Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first shoot with moving cars need advice.

lilmill
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 05, 2007 10:42 |  #1

Well I'm going to my first auto shoot this week,hopefully i can get some descent shots. I'll be taking the 100-400 and a mono and a tripod. I'm looking for pointers on panning. It's gonna be a road corse at willow springs and have not really ever done any panning. In terms of aperture I usually shoot wide open but im afraid with the motion the DOF might be to shallow. So should I stop it down i pit to increase DOF and it should also give alittle better blur on background motion? And on the 100-400 should i be in panning mode 2 if on the mono or should i still be in mode 1

7D,20D 3l's and a couple ef's
G10,D10, SD630
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lilmill/ (external link)

sponsored links
JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 05, 2007 11:17 |  #2

I'm fairly new at motor-sports too, but I can help a bit.

First, use Tv mode, and let the aperture fall where it will. The shutter speed causes the background motion blur you're looking for. Depending on the speed of the cars where you're shooting, you'll want Tv set between 1/60 and 1/150. Set your ISO to get the Aperture you want, f5.6 --> f10 works for me, but wide open isn't bad.

I've tried with a Monopod, but I got better results free hand. I just tucked my left elbow in tight, and panned smoothly. I saw plenty of people(with high end gear) doing it both ways, but I have no idea what there results were.

Panning smooth is the hard part, especially with low shutter speeds. Cars at the track are always accelerating or decelerating. Then of course as the angle changes(to your left or right) closer to center your pan has to pick up speed too, even if the car was moving at a constant rate. It takes practice!

I set my 100-400 to mode 2. I tried with IS off, but found it helped control my up/down movements when it was on.

My advice: Shoot lots of frames. Check your results. Start high, like 1/200 so you'll get a couple keepers to make your day worth it. Then work your way down, and try to get a couple stunners.

JohnC

John Caputo

tintop
36 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 05, 2007 11:29 |  #3

You'll probably find the tripod makes it harder to get any decent shots. If you want panning shots, you'll need lots of mobility. I find a monopod is no good either.

SnowManZ
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 07, 2007 21:52 |  #4

I'll say this, I don't think I will shoot races without a monopod. I had surgery on my right hand before I did my first two race shoots. The need for something to support the camera was the main factor for me to shoot with one. I can get a lot of keepers using a Monopod, I don't have an IS lens. It is very easy to shoot with one.

My Web Gallery www.KrisSnowPhotograph​y.com (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=441885

PhotosGuy
75,432 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 08, 2007 08:57 |  #5

It's a crapshoot? Sharp subject while still keeping some wheel blur isn't easy & comes with practice.
It depends on the distance to the subject, the angle of movement to the camera of the subject, the focal length, the speed of the subject, & the effect that you're trying to get. Racing events are easier to shoot because the cars/bikes are usually going about the same speed, so it's easier to zero in on the right shutter speed for a particular event.
Sometimes when I'm playing with blurs with "normal" traffic, I throw a lot away! ; )

For instance, here are two shots at 1/20 sec. The first is the feeling that I was going for with the front sharp & the rest blurred to give a feeling of motion. The 2nd is OK, but not what I wanted, although it will make some other people happier? ; )

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Go out where you can shoot some traffic. Try to work on a smooth pan & keep the car as close to the same place in the frame as you can. I try to aim a focus point at something easy to see, like a headlight if that's the part of the subject that you want to keep sharp.

Some examples from Timmay here: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=16231392&p​ostcount=8

"Wind up" first. Start with your feet & shoulders parallel to where you expect the car to be when you take the shot. And don't forget to follow through as the shutter trips.

Start at 1/200 sec & work your way down to 1/30 & see how steady you are. Just for reference:
"Pre-Cruise" at 1/15 seconds - 7/28/12

More "Pre-Cruise", this time at 1/20 seconds - 8/8/12

And there's no reason that all of the car needs to be sharp, either, unless that's what you personally want to happen.

http://img.photobucket​.com …0-%20Rides/F1-Blur-06.jpg (external link)

"Nightmare Cruise" with a happy ending.
Trucks OTR.

Pushing the limits with trucks: MOPAR Pickups & a Freightliner.

Dream Cruise 2010 - Sitting on the curb...

Dream Cruise 2011 Wrap Up

There are a lot more threads for anyone else interested. Just do an advanced search for cruise in Transportation.

First, use Tv mode, and let the aperture fall where it will.

That let's the subject & background determine your overall exposure, something I prefer to do myself. What do I mean by that? How the subject affects the exposure & why manual keeps me worry free: Post #47

Need an exposure crutch?

"Panning Shots" threads here:
drag racing tips

Panning Shots

Post #9 has star filter links.
The official Dream Cruise - Saturday

Practicing.... out my street HELP me out
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=70558

Motorsport Shooting Tips, Tutorials and Advice

Great post by John Thawley:
what settings to get wheel and backround blur for car racing...
And his thoughts on rolling shots:
http://www.johnthawley​.com …/this-is-how-we-roll.html (external link)

If you decide to do some static shots, this will help:
A few Car Lighting Tips - Updated

And before you get ready to take the shot, look at the light that's happening at that location. Is a building killing the highlights that should be in the body?
Look at the background at that spot. I've seen a lot of pans taken at the spot where the only tree in the image is growing out of the car.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ryant35
Goldmember
4,338 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 19, 2007 12:54 |  #6

Which track at Willow Springs? Have you gone yet?

I shoot there all the time and can help with locations for morning or afternoon. That makes a big difference.

Also I used to hate using a monopod, then I used a 1D MKII with a Sigma 50-500. Try holding that up all day with out a monopod.
Last weekend at Willow Springs I took 17,700 photographs for a track day with at least 100 cars. That many shots I would have just about killed myself with out a monopod.

1DsMKII, 2 7D's & Grips & 1 dead 40D, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 1.4X TC III, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8, 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)"Ducky in the City" Fun for the ducky loving community.Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,432 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 08, 2013 08:43 |  #7

Think about pressing the shutter a little early & shooting a sequence because the first shot is disturbed a bit by the act of pressing the shutter & the following shots may be smoother pans.

I was sitting with some guys as the cars were leaving & this sequence was at 1/13 sec. They aren't sharpened.
In the first, the riders are the sharpest.
#2 is a throw away.
#3 has the front of the bike pretty sharp & a good feeling of motion.

HOSTED PHOTO

Here's #3 with some PP.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhotosGuy
75,432 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 08, 2013 08:44 |  #8

Two more at 1/10 second.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 08, 2013 09:15 |  #9

I would like to join in the discussion. What are your thoughts in these. I do agree that it is a crap shoot and tricky to do any panning shot.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …critique2_zps8d​d507c2.jpg (external link)

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …critique1_zps21​7d7c21.jpg (external link)

On this third one I realized that my sensor was dirty. Since then it was all cleaned up.

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …critique3_zps5e​0bf542.jpg (external link)

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

PhotosGuy
75,432 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 08, 2013 09:26 |  #10

I like the third one because part of the car is sharp. The helmet is almost there in #2, but not enough of it. I like the eyes in #1, & it's the kind of shot that keeps me shooting these because it's SO CLOSE, but not "there" ; )

tomj
611 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 08, 2013 09:39 |  #11

"First, use Tv mode, and let the aperture fall where it will. The shutter speed causes the background motion blur you're looking for. Depending on the speed of the cars where you're shooting, you'll want Tv set between 1/60 and 1/150. Set your ISO to get the Aperture you want, f5.6 --> f10 works for me, but wide open isn't bad."

This is what I do.

One suggestion, though: Shooting at lower speeds does take practice (at least for most of us) and you may find at first that you need to be at a higher shutter speed. Keep checking what you're getting and go higher if you have to. I don't shoot this type of thing often enough to be good, and get very few keepers if I'm below 1/200, but even at that speed you have enough blur in the wheels and background to show motion. I find I'd prefer to have less background blur (I still want some) and a sharp car than to be getting blur in everything.

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 08, 2013 09:49 |  #12

Hmm, old thread, but hey, it's a good subject to be "active"!

First off, here's an active thread that's been going for, gosh, a few years:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=325181

My approach is to shoot Manual, setting a low ISO and a pretty narrow aperture (say f/8, f/11, or f/16), both of which allow me to shoot at a reasonably slow shutter speed, and the narrow aperture also ensures a fair amount of detail in the moving subject (assuming I'm shooting with a good, steady focus). Of course the slow shutter speed gives the "motion blur".

This all does require practice, practice, and more practice!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,472 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 08, 2013 10:14 |  #13

Some additional thoughts:

The easiest panning shots are when the subject is moving parallel to the camera sensor - that is, left-to-right across your field of vision. The more difficult panning shots are when the subject is coming toward you, or turning, or moving away.

If it's daytime, you'll probably have plenty of light. Since you're using a relatively slow shutter speed, you'll be using a pretty narrow aperture, which means plenty of DOF, which means it'll be easy to keep the subject in focus. You don't need a shallow DOF: The panning motion is going to blur the background. During daytime races, you likely won't be able to use a wide aperture for a shallow DOF anyway - the low shutter speed is going to necessitate a small aperture, unless you're using ND filter(s).

To get the subject SHARP, it's not a matter of focus - focusing is easy since you have plenty of light and plenty of DOF - but to get the subject sharp is a matter of making sure the subject stays in the same place in the frame, for the whole exposure. I like to use back-button focus, AI Servo, and choose a focus point - the middle one is usually fine. When tracking with AI Servo, the chosen focus point will remain visible. Use that focus point to "lock on" to a high-contrast area of the subject vehicle - such as the wing mirror, door handle, fender vent, racing number, decal, etc - and pan in such a way that your focus box stays exactly on that target area for the entire shot.

Shoot loose and crop for composition later. Remember your #1 goal is to get the subject sharp with a pleasing panning-blurred background. If you can get a nice composition in camera, then great - but don't shoot too tight and screw it up because you're trying to pan and track the subject. You can always crop it later, but you can't fix what you inadvertently cut off.

If you're using one of the automated modes (probably Tv) then make sure you're using an appropriate metering mode. Evaluative is probably good. Spot metering is probably no good - it will overexpose when you shoot a dark car, and underexpose when shooting a light car. (I learned this the hard way)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

TTUShooter
376 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 08, 2013 14:56 |  #14

Holy zombie thread revival, Batman! lol.

lots of good info in here thouogh.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
first shoot with moving cars need advice.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.