Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jul 2007 (Friday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G2 Power issue

Ross ­ Workman
94 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 20, 2007 16:37 |  #1

Greetings to all.
I bought a used G2 for my wife to use a few months ago and it has a power issue.
The Li-ion battery doesn't seem to want to hold charge for any length of time. I've pulled known good batteries out of my 20D & 30D, but still it has a power hunger issue.
She said that it's alright if she doesn't use the zoom, but still, she doesn't get the number of images as one would expect.
I'm not familiar with this series of camera, but surely it should take more than a couple dozen images before crapping out.
I guess the bottom line question is, if it is something that needs to be fixed, is the camera worth it?
Or should I just buy her a new camera?
Thanks in advance.

Ross

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 25, 2007 22:41 |  #2

Hi Ross,

I can't say about your particular camera, but I have had my G2 since it was new, and I have to say that it pretty much sips the power as opposed to draining it.
I can get several hundred photos on one charge.

Sorry.
Alan

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,745 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 02, 2007 17:03 |  #3

I had a similiar issue a few years back. I was told that the charging circuit can get out of whack when the battery is frequently charged after using for just a few pictures, exactly what I frequently accomplished. I take 20 pictures at a wedding and then recharge. The problem is not the memory effect common to NiCad batteries, it is basically a "calibration" (for lack of abetter term) issue. Anyway, it was recommended that I fully charge the battery, then allow it to totally discharge. I did this by setting the screen to be on continuously. Then recharge and repeat. I did this about three times and the battery seemed fine, delivering the typical 100+ pictures on a charge.

By the way, for improved battery life the Canon tech also told me to charge to the steady orange indicator, not the steady green.

John from PA

an33sh
140 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 21, 2007 12:18 |  #4

i hardly can shoot 20 minutes with the LCD running on G2...

with the LCD off & no flash, and a whole night charge, i filled up 4 GB memory cards for 2 whole days straight at a annual Race event without recharging...

[Rebel XT. Canon 28-80 III. Canon 55-250 IS. 50mm 1.8 MKII. Speedlight 380EX.](HARD EARNED UPGRADE!)
And a G2. No bazooka lenses.Vision. Passion.
A littl bit of skill.And a world to capture.
www.an33sh.deviantart.​com:D (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
G2 Power issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.