Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Aug 2007 (Friday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XP or Vista: which to choose?

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 03, 2007 09:15 |  #1

Sometime in the near future I will invest in a new notebook. (PC). For those who have Vista, would you go back to XP? And if so why? If this type of thread has been run into the ground, please forgive me. Thanks for the input.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sponsored links
danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2007 09:17 |  #2

I wouldn't do Vista until the service pack comes out (and it will come out LOL)

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

malskat
148 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2007 09:34 as a reply to  @ danpass's post |  #3

I have been running Vista Ultimate in 64bit. I have absolutely no problems.

Certainly a few older programs I had to run in XP compatibly mode, but that's just a few mouse clicks and I haven't had any trouble.
But generally everything I threw at it works flawlessly (in our case.. all photo software as well).

The ONLY issue I have is that the Canon software will work with Vista 32bit.. but not Vista 64bit. But in my opinion, with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop working great, it didn't really set me back at all.

I do not regret the upgrade at all.

"An image can tell a thousand stories... or a thousand lies."

dave_borg98
301 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 03, 2007 09:34 |  #4

There are a lot of people that have complained about the problems with Vista. I personally run it and have only encountered one problem with a game of mine. Photoshop, lightroom, etc. all run great on my machine (Dell XPS M1710). I would not go back to XP now that I have gotten used to Vista.

The service pack is just around the corner (that is in Microsoft time which is flaky at best) and it does fix some issues.

Be prepared to receive all sorts of posts about buying a Mac or running a Linux flavor. Just remember that a lot of people give opinions without ever using the other or having any kind of good knowledge of what they are saying. There seems to be a lot of people that read other posts and take that as the absolute truth and the regurgitate that on a post like this. So, just remember that when people give opinions on this or any topic.

The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera. ~W. Eugene Smith
--My Gear List--

malskat
148 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2007 09:42 as a reply to  @ dave_borg98's post |  #5

Oh yeah.. there was one online game I had initial issues with (Star Wars Galaxies).. but after a few clicks to change a couple of settings.. it ran excellent.
Most ppl I have spoken with who had trouble with Vista had their problems solved after they figured out how to adjust their settings a bit (mostly the security settings for online gaming.. and rarely an older program needing to be run as 'administrator' and/or XP compatibility).
I still wouldn't go back to XP.
XP is good don't get me wrong and the other pc I have still uses it, but my main pc will stay Vista.

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2007 10:10 |  #6

Which Vista do you guys have?

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 03, 2007 10:17 |  #7

If it’s a new PC then I would go Vista as it is the OS that most of the development will focused on and you have to pay the license fee so if you go XP and want to upgrade to Vista in the future, MS is getting more of your hard earned $$. If you already have XP, I wouldn’t upgrade until either the SP comes out or you get a new PC.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 03, 2007 10:21 |  #8

malskat wrote in post #3661971 (external link)
I have been running Vista Ultimate in 64bit. I have absolutely no problems.

Certainly a few older programs I had to run in XP compatibly mode, but that's just a few mouse clicks and I haven't had any trouble.
But generally everything I threw at it works flawlessly (in our case.. all photo software as well).

The ONLY issue I have is that the Canon software will work with Vista 32bit.. but not Vista 64bit. But in my opinion, with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop working great, it didn't really set me back at all.

I do not regret the upgrade at all.

I agree...

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

malskat
148 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2007 10:25 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #3662240 (external link)
If you already have XP, I wouldn’t upgrade until either the SP comes out or you get a new PC.

I fully agree in upgrading to Vista when you purchase (or build) a new pc. I will not be upgrading my old pc to Vista.. it's a few years old and because of the specs I feel Vista might be a little demanding on it. Instead when I built the new pc, that was the right time for an upgrade.

danpass wrote in post #3662196 (external link)

I am running Vista Ultimate in 64bit.

xpsentity
542 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2007 10:37 as a reply to  @ malskat's post |  #10

On the flip side of everyone else it seems;

My company has decided to discontinue it's use of Microsoft products *because* of Vista, and will be migrating to *NIX at the next upgrade cycle.

The unbelievable DRM and privacy invading software bundled with Vista have convinced many other people to never use it as well. I've only been running XP for gaming for years anyway, so it's a no brainer for me. You couldn't pay me to install that OS on anything I own.

Black boxes, glass shards
http://entityzero.devi​antart.com (external link)

dave_borg98
301 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 03, 2007 10:48 |  #11

danpass wrote in post #3662196 (external link)

I run Vista Business, as do 12 other company computers that I am in control of.

The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera. ~W. Eugene Smith
--My Gear List--

dreamline
Goldmember
1,240 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2007 10:51 as a reply to  @ malskat's post |  #12

Had to make this decision myself not so long ago. I chose Vista 32 bit and haven't regretted it.

Mind you, I don't use the machine for many games, just CS3, Lightroom and OpenOffice.org. Firefox and Thunderbird run fine. Had the odd issue with older programs, but no show-stoppers.

Bernie (external link)

Kit list:
Eos 30D/Canon 100mm Macro/Canon 28-105/Sigma 70-300/Canon 400 F5.6L/430ex/Giottos MT9170

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 03, 2007 13:18 |  #13

One of my machines has Windows Vista Ultimate, and recently helped a friend configure his Vista Home Premium. Based on the experience, i can say Vista is very... very resource intensive just by itself.
My Vista box has 2Gb RAM, 3Ghz Pentium and my friend's box has 1Gb RAM, 2.1Ghz Duo Core. Without opening any application, the Task Manager shows almost 50% of the memory has already been occupied. Both machines were doing fine until i started opening some applications such as Outlook, Internet Explorer, Media Player, Yahoo Messenger..... the performance became sluggish. Same type of apps running on my other XP machine with 1Gb Ram, 1.8Ghz Athlon, it is not a problem.
Just want to share my experience.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Baadil
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 03, 2007 13:50 |  #14

My $0.02.

If you are buying a new PC, make sure you have plenty of RAM 2+GB, have discrete video card with its own RAM (256MB+) and go for the best Vista you want.

For existing systems that may lack some punch, stick with XP as XP requires less system resources than Vista. At this point, I think it is more about hardware power than software compatibility for newer systems. If you have this Windows 3.11 era address book that you can part with, you can alwayd run it in compatibility mode or in a Virtual Machine.

Also, something to consider is that with most newer machine, you can get them pre-installed with XP and I think get a free upgrade voucher for vista. At least this was the case a couple of month ago.

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

B3SEO
783 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2007 14:17 |  #15

Baadil wrote in post #3663412 (external link)
My $0.02.

If you are buying a new PC, make sure you have plenty of RAM 2+GB, have discrete video card with its own RAM (256MB+) and go for the best Vista you want.

For existing systems that may lack some punch, stick with XP as XP requires less system resources than Vista. At this point, I think it is more about hardware power than software compatibility for newer systems. If you have this Windows 3.11 era address book that you can part with, you can alwayd run it in compatibility mode or in a Virtual Machine.

Also, something to consider is that with most newer machine, you can get them pre-installed with XP and I think get a free upgrade voucher for vista. At least this was the case a couple of month ago.

Vista is Microsoft's answer to mimic the Apple OS. AS everyone has stated, it is resource intensive. Making the windows fly around, jump through hoops, etc, can take alot of memory. So, if you get it, and you want to process images, I recommend at LEAST 2GB of memory, 4GB if you can spare the coin. Also, lots of third party software companies are scrambling to take advantage of the 64 bit processor. When you install it, you have a choice. 32bit or 64bit.

I've used both, but favor XP, until the service pack(s) come out. And the word on the street here in Seattle, they'll be out in the next few months.

Step back please... I'm armed with a camera...

sponsored links

1,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
XP or Vista: which to choose?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.