Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 15 Jul 2007 (Sunday) 03:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE: Serious Photography Thread

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
21,153 posts
Gallery: 131 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 13, 2008 19:42 as a reply to  @ post 5904351 |  #2611

2 more

1# 17mm
2# 70mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://tonysearle.co.​nz (external link)

sponsored links
S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2008 20:21 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #2612

of the 3, the 17mm curved one is the best because of the balance of lines & shadow - but the colours don't really 'pop' in any of them (too much blue glare?) and imo the exposures could be fiddled a little... the foregrounds are a little empty/uniform, and the subject matter isn't 'wow'... they are more like (long) tourist snaps

sorry to rain on your parade - they are nicely stiched, specially the ripples one...

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 14, 2008 01:54 |  #2613

There's a certain tranquility to that last one there Tony. It pushes the sense of peace and quiet to the cross over boundaries of being a tad boring mind, but for me, I think there's just enough of 'something' about it to keep me interested.

Looks like you had great weather. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2008 01:55 |  #2614

I like the last one too :)

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,153 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 14, 2008 02:36 |  #2615

somethingsimple wrote in post #5905086 (external link)
but the colours don't really 'pop' in any of them (too much blue glare?) and imo the exposures could be fiddled a little... the foregrounds are a little empty/uniform, and the subject matter isn't 'wow'... they are more like (long) tourist snaps.

Thanks for the honest critque. As far as tourist snaps comment I to a degree was a tourist ..............I will collect my thoughts a bit more and add to this not that the comment grates me rather it adds to the mix of the "style" discussion we have been having and "that" comment has hit a nerve/cord.

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2008 02:52 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #2616

if i thought it was the best you could do i might have thought better of it, i suppose im comparing it to other work youve shown us. by some peoples' standards it would be a good photo... but you can do more with a scene like that when you're in the zone

Moppie
15,074 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 14, 2008 02:56 |  #2617

weka2000 wrote in post #5904351 (external link)
Well seems I didnt do as bad as I thought :lol:

Looking into the town of Coromandel

The heavy shadow in the first one obscures to much detail, but then again it can be hard to reposition your main light when it's the sun.

The other 2 you could take into a cafe, or gallery anywhere in the Coromandel, Thames area, and sell for lots of money. They are a great capture of a very recognizable part of the area.

somethingsimple wrote in post #5905086 (external link)
.....sorry to rain on your parade -

Please think before using this phrase again when critiquing someones work, it is not a positive phrase, in any context.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,153 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 14, 2008 03:02 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #2618

The best article I have ever read on Style ........I have the guys book and it is the best bok on photography I have.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/​aesthetics9.shtml (external link)

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,153 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 14, 2008 03:05 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #2619

somethingsimple wrote in post #5906756 (external link)
if i thought it was the best you could do i might have thought better of it, i suppose im comparing it to other work youve shown us. by some peoples' standards it would be a good photo... but you can do more with a scene like that when you're in the zone

This will help add to my essay :lol:

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 14, 2008 03:08 |  #2620

So, a question to you all..... a company I have photographed(fashion) for before in the past year is looking at doing a shoot(fashion) and has asked me to go in and have a meeting with the Marketing Manager, Designer, and another photographer to do some brainstorming for the next shoot. They explained that they have had 2 shoots in the last year, 1 by me and 1 by the other photographer, and like both of our work. The other photographer is quite new to photography but has all the gear and a studio. I'm in a dilemma about this. Do I go in there a share my ideas/style? Go in there and say nothing. Not go at all. Ask to have a separate meeting with the Marketing Manager and designer?

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated...

to tell the truth I would never expect anyone to ask this, it's like asking 2 architects to come to your house for a meeting at the same time to offer their services to design your house. Just not cricket!

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

Raikyn
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 14, 2008 03:17 |  #2621

harroz wrote in post #5906808 (external link)
So, a question to you all..... a company I have photographed(fashion) for before in the past year is looking at doing a shoot(fashion) and has asked me to go in and have a meeting with the Marketing Manager, Designer, and another photographer to do some brainstorming for the next shoot. They explained that they have had 2 shoots in the last year, 1 by me and 1 by the other photographer, and like both of our work. The other photographer is quite new to photography but has all the gear and a studio. I'm in a dilemma about this. Do I go in there a share my ideas/style? Go in there and say nothing. Not go at all. Ask to have a separate meeting with the Marketing Manager and designer?

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated...

to tell the truth I would never expect anyone to ask this, it's like asking 2 architects to come to your house for a meeting at the same time to offer their services to design your house. Just not cricket!

So in effect they are asking you to do the most important part of the work, with no contract, and the chance they will use your ideas but go with the other guy??

[Inset Tui ad here]

Nzshrimper
a good height for ...
10,173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2008 03:20 |  #2622

or it could be the other way around..

or the third and most likely is that they will use both of you and want you too work as a team...

i would go - say as little as possible creatively but listen intently on what the others say.

if it appears that the plan is to steal all your ideas then politely step back from the process...

not everyone is out to scam everyone else ....

© All rights given away
Grammar – the difference between knowing you’re sh1te and knowing your sh1te

Moppie
15,074 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 14, 2008 03:21 |  #2623

That's why your contracting rate is 10 times your photographic rate isn't it ;)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 14, 2008 03:45 |  #2624

This is what I thought too and agree mostly, but then I'm not really putting in any creative input am I and so could lose the job, if I went over board and went in going crazy on creativity and being the one throwing most of the ideas around then yeah, I'd be showing my worth, but putting myself on the line.

No its not about scamming, more professionalism. would you go to a meeting to design a website with another designer for a brainstorming session? with no guarantee of the work?

Imagine a month after this meeting seeing your ideas used in that site, or photographically... hanging 3mtr x 1 mtr from the local Mall ceiling

I just don't know. I'm a pretty trusting lad usually but....

Nzshrimper wrote in post #5906848 (external link)
i would go - say as little as possible creatively but listen intently on what the others say.

if it appears that the plan is to steal all your ideas then politely step back from the process...

not everyone is out to scam everyone else ....

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,153 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 14, 2008 03:47 |  #2625

harroz wrote in post #5906898 (external link)
I just don't know. I'm a pretty trusting lad usually but....

I always follow my gut feelings ........ they very seldom let me down (sorry not very scientific or logical :lol: )

sponsored links

226,823 views & 1 like for this thread
GKPE: Serious Photography Thread
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.