Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is Ken Rockwell so hated?

this thread is locked
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 07, 2007 09:15 |  #61

3Turner wrote in post #3679419 (external link)
He's topless in it isn't he? That's why you think he is dreamy huh?:lol:

Oh no. He's completely naked with only a Nikon D200 draped around his neck. Ooh la la.

IMAGE: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/wub.gif

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,732 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 07, 2007 16:42 |  #62

CannedHeat wrote in post #3671570 (external link)
Controversy, properly used, can be an effective tool for self-promotion. It elicits response where another tact may not. It could all be a carefully crafted and executed campaign.

Like Ann Coulter? :)

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 07, 2007 16:45 |  #63

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #3686118 (external link)
Like Ann Coulter? :)

No... I was thinking more along the lines of James Carville. ;)

Website (external link) |

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2007 16:51 |  #64

Lord_Malone wrote in post #3683666 (external link)
Oh no. He's completely naked with only a Nikon D200 draped around his neck. Ooh la la.
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

It's his big monopod, isn't it?

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,732 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 07, 2007 16:56 |  #65

CannedHeat wrote in post #3686148 (external link)
No... I was thinking more along the lines of James Carville. ;)

Same difference, really. :)

Mark
-----

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2007 17:22 |  #66

I personally admire and agree with most of his philosophical points. It's just some of the tips he offers on his "workshop" essays that have me either scratching my head or laughing out loud.

His essays such as levels of photogrpahy, making b/w shot in PS, bad reviews are good, be yourself, making great photos in a crappy locations, and artistic synthesis are pretty much spot on. It disappoints me that a guy that has these views offers such bad tips and has mediocure shots, at least in my eye.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 07, 2007 18:26 |  #67

Lord_Malone wrote in post #3683666 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, what sized lens is attached to the Nikon? Wait, is that a lens on the poster?

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

achanth
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2008 03:38 |  #68

Actually, despite what you may say, I checked all his claims, and he is CORRECT. There is no bias like on other sites where the review of camera and lens may be biased. He also wrote some good things about canon cameras (e.g. 40D) and lens (the f/1.4 type). I like his no nonsense camera and lens review...we should not take any forum viewpoints per se. Check on it. Most of the times, his views are accurate! and It saves me money!!! That's why I think he is good in his reviews.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,732 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 19, 2008 13:26 |  #69

achanth wrote in post #5145888 (external link)
Actually, despite what you may say, I checked all his claims, and he is CORRECT. There is no bias like on other sites where the review of camera and lens may be biased. He also wrote some good things about canon cameras (e.g. 40D) and lens (the f/1.4 type). I like his no nonsense camera and lens review...we should not take any forum viewpoints per se. Check on it. Most of the times, his views are accurate! and It saves me money!!! That's why I think he is good in his reviews.

Hey Ken,

Nice to see you posting. :) :) :)

Mark
-----

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 19, 2008 23:49 |  #70

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #5148419 (external link)
Hey Ken,

Nice to see you posting. :) :) :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

Uhland
864 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 20, 2008 22:23 |  #71

Never heard of him before this thread.
Went to his site. He isnt that bad.
Some miss information and grammer errors here and there.
Not a huge deal. No need to hate on him.

I visit other sites that hate on this site for the same reason you guys are hating on his site.

Welcome to the internets I guess.

:mrgreen:https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2008 01:27 as a reply to  @ Uhland's post |  #72

He talks about girls and grandmothers?

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 21, 2008 02:53 |  #73

Woolburr wrote in post #3662101 (external link)
There is nothing like a good old KR bashing to make the day seem a little bit sunnier! As someone mentioned in another thread, the only time Ken makes a valid point is by accident.

ah got to love hating ken rockwell. again another thread to this guy :rolleyes:

anyway it seems that even luminous landscape even got on the act with Ken

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/c​ameras-matter.shtml (external link)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 21, 2008 04:36 |  #74

That luminous landscape guy also seems to be an arrogant ass and his two shots suck. We all know photography is an art and a craft and there is a 'middle way' rather than wasting time arguing either/or! And the subject as perceived also drops into the reckoning. There is no 'objective' subject there waiting to be shot. The subject appears as it appears (or not!) through ones perception. So that means if you have a slow lens and a slow camera like a 5D at a sports event then the creative crafts-person can still get a great shot. It will likely be a different shot to the one seen by the gear head with pro gear and super fast L's who fires away spray and pray style, but s/he may also manage to grab a decent frame or two.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

DMax82
217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2008 05:11 |  #75

condyk wrote in post #5160043 (external link)
That luminous landscape guy also seems to be an arrogant ass and his two shots suck. We all know photography is an art and a craft and there is a 'middle way' rather than wasting time arguing either/or! And the subject as perceived also drops into the reckoning. There is no 'objective' subject there waiting to be shot. The subject appears as it appears (or not!) through ones perception. So that means if you have a slow lens and a slow camera like a 5D at a sports event then the creative crafts-person can still get a great shot. It will likely be a different shot to the one seen by the gear head with pro gear and super fast L's who fires away spray and pray style, but s/he may also manage to grab a decent frame or two.

I always thought Reichmann was a better writer than photographer, but have now lost a lot of respect for him in that cateagory too. The "It's about the equipment stupid" section was an insult to the intellegence of everyone who read either column. Where did the Rock star say you don't need a camera?

"Don't they teach analytical thinking in schools any more?"
" But, based on emails received and what I read on this site's forum and some others, there is a small percentage who either didn't get it, or who simply have sub-optimal reading skills."

What a class act!

This is an interesting article he wrote previously: funkycam (external link)

Money quote:

"There's simply far too much attention paid to the technical quality of our images. Ultimately though, this isn't what's important. It's what the photographs are "of" and the vision behind them that makes them succeed or not.
Not a single one of the best photographs that I have ever published, exhibited, or sold stands on its technical merits. Yes, many of them have technical merit, but this isn't what makes them succeed. They would have been worthwhile (to the extent that they are) even if they had been taken with lesser equipment."

Looks like he just wanted to get in on the Rockwell bashing.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.

sponsored links

242,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is Ken Rockwell so hated?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.