozan87/l​izbody.jpg (external link)

100% Crop

http://img.photobucket​.com …v136/jlozan87/l​izhead.jpg (external link)

Nikon D200
200mm, 1/60, ISO 400, Vivid, Medium-High Sharp & Bibble default settings

http://img.photobucket​.com …136/jlozan87/li​zbody2.jpg (external link)

100% Crop

http://img.photobucket​.com …136/jlozan87/li​zhead2.jpg (external link)

Those crops look like crap to me. I don't think you can blame the Nikon body for the lack of sharpness here.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 15, 2007 12:54 |  #15

cdifoto wrote in post #3548661 (external link)
Those crops look like crap to me. I don't think you can blame the Nikon body for the lack of sharpness here.

Ditto. Not all that impressive. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Compromises, indeed.

I'm fine with the fact that Canon hasn't made a consumer hyperzoom SLR lens. If I wanted that, I'd get a P&S.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links

3,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why hasn't Canon made this lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.