Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 30 Jul 2007 (Monday) 04:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lancaster Bomber

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 30, 2007 04:34 |  #1

This is my first time posting in this section,i usually take wildlife photos.

This is a Lancaster bomber that was part of the Sunderland Air show this weekend.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links
Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 30, 2007 05:12 |  #2

Nice shot but try a slower shutter next time out.

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 30, 2007 07:51 |  #3

Airshow guys - prop freeze?

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/PhotosGuy/Forum%20Junk/Welcome-ChargerRT_020.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 30, 2007 18:55 |  #4

Thanks for looking guys, interesting viewpoint Peter though for me the blurred props give a feeling of motion and im comfortable with that.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 30, 2007 19:07 |  #5

cannylad wrote in post #3639477 (external link)
Thanks for looking guys, interesting viewpoint Peter though for me the blurred props give a feeling of motion and im comfortable with that.

I think he's suggesting more blur, the regular airshow shooters like using slow shooter speeds to give a much more blurred prop. typically, about 1/250 or 1/320 gives pleasing blur but it can take some practise to keep the aircraft sharp enough.

If this isn't your usual field of photography, then great shot and you are probably better using the faster shutter speed - at least for the first few shots of each aircraft.

I stuck to similar shutter speeds for my first airshows, as the planes were a bit too soft using slower speeds at first. Now, I try and shoot prop aircraft at 1/250 or 1/320 and, although I still have a number of unsharp shots, the ones that work are more pleasing. If I am shooting a plane I haven't already got shots of, I tend to do the first couple of passes at a faster shutter speed to ensure that I have a sharp shot, then slow down and go for more prop blur.

Keep up the good work.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 31, 2007 02:41 |  #6

OK thanks for explaining Sandpiper, your right i usually shoot birds so i go for fast shutter speeds to freeze the action.

Trying to broaden my horizons a bit, so C&C welcomed.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

Mumby
115 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 31, 2007 03:50 |  #7

I seem to remember that the display line is quite a way from the crowd at Sunderland, is this shot cropped much? What was the focal length? In my opinion you went with a decent shutter speed, any slower and you may have got absolutely nothing useable. These aircraft do look good at less than 1/250 s , but it takes a lot of practice. I agree with what sandpiper said, best to have a few at faster shutter speeds so at least you know will get a few sharp ones.

Or, just take pictures of jets :)

Paul

flickr (external link)

StephenD
44 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 31, 2007 10:53 |  #8

Looks good! :-)

I was there on Saturday, where you there then? Where were you? Might have seen you there.

EOS 300D Wasia, Canon 50mm 'Nifty Fifty' f/1.8
Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG,
My photo's on Airliners.net
http://www.airliners.n​et …avies&distinct_​entry=true (external link)

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 01, 2007 00:11 |  #9

Hi Paul and Stephen, i actually took this at Tynemouth as the Lancaster flew by.
I saw quite a bit of the show and it looked great so i hope to go too Sunderland next year, and get a bit closer.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links

1,896 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lancaster Bomber
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.