Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 04 Aug 2007 (Saturday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Online guide for new wedding photographer

Rokkorfan
256 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2007 09:55 |  #1

Hi all,

A while ago I wrote an article about how to shoot your first wedding in my blog, but given no-one reads my blog I decided to give the article a permanent place on the web. Feedback for improvement is appreciated. It is quite a long read, but should be a great help to anyone shooting their first wedding.

http://www.rokkorfiles​.com/Wedding101-page1.html (external link)

Cheers,

Antony

Professional wedding photographer based in Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia (external link)
Links: Website  (external link)| Blog (external link) | How to photograph a wedding (external link)

sponsored links
puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2007 10:25 |  #2

Anthony,

Thanks for making this available. I'm going to spend some serious time reading, and re-reading this. So far, it's good stuff. Thanks again.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2007 10:36 |  #3

same here- in the process of scan reading for now - will give it a more respectful read later on, thanks (and nicely written)

www.hangerhead.smugmug​.com (external link)

Canon 1DS MK II, Canon 40D
Canon 70-200mm L f4, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-55mm IS f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 24-105 IS f4 L, 17-40 L

morlia
733 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2007 10:50 |  #4

Thanks, this came in the nick of time...I have my first one on Saturday. After reading it I feel much better, I was able to read his conditions and say check! check! check! Yeah me!

not a lot of gear, but I have endless amounts of energy!

http://www.madchenstud​ios.com (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2007 10:58 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Thank you for numbers one,two, and six. There are so many people who aren't proficient with a DSLR trying to photograph weddings.

Overall, a well balanced and informative article. Thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

randplaty
324 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2007 12:36 |  #6

excellent stuff

Most professional photographers will be happy to accept the assistance of a keen amateur with an interest in wedding photography, and allow you to be an unpaid assistant.

i don't find this to be true... do you?

San Diego Wedding Photography - Orange Turtle Photography | Feel In Color (external link)
Orange Turtle Photography Blog (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2007 12:40 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

randplaty wrote in post #3668087 (external link)
Most professional photographers will be happy to accept the assistance of a keen amateur with an interest in wedding photography, and allow you to be an unpaid assistant.

Nope.

Elizabeth
Blog

canotographer
810 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2007 18:19 |  #8

Haha.. nope.. it's not true at all.. I have asked a wedding photog friend to be her assistance for an August beach wedding..but she politely turned me down with some "valid reasons" ...

I also offerred help to another wedding photog friend for free last year...and got turned down as well...

I think the best way to break in is to do weddings shooting for your friends/schoolmates/re​latives/co-worker/people in your church for free .. make sure you will do them really well... then ask the happy "clients" to give you referrals. It will take time and it depends how aggressive you are and how helpful your "clients" are...

Mark
Camera : EOS 5D EOS 30D EOS Rebel 2000
Lens: EF70-200/2.8L IS EF100-400/4.5-5.6L IS EF 24-105/4L IS EF [COLOR=purple]17-40/4L EF-S 17-55/2.8IS [COLOR=#800080]EF 50/1.4
Accessory : 580EXII | BG-E4 | LSP| Extreme III 17GB
Crumpler: Keystone | Whickey & Cox | Barney Rustle+ Bucket

Borderfox
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 04, 2007 18:31 as a reply to  @ canotographer's post |  #9

Thanks for sticking this up

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Rokkorfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2007 19:25 |  #10

randplaty wrote in post #3668087 (external link)
excellent stuff

If I have a person approach me who is keen to become a wedding photographer I will normally consider using them as an assistant - it frees up my second shooter and means I have someone else to hold reflectors etc. This is dependant on me:

1. Liking them
2. Thinking they are serious about learning
3. Knowing that they are smart enough and have enough basic knowledge that it won't slow me down to have them there.

This is not uncommon from what I have seen in Australia, it may be different in the USA.

That said, I have amended the article to read "Some professional phtographers...."

Thanks for the great feedback!

Professional wedding photographer based in Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia (external link)
Links: Website  (external link)| Blog (external link) | How to photograph a wedding (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2007 23:49 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I have a lot of people approach me, but I politely turn them down. The only person I would consider eventually working for me as a second shooter on a permanent basis is my son. I'm slowly training him now with that eventual goal in mind.

Elizabeth
Blog

xmacvicar
Mr. Wizard "B.D.B on POTN"
543 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 05, 2007 00:03 |  #12

This is a fantastic, fantastic guide for 1st time wedding photographers. It's the best i've read out of all of the ones available on POTN.

One thing I would like to add to this would be mention of proper clothing/etiquette. No matter what the wedding, you should dress accordingly. There are varying opinions on this, but just show some level of respect and dress according to the wedding itself. It shows that you take it seriously and respect the integrity of the event.

Some go for full out tuxedo and others do more casual/formal with dress shirts and khaki's.

Bodies: Canon 40D & Grip, Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 24-70, Canon 50L 1.2, Canon 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50mm Macro
Flash: Canon 580ex II, Pocket Wizard Plus II (2)
http://www.davidmacvic​ar.com/blog (external link)

jarias
581 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 05, 2007 00:21 |  #13

I offered my services here and got no response so I have to say most wedding photographers dont agree with the assistant statement

George

Gear List

canotographer
810 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2007 04:54 |  #14

Everybody is trying to protect their business..Pros just don't want to create another competitor for themselves... so asking for being a second photog (even for free) generally won't work...

Mark
Camera : EOS 5D EOS 30D EOS Rebel 2000
Lens: EF70-200/2.8L IS EF100-400/4.5-5.6L IS EF 24-105/4L IS EF [COLOR=purple]17-40/4L EF-S 17-55/2.8IS [COLOR=#800080]EF 50/1.4
Accessory : 580EXII | BG-E4 | LSP| Extreme III 17GB
Crumpler: Keystone | Whickey & Cox | Barney Rustle+ Bucket

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,967 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 05, 2007 05:21 as a reply to  @ canotographer's post |  #15

I never been for wedding photography, but i can feel or see clearly that if i am a pro wedding photog then i will try to be alone self-confidence and trying not to take any advices from others photogs if they are not pro as me or better, maybe i can listen to some photog but sure i will take only what i need and i will ignore the rest which i don't want, it is a human nature even if not all people acting or behaving this way.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Online guide for new wedding photographer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.