Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is Ken Rockwell so hated?

this thread is locked
the_incubus
my head exploded
3,456 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 03, 2007 12:22 |  #31

This is ridiculous. Everyone saying, well hate is a strong word i dont HATE him.:rolleyes: Of course we dont hate him like we hate Osama bin laden, its just easier to say hate, then dislike very much. I just dislike him, wether he is a dork/nerd/goof ball and opinionated dosent matter to me at all, i could care less. But, the fact that he gives out false information to "noobs" or people who are looking to learn about photography is what makes me dislike him. And wether his gallery is good or not i dont care either. Its that he is portrayed as a good, famous photographer and i dont think he deserves such titles. And this isnt a public bashing its a warning to those who do not know to stay away from this guys reviews.

And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.
My Gear

sponsored links
Nick_b
968 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2007 12:27 |  #32

Ahh, I think most of it's jealousy. I'm sure no one actually hates him. He seems to enjoy the attention so I have no problems laughing along with him.

50D, 2 x 20D, Elan 7E, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.8, 200mm 2.8 II, flash 430EX, 580 EX
Canon G10
Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

ghms421
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 03, 2007 12:39 |  #33

"This is my personal website. I do it all by myself. This site is purely my personal opinion.

I started this site as a joke after I took a community college class in webmaking as a place I could record and retrieve the results of my my personal observations. I used to write them down in my computer, but sticking them on the web let me access them from anywhere, like at a friend's house, without lugging my own computer. Search engines then found it.

I've never promoted this site. I love to share what I love, but with my friends.

While occasionally inspired by actual products or experiences, this site is entirely a work of fiction. It's a joke! Any resemblance to any actual people, places, products or anything is purely coincidental. This site is private and provided only for the entertainment of my personal friends and myself.

Read this site at your own risk. I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking.

I love a good hoax. Read The Museum of Hoaxes. A hoax, like this site, is done as a goof simply for the heck of it by overactive minds. "

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 03, 2007 12:46 |  #34

I have no idea who Ken Rockwell is, but if he is the guy that stole my Hamster when I was 11, he is in one deep pile of trouble. grrrr...

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 03, 2007 12:57 |  #35

ghms421 wrote in post #3662980 (external link)
"This is my personal website. I do it all by myself. This site is purely my personal opinion.

I started this site as a joke after I took a community college class in webmaking as a place I could record and retrieve the results of my my personal observations. I used to write them down in my computer, but sticking them on the web let me access them from anywhere, like at a friend's house, without lugging my own computer. Search engines then found it.

I've never promoted this site. I love to share what I love, but with my friends.

While occasionally inspired by actual products or experiences, this site is entirely a work of fiction. It's a joke! Any resemblance to any actual people, places, products or anything is purely coincidental. This site is private and provided only for the entertainment of my personal friends and myself.

Read this site at your own risk. I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking.

I love a good hoax. Read The Museum of Hoaxes. A hoax, like this site, is done as a goof simply for the heck of it by overactive minds. "

ssshhhh!!!! You promised not to tell.

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 03, 2007 13:32 |  #36

mjgravina wrote in post #3663019 (external link)
I have no idea who Ken Rockwell is, but if he is the guy that stole my Hamster when I was 11, he is in one deep pile of trouble. grrrr...

Oh, was that your hamster? I sold it to the producers of Nutty Professor II...we was made real big and....well, let me just say that he had fun on the set. Watch the movie...real funny;).

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 03, 2007 13:34 |  #37

the_incubus wrote in post #3662884 (external link)
This is ridiculous. Everyone saying, well hate is a strong word i dont HATE him.:rolleyes: Of course we dont hate him like we hate Osama bin laden, its just easier to say hate, then dislike very much. I just dislike him, wether he is a dork/nerd/goof ball and opinionated dosent matter to me at all, i could care less. But, the fact that he gives out false information to "noobs" or people who are looking to learn about photography is what makes me dislike him. And wether his gallery is good or not i dont care either. Its that he is portrayed as a good, famous photographer and i dont think he deserves such titles. And this isnt a public bashing its a warning to those who do not know to stay away from this guys reviews.

You can't save people from themselves if they want to take his advice........consumer​s have to filter their own information.

jjasc
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2007 14:16 |  #38

Wow, I read some of Ken's quotes. He does sound like a bit of an idiot--but as some people have suggested, maybe he is trying to be an idiot for the publicity. The prevailing message I got from his blog was "My way or the highway."

Canon 5D Mark 2 | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200L f/4 (broken) | Canon 50 f/1.8.
FLICKR Portfolio (external link) | Landscape Photography Guide (external link) | [URL="http://photograp​hyreview.org"]Photogra​phy Gear Reviews (external link)

CelticRavenVA
207 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2007 14:19 |  #39

Ok... I actually felt bad after I posted my comment yesterday, can't say I lost sleep over it but neither here nor there.

Removing any reading I did on his site, I and looking at his pictures, I really started to get the feeling, of... "Wow, does this guy own a lens other then a 14mm WA?"

Well after looking further, I found he owns at least one other. :)

Someone earlier quoted him on the topic of rich people buying cameras... Well comments like that irk me, actually irk me pretty bad. Sorta like saying to that poor alcoholic painter, "Van Gogh, you only buy paint cause you can't afford a camera. HA LOSER"

If you are new and attempting to learn to shoot good photography, do not read his site, I have to agree, there is quite a bit of not only opinionated, but straight wrong information on his site.

As for he tests gear and I don't, and I am so cool cause I test gear.... Whatever... Even if I did test gear I would hope you would be getting recommendations from someone that actually does side by side comparisons, and more scientific tests then Ken and his community college website, but I guess everyone listens to someone.

CelticRaven
:p ~if you take me too seriously your head might explode~ :lol:

pagnamenta
787 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2007 18:07 |  #40

The biggest thing that surprised me was that he complained about the "color cast" on the Canon lcd screen. Doesn't he know that you can't use the lcd screen to accurate judge color and sharpness? If he's a working professional, he should want control over his images. Over the years, Canon has really backed off on the in camera processing so that we as the photographer have more control.

When I "review" a camera body, I don't show my bias. Rockwell's bias comes into play so often everything I read from him isn't trustworthy. It just surprises me how many stupid things he says, you can't honestly take the guy serious.

Sorry if this was already posted, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, I'm on my way out, but this was posted on another forum, quite a funny read. http://www.bahneman.co​m …?story=Ken_Rock​well_Facts (external link)

Canon 1D3, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sale), 1.4x converter, 580EX.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 03, 2007 19:07 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Hated?
Not really, he is just not respected as a serious and knowledgeable author..
He is just a clown.

Compare his site to, for instance, THIS (external link) guy’s site and you’ll know the difference..

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Lemmonphotography
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2007 23:24 |  #42

my eyes hurt from those 14mm..."images" lol i like how he totally distorted that compressor thing.

30d w/ BG-E2
200mm f/2.8L II
28-135 f/ 3.5-5.6
50mm f/1.4

aim: sweetndsour15

Lemmonphotography
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2007 23:24 |  #43

not

30d w/ BG-E2
200mm f/2.8L II
28-135 f/ 3.5-5.6
50mm f/1.4

aim: sweetndsour15

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 04, 2007 12:33 |  #44

Before today, I never heard of him. I just read about him for the first time in yet another thread.

But you are all discussing him. As such, his name becomes more recognized. As he becomes more recognized, he becomes more popular. As he becomes more popular (right or wrong) he becomes a source authority in the industry.

So if you folks do not like him, why are you helping to promote him?

Website (external link) |

dave2005
101 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 04, 2007 19:17 |  #45

CannedHeat wrote in post #3668072 (external link)
Before today, I never heard of him. I just read about him for the first time in yet another thread.

But you are all discussing him. As such, his name becomes more recognized. As he becomes more recognized, he becomes more popular. As he becomes more popular (right or wrong) he becomes a source authority in the industry.

So if you folks do not like him, why are you helping to promote him?

+1

at the end he is probably laughing at us.

sponsored links

242,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is Ken Rockwell so hated?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.